1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 phat blu ray drive problem

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by giggsy07, Jun 5, 2012.

1. giggsy07

giggsy07 Member

Hi.My brothers 40 gig ps3 phat packed in yesterday while i was playing it so im left with the guilt of being my fault.Wanted to see if i can get some help on home repair myself.I was playing MW3,after 15 mins the game crashed.I had to force shut down and when i powered back up i found that the disc drive is no longer reading any type of media.Games/dvd/music.It accepts discs,blue light stays on but no spinning.I took it apart and replaced the lens with a similar model 400a lens put it back together and the same story no spinning from the spindle.Any ideas much appreciated..Thanks

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

I personally would switch the entire drive, try getting a YLOD box off ebay that hasn't been tampered with (preferably a 40 Gig model), then switch the drive boards and build the drive off the YLOD box into the working one.

3. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

Dont forget that f you swap the board you have to remarry it to the new drive, there is a tools out there that does this.

4. giggsy07

giggsy07 Member

Thanks guys:)

5. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No, that's why you swap the drive boards, so you don't have to remarry them. If you don't swap the drive boards, then you have to remarry. But these drive boards aren't soldered to the drive, so swapping them is piece of cake.

6. giggsy07

giggsy07 Member

Sweet!!!:)