1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 whats the differences??(can anyone help me pleeeease?)

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by claire169, Dec 4, 2007.

1. claire169

claire169 Member

Hello I was just wondering if anybody could tell me if there is any differences in playstation 3's(apart from the different amounts
    of GB) Like with the x-box360 there are 3 different versions all with obvious differences so I was just wondering if anybody could explain if the PS3 had any (apart from GB amounts)

Thanks

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

The 60 gig unit IMO is the best. It has the emotion engine which has a greater backwards compatability. It also has four USB slots, and a multiple memory media reader. These are a little harder to find now.

The 80 gig unit has all of the features of the 60 gig unit with the exception of the emotion engine. It has less backwards compatabilty then the 60 because it is emulated instead of hardware driven.

The 20 gig unit is the same as the 60 with the lack of the memory card readers and wifi. The backwards compatability is the same as the 60 gig unit. These are very rare seeing that they were the first to be discontinued.

The 40 gig unit has no backwards compatibility. It only has two USB slots and no memory media readers. It does have wifi. This is the cheapest unit, a base unit as some call it.

3. claire169

claire169 Member

so really the only difference is the ability to play playstation 2 games then... do the different models affect graphics in any way or quality of game play? i dont mean to be a pain but ive just ordered a 40GB PS3 with 2 games for £399 and i just want to know what athe big differences are im not really bothered about backwards compatiblity because i have a PS2 and im only goin to be playing PS3 games on it...also could you please tell me what an emotion engine is and media readers and are these necessary components of a PS3

thanks

4. okthen12

okthen12 Guest

I thought it could play ps1 games... correct me if im wrong :p

5. MrMexican

MrMexican Guest

Yes the 40gb can play ps1 games its the ps2 games that don't work for it.

6. dazila

dazila Regular member

What im wondering the 40gb and the 80gb have the same hardware minus the 40gb less and the Memory card reader and 2 usb ports.
    But Internally its all the same, dosen't it mean that if someone tried to get the emulator that's running on the 80gb one for Ps2 games and put it onto the 40gb one it would play the games just as well, I think it would be possible, does anyone know it anyone is attempting to do something like it or similar or anything at all about it?

7. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

well, here in europe, we never had the emotion chip, its all emulator for us. What i can say is that ive played ps2 games on my ps3 60G and they look better than on the ps2.

8. cazer

cazer Regular member

the 40gb and the 80gb do not have the same insides.

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

They do.
    The only diff is the Cell is made with a new (nM) so how is the inside differnt it the exact same GPU,CPU everything else is the same beside the Smaller Hardrive, No memory card reader and the -2 USB's.
    SO why can't we get the Emulator from the PAL systems as they never had the Emotion Engine and I live in a PAL region AUS.
    It's just Dumb that no one has tried getting the emulator of the Older PAL console.