1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Swap Switch Tutorial

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pizzag, Apr 22, 2007.

1. TrowaX31

TrowaX31 Guest

oh ok thanks for the reply. Anyone still have the pictures Xenepp posted on page 25 about using the card reader power as a power source for the motor ?. Anyone know where i can find an Nyko Intercooler around the GTA area on page 6 on ChokeDyou's post thanks.Can someone help me please my drive having problems ejecting disc i think it has something to do with the two brown piece on the sides on the driver my spring is loose and not sure how it goes back in thanks.I had my heart in my mouth during the whole process but i finally got it to work great guide and awesome mod.Damn my system auto suck in and suck out is dead, don't know how i removed the original wires and put in my new one, i worked before like a minute ago damn anyone with any suggestion to help me out ? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
  2. themoron

themoron Member

Hello, does any one know were you can buy parts for the ps3 i need the censor cause i think i broke mine.

3. SrLocutus

SrLocutus Guest

Hi guys, could anybody help ? I noticed that few people had problems with the broken laser/dvd reader, after reading all messages (pizzag ?), and I was unable to see how they purchased or fixed their censor/dvd reader part of in the PS3. Do I need to send the console to Sony for repair, or can I just buy the broken piece and fix it myself? If this is the case how can I order it ?
    Unfortunately I have the same problem.. even after waiting 10 minutes, my dvd reader died on me (one switch). At this point.. My console is only reading PS3 games.
    Thank you for the help guys.

4. David891

David891 Regular member

I think you can buy spare parts, or even new blu ray drive from ebay.

5. SrLocutus

SrLocutus Guest

After calling Sony PS3, the flat rate fee for fixing a PS3 out of warranty is $149.00 USD, and they will email the pre-paid label so I can send the PS3 for repair. The detail is that the laser lens in eBay is going from $60.00 to $90.00 USD. Good luck for those with broken lenses.

6. dudelink

dudelink Member

i did that but Why is it when there is a disk in my ps3 while its turned off then i turn it on it wont work??it only shows a black screen but if there is no disk inside it it will work just fine..i tried pressing and holding for 5 sec. it didnt work why?

7. dudelink

dudelink Member

i did that but Why is it when there is a disk in my ps3 while its turned off then i turn it on it wont work??it only shows a black screen but if there is no disk inside it it will work just fine..i tried pressing and holding for 5 sec. it didnt work why?

8. ziddiri

ziddiri Member

Hi,
    Thanks for tutorials. I have read all messages in the thread. I have a few questions.
    - Is there any solution to get 3V from ps3 itself? I don't want to use an external battery source or adapter. I didn't find a sharp solution in this thread. How can I do that?
    - Is there any way to stop drive motor from spinning? Do we have to wait about 8 min. 30 sec. ? Or if we eject the disc when the motor is spinning, does the motor or disc harm?
    - I decided to use 2 switch mod with 4 pole switch and 3 way switch. Is there any update to this mod?

I'll appreciate that if anyone answers.
    Regards,

9. David891

David891 Regular member

I have used the cardreader as power supply, someone had posted pictures of where to connect wires long time ago, but I'm not sure if the pictures are still there.
    You still need to wait 8:30 minutes for the motor + laser to stop working. No way to stop that. In the beginning there were people having a broken laser, probably caused by not waiting 8:30 min.

I'm almost sure it will damage the laser so you better wait for it to stop spinning.
    One more thing, I did this mod long time ago, but right now I almost never use this mod anymore.
    If I would have the choise now I never had done the mod, cause now I have a ps3 a with coupele holes in it, 2 switches on the bottom + I can only eject discs manually cause this mod broke my automatic disc eject fuction.
    Be sure you want to risk of breaking your ps3, you want to wait 8:30 before able to load backup and you want to do a mod that is almost not reversable (sorry for bad english). I wish I had bought a cheap 2nd hand ps2 instead, and dont have to deal with the concequences now.
    So be 100% sure you want to do it.

10. tsrps3

tsrps3 Regular member

Well, I dunno what you did exactly David, but the way i set up the mod is 100% reversable.
    Unsolder motor wires, solder original wires back, put back the tray sensor plug in; that's it, my PS3 is brand new again, no holes no nothing. If you play PS2 games this mod is well worth doing.. at your OWN RISK.

11. David891

David891 Regular member

I broke my eject button, (think because my batteries were sending constantly power to my drive) so without the mod I cant even manually eject discs anymore. That is when I decided to built the switches in my ps3, to give it a better look cause I'll have to keep as long as i have my ps3. It is possible, as you did, to make the mod reversable, but if you are going to use internal power as you wanted, it is already more difficult to unmod everything.

12. josealex9

josealex9 Member

Hello there... I have a problem...

I managed to install the switch, after HOURS of work, everything was ok...

But then I noticed that the disc isnt spinning, I dunno why, i attached again the stock cables and mines of the switch since I read in this thread that It woulf fix it but nope!!!

The only thing that I see is that the blue light is on when i insert a disc, but nothing more, I made shure everything is pluged and all...

What can be wrong? please help me :(

I checked and the bubbile on the top right part of the screen is spinning, but it just wont load anything, what coulb be wrong? :(

Also when I turn of the ps3 the led emits a purple light and it goes up and down but nothing more, still no spinning games u.u

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  13. sunnysmat

sunnysmat Member

hi guys... ive posted my problem in this thread as u guys have been playing around with ps3 motherboard connectors.....

please help me out

I've got a PS3 here that does not pull any disc in. There is no disc inside. Everything inside the drive works so far from what I can tell. It's only that whenever I try to put a disc in it, the blue led just blinks and the drive will not pull the disc in. I guess the optical sensor works. I've already tried using three working blu ray drives (with their respective optical sensors) with the daughterboard of the PS3 that is having this issue. Even though I did that, the disc still does not get pulled in.
    i opend up my ps3(80 gb us)to fit in some led's in it.
    to check the power from the blu0ray drive connector on the motherboard, i used a mutimeter and it read 12V d.c. b/w the 2nd and the 4th connector. i dont know what the other two terminals(the 1st n the 3rd)are for.

when i switched to ammeter to check the current in those, i dont know what hapnd and since then my ps3 is not taking in any discs, whenever i try to put in discs, only the blue light blinks n nothing else hapns....bt rest of my ps3 works fine since i can watch movies n play saved demo games...

i ws actuly testing the voltage so that i could connect som led's in it... bt it worked fine after testing the voltage directly from the pns while the drive was connected.

bt when i used my multimeter as ammeter, as said by "SHARKEM", i actually connected it in parallal by mistake n since then it is not working....

guys. plz help me out.... plz tell me how can i or any one els can fix it...

14. David891

David891 Regular member

@ sunnysmat
    You might have the same problem as I have, after I soldered 2 wires to the motor, I connected a battery pack to do a manual switch, so I could play ps2 backups.
    After a while, I dont know what axcatly happened, but my eject button didnt work anymore either (the post are somewhere in the middle of this topic, some other users had the same problem)
    At that time we thought it was caused bij sending power into the drive, that broke some kind of fuse. Nobody knew how to fix it, so I built my whole Swap Swintch mod into my ps3, so I can now eject all the discs with that.

2 things you can do:
    1) Find out how to repair it, I have no idea how, but i'd love to know how to fix this problem too (lot more work to pull discs in and out with my swap switch switch)
    2) built in the swap switch that we have, this way you can still use your ps3, but its a little more work swapping discs and you will have to solder some into your ps3 and cut some holes in it (to built in the switch)

15. sunnysmat

sunnysmat Member

thanks david891.....
    i would too like to build the swap switch...
    bt in the swap switch tut. i saw that u took the power from the bluray disc drive connectors on the motherboard... bt since the problem seems to b wid motherboard so i cant any more draw any pwer from the board since it reads only 2.5 volts insted of the normal 12 volts....
    is there any other way around????

16. David891

David891 Regular member

I took the power from the card reader, wich is about 4 or 4,5 volts.
    i think 2,5 volts should be enough for the motor since the original power from the motor is only 3 volts I thought.

Someone posted pictures of how to use power of the cardreader, but those pictures are removed, and I cant remember where it had to be connected.

17. sunnysmat

sunnysmat Member

that is not a problem at all buddy..... i dont have a card reader on my ps3... it is a 80 gb us ver.

here are the pics of my mobo if u wana c 'em

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/sunnysmat/Ps3?feat=directlink

18. sunnysmat

sunnysmat Member

thanks....

i have succesfuly built my swap switch (the three way switch method)....
    now i can put the disc in and pull it out without any problem.... bt the disc stays there and doesnt even rotate because by this method v are only able to power the disc load motor and not the other disc systems...

please tell me a way to make the disc spin and work normal as i dont have any power from the motherboard.....

in a post u have mentiond that two out of the 4 wires that connect the drive to the board are dedicated only to power the disc load motor.... please tell me which ones are those and if the other two wires are for rest of the work, how much voltage do they need and how can i power those.....\\\\

please help out....

19. David891

David891 Regular member

Is the original connector from the drive to the motherboard still in place?

20. sunnysmat

sunnysmat Member

yes it is.... all the connectors are intact....
    the ribon data cable is also fine. bt as ive told u earlier, there is very little voltage in that connector which is not enough to power up the whole drive system..... i am able to put in and eject the disc by the swap switch bt not play them