1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Network Hole Confirmed!!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by nax0101, Jun 18, 2007.

1. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

Over the weekend placa shared with us in THIS Forum thread news of a potential PS3 exploit discovery. Many of the resident PS3Dev'ers experimented with it throughout the weekend, and several (including both CJPC and subdub among others) were able to successfully reproduce and confirm it as working!

Pictured to your left is a screenshot taken from under GAME... the "Warhawk" logo can be modified as well. Although the actual PS3 exploit itself requires no (c) files from the recent PS3 $DK leak, at this time only those with access to it can copy/upload .SELF (encrypted; standard ELF files currently don't work) files to the PS3 HDD (EBOOT.BIN on the HDD) in order to test them. Initially it was thought this method would work with v1.60+ PS3 Firmware, however, at the time of this writing it appears to only work with v1.70+ PS3 Firmware. Please NOTE that this may change, and also we do NOT yet recommend anyone update their console due to this news.

Why not update yet? According to several PS3Dev'ers, this PS3 Network Hole found (including bypass, fake PKG, etc) is now a way for Devs to attempt to copy/replace a .SELF (executable) file to the PS3 HDD... however, they have yet to actually upload a file which brings about a true "Hello World PS3" (which is the primary goal of course, followed thereafter by homebrew, iSO Loaders, and so on). As always, we will post updates as they are available so be sure to stay tuned throughout the week!

check it out urself on ps3news.com!!!

2. nodroG479

nodroG479 Member

exciting!

3. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

custom firmware here we come im not really trying to back up ps3 games yet since i dont have a blu ray burner but i have backups of ps2 games and running elf files would be sweet but im happy updating because the last couple of updates were nice in themselves but i have one question if i do the firmware bypass i can do everything that i would normally do on playstation network

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  4. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

If we could get around the FAT32 only being able to have under 4gb files thing, we could use the HDD.

5. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

Update: A PS3 Network Hole: Linux Method guide is now available for those interested! This Network Hole allows users to copy your own files to the PS3 HDD. Currently the issue is that the .SELF on the HDD is run off the EBOOT.BIN, and the .SELF is an NPDRM encrypted .SELF, so you can't just replace it with our own... however, it will help PS3Devs to examine what makes a .SELF work (aside from what is already known- SHA1 hashes, packed and encrypted, etc).

Keep in mind this may work for other PS3 titles besides Warhawk and also this process won't actually allow you to execute unsigned code (homebrew, iSO Loaders, etc) yet. It's just one step with much more to come... A brief video courtesy of CJPC with a touch of Sopranos humor is also available below (as well as for download from HERE)- enjoy!

if you go onto the site theres also a video feed showing you how it works

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

@glenquag

I think there could be a way around the FAT32 system,but I still haven't had time to mess with it yet.You have to use Paragon NTFS Linux and compile it with the kernel you want to use.To get the full features of it though you have to pay for it,which is a downside to it also.The description after reading it explains it can read/write with full support,and there would be no limitations.It is just something to do when I get some time off to actually mess with it.