1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Phat startup problems

Discussion in 'PS3' started by Mickoz74, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Regular member

Ok Basically when i power on the device after about 4-5 secs the power light flashes red and 3 Bleeps. I have read some stuff on the issue, The fan test completes successfully, removed and reseated hard drive. Only other thing I found was the power supply unit becomes faulty after long use as it is not cooling properly.

All Help Greatly appreciated

Same results without hard drive installed

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

YLOD. That's the standard method of the PS3 to say "something is defective".
    There are many ways to fix this, but I personally prefer the oven fix:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYSvdvjDLw
    In my oppinion it is more permanent than most methods.

3. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Regular member

thanks I'll have to ask my friend if he will allow me to do this, what in your experience is the success rate? I thought the YLOD was only yellow and the red was something else, YLOD is just a term for the hardware problem?, i was thinking RLOD on XBOX is red so YLOD must be yellow.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

It blinks yellow, then instantly starts flashing red.
    Check the first 25 seconds on this vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uoKXn-c-rU
    Successrate is about 50 to 70% I'd say, but it's hard to tell how long the fix lasts. Could be three months, could be some years.

5. crosseye

crosseye Member

I've found the oven method to be a better fix for mine. I've tried the heat gun fix on YouTube by "Gilksy", did that 3 or 4 times. Each time it lasts for less time. The last time only worked for a few seconds. Tried the oven method and has been working flawlessly for 2 weeks now. Did find a replacement that has been professionally reballed. So now have 2 units that are working. Just couldn't find the courage to get rid of my first one since it cost $500.00 when I bought it.sentimental I guess. Good luck.