1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 motor isn't spinning, drive tray problem?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by me262, Aug 13, 2008.

1. me262

me262 Member

I have a 40GB PS3 that had a bad laser. Couldn't play blu-ray titles (it would but it would stop almost immediately after it got so far), yet would play DVD and CD's fine. This led me to believe it was a problem with the laser. After I ordered one I decided to crack it open (the warranty was already void) and try cleaning the laser head. After I put it back together, the disc would go in, but the motor wouldn't spin. I also noticed some parts on the drive weren't moving, which leads me to believe that I put this back together wrong.
    I just got the replacement laser today, and am still having problems where the motor isn't spinning up.

Video of what's going on: http://www.me262.net/PICT0002.AVI

I did test the laser movement by pulling it out and by inserting a disc, the lens does reset itself.

Would this be a problem with one of the cables, the IC, or how I put my drive back together?

I'd like to get a detail of where the drive parts go.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. jatruh

jatruh Member

Had the same prob. just make sure you plugged in all cables wiring etc... If so look again. Next leave it apart plug it in and do not put the metal casing back on top. Then put the little circle/disk hold down back in place and make sure that the disk loads and also ejects properly.
    If it is not loading and ejecting properly then it might not b aligning w the laser. Once it is loading and ejecting prop. then put the metal casing back 2gether. Hope this helps.

4. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

5. me262

me262 Member

You obviously didn't see the video. It shows the thing powering on, loading and ejecting the disc, without any covers on. I'll try putting the metal covers back on. I also ordered a 2" 8-pin flat flex cable that runs from the board to the drive (Digikey), in case that's the problem.

I think there's something wrong in how I put the cover back on. The two wings for the hole don't part/retract, which I think is the problem.
    Again, see the video.

How would I go about re-aligning the laser?

6. me262

me262 Member

What are the odds of two seperate motors doing it? (Now that I think of it it's probably better since Sony's having blue-ray problems, but there's a number of possibilities right now)

BTW: VIDEO IS 14MB

7. me262

me262 Member

Also want to mention that when the PS3 powers on, I do see the laser assembly move up and down, and the new laser assembly was also shipped with the complete assembly and mounting bracket (no rubber guards though, just transferred those).

8. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

yea from the video it looks like a frozen motor you should just replace the drive for 70 bucks its ten times easier then sell your old one and the laser separately

9. me262

me262 Member

I actually already replaced the entire assembly, which includes the motor.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130242943174&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

Sorry to keep shooting you down, I just know what it is and isn't doing, and what I've done to try to fix it.
    I'll try that route (the entire BD-ROM drive) if I've exhausted all the others.

Everything else seems to work fine, load/eject, power up via disc.
    The cheapest option I can see is that I may have put the BD-ROM lid on wrong, which is causing those wings to not part and retract. I'll post a picture of the back and front here shortly. This is free if I can get this figured out.
    The next cheapest is I think the 8-pin flat flex cable may be damaged (I may have knicked it with a hangnail, but I don't see any visible damage), from what I can see it goes to somewhere on the drive, to the drive controller board, out to the PS3. This is only 3 bucks + S/H from Digikey. The bigger problem is the 60-pin flax flex from the MB to the drive controller board.
    The next route is complaining to the supplier, which I'm talking to right now about it, all they did was give me a installation manual for a 400A (not even a 410A), so I'll be replying ack that it's still not working.

10. me262

me262 Member

11. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

try testing the leads to the motor with a tester

heres the thread I was talking about here this guy had the same problem so you might want to read that and ask your questions there

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. me262

me262 Member

I managed to get the drive spinning, but I still have not been able to put on the top lid. It's running right now completely bare.

There are slider bars on either side of the drive. The left side is connected to the loading motor, and as it's pushed to the front, it lifts the left side of the laser assembly up.
    The right side is more difficult, which relies on the disc position to push the slide bar to the back so it will lift the right side of the assembly, and as it gets to the end, it also opens up a switch to signify the disc is in the drive.
    This seems to be linked with pins on the bottom of the lid (picture 2 or 3) and the slider bar (picture 3).
    I'm letting the laser run a BD movie on repeat while I'll be out visiting for 5 hours, so far it hasn't given any problems, and I'm not expecting any at this point.

So, how exactly do I position this top lid so that it goes on clean, and I can slide a disc in there to get it working?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  13. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

I guess its all in the alignment then btw I saw on your ebay your from michigan I used to live there two years ago in bloomfield

14. me262

me262 Member

Wow... that's amazing. I used to deliver computers out there to the Townsend Hotel.

The laser survived the 8+ hour torture test (playing Chain Reaction on BD), so now it's just aligning the lid with the right slider.
    Of course, I could just run the thing without the covers, given the heat that comes out of here that's probably not a bad thing.

BTW, the xbox-scene forums (forums.xbox-scene.com) of all places seems to be somewhat technical too, I remember this was the place to go for all the xbox technical stuff too.

15. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

yea we have steimy and all them theyre REAL good, but i would put the lid on you might encounter a drity laser and dust and what not and plus accidents happen... I geuss you can do it but I would tinker wiht it for a couple hours then just give up.

16. me262

me262 Member

Try two days running... ^_^
    I'm giving up for the night.

I am getting a lot resistance when I put the cover on in the neutral position.

17. zooom1834

zooom1834 Regular member

how bout you keep a game in it when putting the cover maybe that would work, but if not can you take a high detail vid of installing it.

18. me262

me262 Member

I've got it figured out.
    A member over at the xbox-scene forums suggested to check the metal plate that runs along the bottom at the back of the drive. Sure enough, this was out of place.

The console is working like a dream now, all for 150 bucks and a few days of headaches!
    Here's the thread:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=658703

Thanks for your help!

And to those of you happening upon this thread with the same problem, you suck for getting it done sooner (then again, I didn't have this info when I started, you do).