1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 lacks keyboard and mouse

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by chudsmith, May 6, 2007.

1. chudsmith

chudsmith Member

With the price of computers/grafics cards and operating systems rising I had hoped to leave the home computer behind. I mean seriously for the price of a good video card you can buy a ps3, and what does the average joe use there computer for, surfin the net, games maybe msn mesenger. Thats why I'm so disapointed with the ps3 thus far. finaly a console with the grafic power to play the latest games and surf the net, the home computer is doomed. but wait somethings missing, no mouse and keyboard support in any games. most serious gamers will not switch over to a console without a keyboard and mouse to play games not to mention mesenger or just surfin the net. now I know many console gamers say if ya wanna use a keyboard and mouse get a computer, but seriously modern consoles are computers, and if you think it gives an unfair advantage then simply segregate keyboard and mouse users from controler users when playin online. I honestly don't understand why sony would not take advantage of the potenial to convert so many who are sick of crashing computers with 400$ operating systems. without a keyboard and mouse its like a TV with out a remote.

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I was wondering if you did use a keyboard and a mouse how would you use the tilt sensor.Sony uses a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse,because it is easier to use.I don't think they did anything wrong by selling a console with a controller.If you look at all the other next gen consoles they are sold with a controller.If you want to play games with a keyboard and mouse get a PC,because games for PC are mapped out for a keyboard and mouse.That would be like asking Nintendo to take away the controller for their sytem,because somebody wants keyboard and mouse.The controller is the best thing on the Wii,and if you took that away from the system it would suck.I'm not saying the PS3 has a good controller,and if you ask me it needs alot of work.The point is what exactly would be new about keyboard and mouse.

3. chudsmith

chudsmith Member

The point I'm trying to make is why not give people the option. Even if your a die hard who thinks only a controler should be used to play games, which me and many others would say our wrong, you have to admit the PS3 is more than a gaming console. whould you like to use a controler to enter the text in this forum. my point is the PS3 is a computer, just a better cheaper one that sadly has no mouse and keyboard support.

P.S you can use a controler on a computer if you wish. you have the option, why not the other way around.

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with keyboard and mouse,but when it comes to integrating the tilt sensor a controller is needed and the same applies if rumble is available.I don't see any other way around it,unless Logitech or someone like that can make a mouse that supports these features(which I highly doubt).It would take more time to develop games also if you added in keyboard support,because then you would have to add in more keys for mapping the controller scheme.The PS3 is more a game console than a multimedia computer,because it lacks memory for one and is more focused on games.I type in these forums with a computer not my PS3,and I have no problems doing it.I still don't see why your making a big deal out of it though.If your better off using keyboard and mouse then sell your PS3 and get a laptop problem solved ;).

5. 069

069 Member

Try playing a fighting game on a keyboard and tell me how that works out.

Truth is, the PS3 DOES support keyboard and mouse (and recently added support for bluetooth peripherals). You can use the keyboard and mouse to browse the PS3 XMB. Don't blame the PS3. Blame the developers who don't allow keyboard and mouse to be used in their games. It's their call, not Sony's.

6. gkmpb4

gkmpb4 Regular member

The more options the better. it wont hurt. Of coarse if that happens, not all games will support keyboard and mouse gameplay. Games like Resistance and FEAR should have keyboard support. Havent checked if it does. Playstation really needs to focus more on Consumer relatinships and actually "ask" what would be good in up coming updates and next consoles. If they have something like that already, they need to actually start listening. But if they are doing all the other cool stuf like Folding home, that has nothing to do with playing a game, Im pretty sure they can put an update that allows you to enable K&M support for a game before you start. Which would probably disable the Sixaxis controller. (cant always get the best of both worlds)
    probably would have to assign the keys like in any other keyboard supported game. but that wil all be taken care of if they come out with a PS3 exclusive keyboard and mouse.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. moonfrog

moonfrog Member

I have a Dynex wireless keyboard and mouse combo and it works with the PS3. Not all the keys work of course, like email, home, and volume, etc... because I don't have Linux installed on my PS3, but all the letter keys work and it's easier to type with it instead of using the on screen keyboard.

The arrow keys also work for navigating. And it's easy to enter URLs into the browser. Browser still sucks tho.

It all works together, the controller, the mouse, and the keyboard and headset all work at the same time, so it's not like you have to use the keyboard when it's easier to use the controller. Just have all three things next to you when you're sitting on the bed and grab whatever you need to use at that time.

8. chudsmith

chudsmith Member

L-Burna thanks for the advise but I already have a laptop and a computer and a DVD player. But why, I don't need them any more because I have the poor mans media centre. I don't want to sell it, I just want it to be perfect and It's so close. you can't think maping out keys for a Kb and mouse is a serious programing hurdle. many games are great with a controler and I'd use it especialy when tilt or rumble are involved. but I like FPS and for complete control nothin come close to KB and mouse. not to mention the net. the blue tooth is there but no kb or mouse that are supported.
    I tell you what if the 360 gets kb and mouse support I will sell my PS3. I'd just rather see sony win out over microsoft or we'll all end up payin 400$ for an operating system for our consoles if there's no competition.