1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Opinions

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by opinion8, May 11, 2007.

1. opinion8

opinion8 Member

Alright, so I know ps3 pricing has been the subject for a hell of a long time, with some siding completely with the "it's extortionate, I refuse" side and others going the other way, saying that everyone should stop complaining about the price and even suggesting that its reasonable.Everything in context, its still a whopping great amount of money to pay to a company who really dont seem to care about their European market, as evidenced in the price drop seen before launch in Japan on the 20gb machine.Where is our price drop?There must be one coming but will it be in the near future or closer to Christmas?That being said, will it even be much of a price drop, it could be a measly £50.I'm tempted to buy the bloody thing just because I have the summer to play it and get over the newness of it and at least it wont disrupt my 4th year of uni.PS3, you evil tempting beast you!!Anyway, long story short, what do you think, I've just joined this forum and I'll wager most of you have an opinion on when and how much it'll be dropping by?

2. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I cant see it dropping anytime soon mate, as its only released.
    Considering the price... it is steep, but you would pay nearly 800euros+ for a standalone BluRay player.
    It runs Linux, internet, free online play (take note Microsoft), i paid 340stg for mine, traded in the PS2 and 5 games, had a few quid on my GAME card and a voucher from the wife, so all in all, it was grand... money well spent i say. Havent touched the 360 since i got it. ;P

3. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Not too familar with the exchange rate dollars to pounds being I live in the US....lol.... j/k
    I paid $599.99 back in Early Dec.. that was 60gig.... now its 599.82 same place I bought it... Wow! what a price drop.. I should take mine back and get the a new one...... .17 cent drop....
    Seriously I dont see the PS3 dropping anytime withing the next year.... I believe it will stay bought the same until after next Christmas... I seen mostly heavy gamers,HD Buffs,and those interested in just having a Blue Ray player where the ones buying the PS3.. I think Sony will keep the price about the same and try to catch more regular users Christmas 07'. I believe with the more available game titles, will eventually come ps3 price drop, but I dont see it being significant drops... maybe 50-80 bucks....

4. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

I think the price is fairly reasonable for what you get (the same price as a 360 + HD), cheaper than the 360 with HDMI and HD, plus includes WiFi. I don't own one and can't justify going into debt for one, even though my projector handles 720p/1080i.

I have plenty of other gaming systems to keep me busy until PS3 drops its price and/or becomes softmoddable (PC, Wii, DC, N64, NES, DS, PSP), and I don't think they will drop the price any time soon just because of the exorbitant amount of money they are losing from it already.

5. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

I'm kind of split on the pricing issue. For $600 you get a gaming console that also runs Linux and has a Blu-ray drive. Problem is that the console isn't playing games at the highest resolution promised. For someone with a $3000 tv they're not getting the best. The games so far have been so-so. The modding scene hasn't stepped up like i thought it would to make Yellow Dog or Ubuntu run every Linux app.
    Right now, i personally wouldn't pay $600 for the machine. With some more games, yes it will be worth it. Sony is going to get itself into trouble unless the 3rd parties deliver a killer gaming experience as promised. But a price drop of $100 would really help out if that were to happen. Let's hope they intend on sticking with the system for 10 yrs.

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

A guy at gamestop told me he heard through the grape vine that the PS3 price will drop this summer, I am sure there is a thread somewhere on the net about it. Vine..Thread.. Is there a connection LOL!

7. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

If there is a price cut this year, I think it will drop in September to compete with Halo 3. Canada already had a price raise, when it came out it was $659.99 and now it's $699.99. So, I guess a price cut will just bring it back to where it was at launch ;)

It's like a "sale" at SportChek

8. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I know, it's so stupid i live in Canada too. I just noticed superstore JUST started selling it for $659.99 again, and futureshop is selling it for 699.99 WITH a blu-ray remote...but yeah still, i don't see it dropping soon. I'm buying one in two days on Saturday=)