1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 HDMI to DVI-D Monitor

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by inaety, Jan 2, 2010.

1. inaety

inaety Member

Hello everyone

I am having problems with my tv and want to switch my Playstation 3 over to my computer monitor. It's an Acer AL2216W that has a DVI-D input. My question is if I were to purchase something like this

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185185&CatId=3661

would I be able to plug it directly into my PS and into the back of the monitor?

And, I know that HDMI has audio integrated and DVI-D does not, so how can I keep my audio whilst being able to play on the monitor?

Thanks

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

1.) Those SHOULD be fine, though I've only ever gone as far as getting an adapter - ie I have the HDMI cable, I plug the HDMI cable into my PS3, I plug the other end to the DVI adapter, I plug the DVI adapter into the DVI port. But there shouldn't be any problems.

2.) You would have to output using the composite cables that come with the PS3 (the red/white stereo audio out). Or you can use the optical port. What do you use for speakers? If you have a set of stereo speakers, you can get an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter, like so: http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1498/p4196a.jpg

Hope that helps.

3. inaety

inaety Member

Well that would be ideal, to use the RCA to 3.5mm jack and just plug it into the auxiliary of my speakers. It was just my thinking that when I have the playstation switch from RCA to HDMI, it would not send audio through the RCA, but rather the HDMI. From my understanding, you're saying it will send audio both ways?

4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, you can choose to send only video through the HDMI cable. (Or, if for some reason you DO decide to send audio through the HDMI, there's still a "Multi-Out" function you can use to output it through the RCA cables.)

Under System Settings, go to Audio Settings and you'll see the option of choosing how you want the PS3 to output audio.

Good luck with the setup. I have that monitor, too, and I have no doubt it'd be a bit tricky to hook the two together. (The monitor I use has built-in HDMI and stereo speakers, so it's very simple to set up.)

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Kaj is correct. I have personally used my PS3 on my Sammy 226BW PC monitor with an HDMI to DVI-D cable using the "Multi-Out" RCA's cables for audio going into my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with the use of an Stereo RCA to Phono Mic jack

Pic

[​IMG]

Link to purchase

But you could use either of these also to suit your needs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. inaety

inaety Member

Alright thanks guys, I'm gonna go try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Also, would any adapter make it possible to allow me to have both DVI-D cables plugged rather than having to switch whenever I don't want to use the Playstation or computer?

7. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

They make switches for that or you can maybe find a DVD-D Y adapter (male 1 plug monitor side to split "Y" female 2 plugs) but I just used the 2 inputs on my monitor VGA for PC and DVI-D for the PS3 and changed the source on the Sammy.

8. inaety

inaety Member

Thanks guys, the set up works perfectly and the 720p is more than phenomenal. I just need a DVI-D switch hub to finish :)

9. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Does your computer not have a VGA output? Because it would seem much easier to me to just plug the computer into the VGA port and the PS3 into the DVI port.

They're extremely cheap; you can get one for $10 max. It'd probably be much less expensive than getting a DVI Y adapter. That said, I don't know your setup, so ignore me. ;)

10. inaety

inaety Member

Your setup has merit. The VGA is great. Thanks man

11. whowazit

whowazit Newbie

I have an Acer monitor, ps3, hdmi - dvi-d converter and hdmi cable but it only says no signal

12. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Have you tried resetting the PS3? Switch it off completely, then press and hold the power button until you hear it beeping. It resets the video output.

13. whowazit

whowazit Newbie

Still a no..i also tried changing the video output and display to hdmi..still a no..