1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 widescreen problem with hdtv

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ccbl, Nov 13, 2007.

1. ccbl

ccbl Member

My 57" crt toshiba widescreen cuts off approx 2"s on each side of the screen when I use my ps3. My hdtv does not have hdmi and only has a DVI input, but I am using DVI-HDMI cable to connect my ps3 to the tv. I know widescreen tvs have an option to change the widescreen ratios or w.e (my tv calls it the "picture size: natural 1,2,3, fullscreen") but when its in the DVI input, I cannot change the picture size (locked or something). So my question is, is this because its connected to the DVI, or is it because its a CRT hdtv, or something is up with my ps3 video settings (currently set on hdmi 1080i or 720p)

here is a link to my tv model with specs

In summary my tv is cutting off part of the picture when using my ps3.
    - i have a crt hdtv
    - tv only has dvi input
    - using hdmi to dvi input
    - setting on 1080i or 720p no real diff with picture being cut off

help??
    would it make a different if i use hd components that would allow me to change picture size --> what would be the difference in quality of picture (IMO i thought dvi is better than components)

lots of questions i know.. but they are all related to one problem

2. LeeWard

LeeWard Member

think i am having the same problem mate but i am using normal scart lead, it only effects one of my games though not all of them, its only the foreground thats to large the background seems fine!
    havent found any help i also posted before askin for help

3. ccbl

ccbl Member

i was thinking the people who check out the tv section more would know better but this is a tv issue related to the ps3 so thats why i posted here.

i hope people who know more about tvs will post (i know i only posted this morning so im in no rush)

4. devinnn

devinnn Member

I have a sony 34" widescreen HD CRT connected with HDMI cables from my PS3 and I get the exact same problem. Whats odd is that it only happened after the 2.0 firmware update. All games and video's have at least 5% of the picture cut out around the borders as if the picture is being zoomed in. I called sony and they said it was a defect and to return my PS3 for a new one, so I did so waited 2-3 weeks for my new PS3. Out of the box the widescreen display was fine however once I upgraded to 2.0 the same display problem occurred. So now I am trying to find someone with another model of PS3 (I have the original 60gig model) to see if they also have the same display problem. I am pretty pissed at sony for messing this up. I mean a system update shouldn't f-up your units ability to display something properly in 16:9, especially a $600 piece of hardware.

5. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

I would definitely at least try component cables to see if it makes a difference so that we can narrow down the source of the issue.

6. airball

airball Regular member

I think you guys are experiencing what is called overscan. All CRT rear projection TVs "over project" the viewable area by about 5-7%. 3% is optimal and can be achieved by tinkering in the service menus on some models. Even LCD and Plasma have some overscan. This is because not all networks are formated exactly the same. What you are talking about is pretty extreme so I would suggest that there may be an issue in addition to the overscan but that is hard to diagnose without seeing it myself.

7. ccbl

ccbl Member

yea thats what i figured it was after doing some reading on other forums.. but still no solution. i wish in the display settings, you could like zoom in and out or something to fix it like you can with computer lcds or crt monitors.. i just got a wii and theres overscan with that too, and i am able to change the widescreen settings but it still slightly overscans. maybe my tv is just too old for the ps3.

i also have a 24" lcd monitor i connected my ps3 to and theres no overscan. so i know its not because of the ps3 update like one of you mentioned

8. airball

airball Regular member

Google home theater spot. HT spot might have some tips for you on how to correct, or at lease "make less wrong" the overscan. I used to own a 65in. Mitsubishi that I tweaked based on the recommendations on that site. You may have to pay to get into the tweaks section. Just a warning, anything you do to change the guts of the TV are irreversible. Make sure to write down any changes before you save. The settings that you want to change are V-WID and H-WID. Wow, I haven't had the overscan conversation in quite a few years. I am a home theater installer and I used to explain this all the time. Thanks for this trip down amnesia lane.

Actually just a bit of advise to people in the market for a flat panel display, ALL TV's in the store are set up wrong, so do not make your purchase based on brightness or color. Instead look at how much picture is lost due to overscan. On flat panel TV's overscan is not much of a problem but about 3% is still lost. Overscan is easy to see from one model to the next, especially if all the TV's are on the same channel which is often the case. Also look at the contrast ratio, white and black level is very important. That 'el do.

9. devinnn

devinnn Member

I have both component and hdmi cables, i get the same overscanning issue with both.

I called sony today and they downright told me that there is a compatibility issue with crt tvs now. They managed to fix the LCD problems prior to the 2.0 update but in the process messed up the display configuration for CRT tvs...

10. devinnn

devinnn Member

Okay you have a LCD monitor.... the update fixed the problems people were having with LCD. Now CRT is messed up with the latest update....

11. Katilyst

Katilyst Member

So glad I found this forum-- its the first one ive found that mentioned the overscan due to the system update. Ive a samsung dlp that was perfect for months till that update and now, only with video games, do i seem to get that over scan- i lose 2 inches on the right side, and on the left is a 2 inch black bar.

Is the black bar, (it just looks like my tv is not on) normal with an over scan issue, or is this a sign its something else?

12. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

Yes thats overscan or underscan rather. How big is the TV? 2 inches around is a lot to loose unless its close to the 50" range.