1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 to PC Monitor

Discussion in 'PS3' started by DeepMagic, May 8, 2011.

1. DeepMagic

DeepMagic Member

Hi!

I just bought one of the old 60GB backwards compatible PS3s with 3.55 firmware and waiting for it to be shipped from eBay. While my mouth is watering to have some fun with it once it arrives, there are a few technical things that have to be sorted out first. I don't have a TV (never had a use for one) so I want to connect it to my PC monitor which has a DVI connection. Since the PS3 I bought does not come with the video cable I'm wondering what the best thing to do in my case is. Should I buy the PS3 video cable and then buy an HDMI to DVI converter and hook it that way or should I just buy a cable that has HDMI on one end and DVI on the other? Maybe this sounds like a noobish question but I'm quite new to all this. I appreciate any help I can get on this.

EDIT: I realize I may have asked an incredibly dumb question. Seems pretty obvious that all I need is an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect the monitor to the PS3. Well, that was a productive first post (sarcasm). I hope to make more productive posts in the future...

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. eebeejay

eebeejay Regular member

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Just get an HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice.com then use the standard cables for audio (you will have to enable multi audio out on the PS3). The other option to do is use an optical cable to your PC if you have the capability. The only minor issue is if your monitor is 16:10 or 16:9 and has the ability for up to 1080p. It will work either way but it will be slightly stretched if it's 16:10 (not a big deal) and if it is only say 1680x1050 then you will have to use 1280x720.