1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 new laser, stopped in middle of game, spindle will not spin, red laser on blu ray

Discussion in 'PS3' started by kugotsu, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

anyway i bought a new kes-400a laser for my ps3 and have been playing on it the past few days, yesterday it froze in the middle of a game, now the disc won't spin at all when i insert it. A red laser tries to read the disc when i insert a blu ray. I tried restoring filesystem, no go. Defective? Or should i be worried about the spindle?

ps3 model is cechg01

2. irootall

irootall Member

Your spindle motor most likely took a crap. When I replace lasers, I will do the entire deck plate just to make sure there are not any other issues. Find a deck plate without laser and you should be good to go.

3. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

actually it was the blu ray controller board. downloaded demos wouldnt play. although i tested it with the laser out. Do you think the laser would need to be in to play ad emo off the hard drive?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. irootall

irootall Member

No, you wouldnt need the laser in to play downloaded games. What does it do when you try a demo?

5. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

Just a black screen. Same with playstation home. My research seems to point to that being related to the controller board.

6. irootall

irootall Member

The controller board has nothing to do with downloaded games only disc based. Put your blu ray back together and insert a disc, then try a downloaded demo. If you get the black screen, eject the game while at the black screen.

7. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

That isn't gonna happen, it's kind of a long story but my controller board is basically scrap. I bought a new one and was gonna remarry by transferring the firmware chip, while i was putting solder on there i got a little careless and ripped some pads off it. I have read that the controller board is necessary to play stuff off the hdd, since it runs something off it.

8. irootall

irootall Member

My personal stock ps3 doesnt have a blu ray drive at all and downloaded content works for me. If the IC chip is messed up, Progskeet is your only option. You can use that to dump the NOR which contains the blu ray key. You could always downgrade and jailbreak,then you wouldn't have to worry about the blu ray anymore.

9. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

progskeet involves too much soldering. there's no way i could do it.

10. irootall

irootall Member

Then my suggestion would be to locate someone local that has a progskeet, send it to someone that does, or sell it

11. kugotsu

kugotsu Member

Currently trying to sell it :) hopefully someone will take it of my hands.