1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 LED Diag Codes

Discussion in 'PS3' started by Alty75, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Alty75

Alty75 Member

Hi Evereyone
    I am new to this forum and wanted to join to ask a question as i read in another thread here,people mentioning the PS3 LED diagnostics.
    I am not new to console repairs,i have a long history of modding and repairing and re-balling consoles
    My question is can anyone point me in the right direction for the LED diag codes???
    I have been searching the net for hours and cannot find what i'm looking for.

I have a PS3 slim CECH-2502B that just shuts straight down with no standby LED.
    I bought it from ebay and someone has had a good go at reflowing the CELL/RSX and Southbridge! obviously they failed
    I am getting an error code of ggrr/gggg/ggrr/grgg which i'm led to believe is a southbridge issue,so i have reflowed the southbridge on the rework station.
    I now get a LED error code of ggrg/ggrr/gggr/gggg , i'm hoping someone can link me to a site with the codes so i can hopefully get this console back up and running.
    I'm not going to spend too much time on it as time is money and i have plenty to do anyway.
    I am in the middle of reflowing the CELL and if it is still powering down i will check the LED diag to see if it has changed and then i might try reballing the RSX or maybe just reflow it for now.

I'm thinking it is a possible short under one of the BGA's CELL/RSX/Southbridge and i really don't want to go to the extent of re-balling them all if i don't need to

I look forward to your suggestions and comments

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the 1st sequence of a bricked one should be grgr... a normal one should be rrrr... the rest 3 should be either CELL or RSX or SB its more like r=good g=not good... im pretty sure you knew that >_<" i wish i knew more into this :(

3. Alty75

Alty75 Member

Yeah thanks for your reply Cyprien ,I did know that lol
    It would be awsome if there was legend we could all go off! :(

Update
    After reflowing the CELL the LED status reverted back to ggrr/gggg/ggrr/grgg (the original sequence)
    I have just replaced the Southbridge hoping that whoever tried reflowing it has just burnt it out! i'm now getting the same as after reflowing the SB ggrg/ggrr/gggr/gggg
    I'm going to walk away from it for today and re-ball the CELL next and see what that shows.I'm thinking that now i have replaced the SB i can rule that out and aim for the CELL,I think if it was a short under the RSX it would yellow light!
    And when i think more about it i really don't think it is anything to do with the 3 BGA chips anyway but i'm going to re-ball all 3 1 x 1 and if i dont succeed after that it's going in the spare parts bin and must be a component on the mobo!
    I have a hunch it's something that the peron who has attempted to reflow the 3 BGA's without success has damaged!

At least a few of these codes may help someone in the future to rule out a few things :)