1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps3 on pc moniter HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by NinReznor, Jun 25, 2007.

1. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

Hi guys, i just recently bought my ps3 and since i dont have a hd tv yet i was wondering if i cud hook it up to my pc moniter.
    its a mag innovision 19". ive got a HDMI to DVI cable but there isnt an input on my moniter only an AGP output lead
    my graphics card has an DVI and AGP input.
    is it possible to run it through the pc? if not are there any cables or converters?
    i was thinking maybe if i get a DVI to AGP converter, i could run HDMI from the ps3 to DVI to AGP on the moniter?
    any help would be appreciated. :)

2. Abhi262

Abhi262 Member

here u go

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-DVI-I-...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1182882597&sr=8-3

I have the cable u need...pity i couldnt snd it to u, i live in the UK. anyway with this adapter, your set-up should look like this

ps3 --> HDMI to DVI cable --> DVI to VGA adapter --> Your computer monitor

dont connect it to ur pc, connect it to ur monitor

btw do you know how your are going to get sound? as HDMI is picture and sound wheras DVI and VGA deal with the picture only. if your monitor has audio input, you will have to buy a phono adapter thingy that turns it into one pin (cant remember what its called) and connect that to your monitor or speakers.

or if you have a dvd player which is connected to speakers connect the 2 phono cables to ur dvd player

btw if you dont now, the phono cable is the red and white part of the cable (which is red, white & yellow) that came with ur ps3 inside the box

i hopw this helps :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  3. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

thanks!
    ive got an amplifier connected to some speakers so i cud hook the phono cables to that and get sound.
    1 more qustion though. if i have the av/phono cable that came with the ps3 and the hdmi to my moniter connected to the ps3 at the same time wouldnt that cause any problems or would the av just send the sound signal and the video signal through the hdmi?
    i think my amp has got an optical input ill have to check when i get home as im sure that would just be easier.
    thanks for your help! :)

4. SpideyBoy

SpideyBoy Member

ive been wanting to do this for quite some time...i cant reely afford a full blown hd tv...so i was gona use a viewsonic or something...il use this for reference later...so...thanks haha...

5. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Something tells me that this is not going to work (resolution sync problems). You may need a HD TV/PC monitor (more expensive than a HD TV). I will give anything a shot though. I think you can use the video/audio cable and the HDMI at the same time; you have to change the settings on the PS3 XMB under audio. I use HDMI on my 65” HD TV and fiber for the audio. I would like to hook up to a 19” LCD monitor so I can play games at something better than 480p and 1080i as my HD TV will not do 720p. The smaller size of a PC monitor will also look much better than my big a$$ 65” HD TV.

6. NinReznor

NinReznor Regular member

well ive ordered the converter so i should be able to test it out within the next few days n post back with my results.
    djgeojoe what do you mean by resolution sync problems?
    im pretty sure my moniter would support hd as i downloaded an mgs4 trailer and it displays fine in 720p. looks f'in beautiful as well! cant wait!

65"!!!!! thats bigger than my house!

7. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

The horizontal and vertical scan rates are different for HD TV than the PC, If the PC monitor was designed to receive the HD signals then it should work but if it is a regular monitor I dint think it will work. I have a samsung SyncMaster 204B (native 1200X1600 LCD) I wonder if it can display a 720p HD signal using a HDMI to DVI converter or HDMI to DVI to VGA converter. This will be interesting to see if it works. If it does then I will be able to play most games in 720p instead of 480p on my big screen. The 1080i games will look better to if it works.

8. luamaniac

luamaniac Member

9. ryanjafc

ryanjafc Regular member

i have my ps3 running through my dell monitor with a hdmi - dvi, then the phono cable from the ps3 into my hi-fi, works great and i even got surround sound through the room so its better again. but my monitor only goes to 720p i think i dont know if it will go any higher, can anyone tell me i have a dell 2007wfp 20.1" monitor.

10. luamaniac

luamaniac Member

No you need at least a 22" to get 1080p

11. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Do you think my monitor will work its 20.1” but its native resolution is 1200X1600, it should be able to do 1080p?

12. tyler123

tyler123 Regular member

the res of my 22 is 1680x1050.seems to do 1080 ,will check if it is `i` or `p` .hope it is `p` but i doubt it .FP222WH

13. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Does anyone know if the PS3 HDMI video output for games has HDCP or is it only when playing blue ray movies and DVDs?

14. luamaniac

luamaniac Member

Well ur games display in HD on an HDCP monitor so you tell me.

15. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Your computer displays an HD signal on a non HDCP monitor. HDCP was designed to keep people from copying movies not video games. Your computer video output is not a HDCP signal and you can play games on it so its stands to reason that the PS3 might not use HDCP when playing games only when playing movies, I just don't know for sure. If you think you know the answer, please let me know. If you are speculating, what is your thought process for that conclusion? I want the facts.