1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 not seeing flash or external drives

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by efesbe, Feb 23, 2009.

1. efesbe

efesbe Member

Hello, this is my first post and I've had my ps3 for a year now. Been trying to get my ps3 to be able to access a flash drive or even an external hard drive but with no luck. I've tried the FAT32 formatting of the flash and even making dedicated folders for the files. I'm trying to transfer or even just to play, mp3, movies or pictures. I stick the flash drive into the usb and the flash drive lights up but nothing appears on the PS3 menus. Nothing under each of the drop down menu on the PS3 operating system. I was told to press the Triangle button and nothing happens. Under each category are the usualy items from that menu such as, "Search for Media Servers", and some files I already have stored in that section. I even tried trying to copy a file that is in the PS3 into the flash, when it says to insert a storage media, I insert my flash and nothing happens. The flash drive lights up but no access. Same thing with any external hard drives. Please someone help me. I'm all out of options.

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Hm... have you tried updating the firmware? That MIGHT be the issue, though I doubt it.

And have you cleaned out the USB ports? The USB drive? Did you bend the drive or the port or anything like that?

If not, it might be a hardware issue... might have to give Sony a call.

3. efesbe

efesbe Member

Firmware is always updated whenever I use the ps3 for anything. I always perform the updates. Tried about 3 different flash drives, some formatted as suggested and some not, but then formatted to FAT32 afterwards. It does power up the flash so I'm not sure if dirty USB ports make a difference. I've been trying since I got the ps3 a year ago.

4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, yeah, they should always be FAT32 formatted. The PS3 won't recognize them at all otherwise.

But since it's not seeing them even when they're FAT32, you should probably call Sony. Are you at least seeing the flash drive pop up as an option to click on in the XMB? Like, "USB Flash Drive" or something like that.

5. efesbe

efesbe Member

That's exactly what I am not seeing. Nothing new at all, No type of activity at all once inserted. The usb ports work well for the controllers but that's about it.

6. Vandiyan

Vandiyan Member

It doesn't need to be formatted to FAT32. When you insert your flash drive you should see it show up on the XMB screen. Go to the section you want (video, pictures, etc.) and hit your Triangle butting. Then click display all.

7. efesbe

efesbe Member

I think I mentioned above that absolutely nothing pops up on the xmb or anywhere. There is nothing but the usual selection under each category. I have seen what it's supposed to look like when I tried it on someone elses PS3 and I do not see it on mine. I am assuming I got the bad one out of millions. I've left it plugged in for hours and even tried replugging it or even turning the ps3 off and on and still nothing comes up.

8. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Yeah, your best bet is probably to call Sony. They'll probably ask you a lot of the same questions as me, but then again, they'll probably ask you something better.

Just hope it isn't bad enough that you have to fork out $150.

9. efesbe

efesbe Member

My ps3 is exactly one year old last Valentines day so I guess I'm no longer under warranty. I don't know what that $150 is for but it isn't worth the fix. I may never have the use of transferring files in and out of a flash or external drive but I don't want to fork out $150 for anything. I can always stick to streaming. Will I need this feature if I want to upgrade the hard drive or will a cd work?

10. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

If you're upgrading your hard drive, all you have to do is swap it out. The PS3'll automatically reformat it and everything.

The biggest thing you'll have to worry about is getting your saves from your old drive to your new. Sadly, you WILL need the USB ports for that. Unless you don't mind the gamedata loss, of course. Then you're good.

11. efesbe

efesbe Member

That is something I thought about but fortunately, I'm not a gamer and only use the ps3 for BD movies. I have some videos and mp3s in there but nothing that needs backup. Well at least I know not to put anything that will need to be saved somewhere else.
    Just got a reply from Sony regarding the ps3 and they gave me the most obvious solution. Apparently they failed to read where I mentioned that NOTHING comes up on the ps3 once flash is plugged in. My flash drives work on other peoples ps3 except for mine, does that give a clue on how you can answer my question. This is the reason I go to forums because there are people out there that do remarkable things with their ps3 and will most likely have a solution then the obvious: PAY ME $500 AND WE'LL GET IT FIXED, from Sony.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Did you email them? 'Cuz it shouldn't be surprising that you'd get that response. It's almost guaranteed that it's just an automated email or something.

Try calling them, because talking to an actual person might prove to be more helpful than an automated bot that just scans messages and stuff. At least that's what I think. I dunno, I could be wrong about emails. And about calling them, too, for that matter.

From what I've heard, it's the general rule of customer service to suck. so if you DO decide to call them, be ready for some ignorant personalities.

13. efesbe

efesbe Member

yeah I used their support page and wrote a letter regarding my issue. The reply didn't look like an automated letter and I replied to the email and immediately got another reply saying that it may be a hardware problem that I would need to ship to them. I am out of warranty since this was given to me VAlentines day 2008 but only a few weeks. Definitely not worth $149 for this feature to work but I'll see if they can still give me a warranty. Is receiving a refurbished unit worth sending mine in? Either repaired or refurb or possibly new.

14. jpenn600

jpenn600 Member

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I noticed this issue hadn't been resolved yet, and I had the same problem and was able to work around it.

The USB drives on my PS3 don't like to recognize some flash drives, my digital camera, and pretty much all external hard drives. It's really picky and will only recognize some flash drives. I checked to see if it's a format problem and it isn't.

Here's how I worked around it. One day I figured I'd try to load some stuff onto the PS3 with a flash drive I knew it didn't recognize, just to try one last time. Plugged into my PS3 USB drive was a USB multi-hub, so I just plugged it into the hub. Lo and behold, it recognized it! I tried all my other devices, and it recognizes them, too (unless it's in a really weird format). I even tried it for one of my friends who was having the same problem and it worked for him too.

So basically, try connecting your devices to a USB hub that's attached to the PS3. I think it has something to do with the type of USB plug not working on the PS3 USB receiver.

15. efesbe

efesbe Member

I figured out a different solution that I'm not sure anyone would have known. Actually I read it on some other forum. The USB flash drive I owned was the SanDisk Cruzer and most SanDisk has their own application that runs when you insert it into a PC, but when inserted into the PS3, it will not work because of that software. Formatting the drive does not remove the application and only a removal software from SanDisk will remove it. I did send in my perfectly working PS3 for a refurbished one and I was having the same problem. I figured out the solution after receiving the replacement, so I was out a perfect PS3. I don't know if this is a problem for all brands of USB drives that do not get recognized by the PS3 but it sure was the problem for me with the SanDisk.

16. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

17. onehanded

onehanded Regular member

I have a similar problem but with a ps3 slim with no bluetooth/wifi and only right usb port works.
    The first one does detect usbs as I put a ps3 key in and it lit up but said unknown usb detected so its got to be working.
    I noticed when I qa toggle the console it comes up with that error.
    Also I got no bluetooth or wifi on the console after downgrading with the e3 flasher.
    I have tried rewriting the original dumps and still no joy..
    I have a funny feeeling that there are drivers of some sought missing for the bluetooth and wifi,and also usb