1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Stopped working/ technical question

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by chipperja, Aug 19, 2007.

1. chipperja

chipperja Member

Ok so here is the story...
    The other day I rented Tony Hawk Project 8 for my PS3. Each time playing it about 5 minutes into the game the system would turn off. Sometimes it would go into standby mode, and sometimes it would turn all the way off and I would have to switch the back power switch off and back on to get it running again. Every other game I tried ran perfect for hours. Anyway, I took the game back and got a different copy of the same game. This time, it did it a couple times then permanently shut it down with no way to turn it back on. I called Sony and they are sending me a new one, but my question is, from a technical stand point, what could possibly cause two copies of the same game to do this damage?

2. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

no idea ive had Project 8 since december and nothing like that has ever happened.

3. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Project 8 never did that to me either but thats an odd problem maybe the power switch had a short in it

4. xXxBG

xXxBG Regular member

Guess ur just Unlucky :(

5. Hurmpie

Hurmpie Guest

Maybe overheating, for this game to be heavier on the cpu and videocard? Is your PS3 located at a good ventilated environment?

6. chipperja

chipperja Member

Yeah I think there is probably a short somewhere. It was just weird that 2 different copies of the same game did it, while others worked fine for several hours. I don't think it was over heated because it was in a well ventilated area, and it would do it right after firing the machine up after sitting over night.

7. Hurmpie

Hurmpie Guest

The PS3 shuts itself down for safety if it gets to warm/overheated, but if this is not the issue then I also think it's indeed a short due to a production failure or something... but why only on that particular title??? It should've occured more often...
    Weird...

8. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

First if your playing long enough for it to shut down because its over heating than you need to get a better ventalated area or stop take a break sometime..... Ive played several games all night long with no breaks and have left my ps3 on for a day on accident and NEVER had overheating problems

9. SpideyBoy

SpideyBoy Member

same here ^ ^...i keep mine next to my window with my fan on and ive NEVER had an overheat prob...but it is kinda freaky weird it only happened with P8...i never had a problem ever with the game myself...