1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ps3 safe mode

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by GamerRay, Jan 15, 2016.

1. GamerRay

GamerRay Newbie

What's up guys I'm a noob to this and I came across a 40 gig ps3 with the sd card reader and 4 usb...so it used to be a store display but now was inherited. The console was made to play game demos and wanted to know if I can mod it from safe mode? So I was told that the only way I can get rid of what sony put on there was to run safe mode and install a custom firmware. Can anyone help as to if this is correct or maybe someone knows another method?

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

As far as I understand this you have to rebuild the official firmware to get it to install on a demo mode PS3:
    https://de.ifixit.com/Answers/View/89812/Can+I+permanently+remove+Demo+mode+from+a+Demo+PS3
    The answer by Joey Johnson has the instructions you need. I just found this via google, so I am not 100% certain it works.
    What firmware is your PS3 on? If it's on or below 3.55 don't update with anything above 3.55 ;)
    Oh, and by the way: the model version with the card reader and 4 usb instead of 2 was originally a 60GB version, one of the only two models that are able to play PS2 games.

3. GamerRay

GamerRay Newbie

So I kinda put the 4.76 on there because I was told that if I want to jailbreak it then I would have to first put an official fw then jailbreak it...is there anyway I can backtrack that?

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

So, your PS3 really was on 3.55? I am just asking because 3.55 was a firmware that was fully hacked and could be jailbroken. Sony has closed the exploits with 3.56 and no exploits are known for higher firmwares. There are a few downgrading methods, but all of them are hardware-mod based, meaning you need a dongle and some more stuff.

You should be able to rebuild 4.76 too, if you can you can update with your rebuilt 4.76 version, to get your PS3 out of demo mode.

5. GamerRay

GamerRay Newbie

Yea so before I put 4.76 it was running on 3.55...I work for best buy and it used to be on the sony display and nobody even knew it was there until I found it...works great but I was told that in order for me to put a cfw I had to remove the demo mode with an official fw...I would find links for so called cfw but I would either get a corrupted message or no data found...I appreciate ur help in this matter it's just racking my brain

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Yea, but you should have used official 3.55 to remove demo mode, not official 4.76. You can't use cfw anymore, unless you downgrade, which is only possible if you do some hardware mods.
    You should, however, be able to remove the demo mode by using PS3 MFW to rebuild 4.76 official firmware. Then you can sell it as a retail PS3.

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

doh :(

8. GamerRay

GamerRay Newbie

:( this sucks this thing is a powerhouse...I don't think I can sell it though considering cosmetically it's scratched on top but I've thrown everything in there so far and runs everything great...I just don't want to get rid of it since it's the 60 gig...I can I can use it as a standard ps3 like the rest of us normies...thanks for the clarification though u helped alot