1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem PS3 Won't Recognize USB Hard Drive or USB Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'PS3' started by cdubs, Jul 25, 2015.

1. cdubs

cdubs Member

Hello All, I'm trying to play movies on my PS3 through either a USB Thumb Drive or USB-powered external hard drive and am having no luck with the PS3 recognizing either.

I have done some research on the net and can't get anything to work. First I tried a Sandisk USB drive. When I tried to move the file over from my computer to the thumb drive it said it was too large. I read on the net that I needed to re-format the thumb drive to NTFS to move a large file, mine is 4gb so I did that and copied the movie to the thumb drive, put it in the PS3 didn't show up. Read on the net that Sandisk has their own formatting or something that could cause the PS3 not to recognize it. So I tried a store-brand 8gb USB, same deal didn't recognize it. Some people on the internet say PS3 will only recognize FAT32 formatted devices so that led to my next try.

I had an empty Seagate external hard drive laying around so I thought I would try it. When I plugged it into my computer it said it needed to be formatted. My only two options were NTFS or exFAT. I chose exFAT and set the allocation unit size to default allocation size, formatted it, copied the movie over, plugged it into the PS3 same deal, didn't recognize it.

It should be mentioned that on both thumb drives and the external HDD I created a folder in the root named video because I saw on a youtube video that is necessary.

I'm lost at this point and frustrated. Can anyone provide some insight or suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks!

2. cdubs

cdubs Member

I just tried the thumb drive in an older LG blu ray player I have in the bedroom and it recognized the USB and played the movie perfectly. Sometimes I really hate my Playstation! Arrgh!

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

PS3 will only show drives that are formatted with whatever compatible format it uses,i assume that's fat32.Websearch can find you a formatting tool for it or use minitool partition manager (free version).This means all single file sizes need to be under 4gb in size,only way round file size restriction is to stream from pc or create movies that are split into two parts

4. cdubs

cdubs Member

I don't have any experience with partitoning, or really even know what it is, so I will probably to find a formatting tool on the web. Any suggested ways to split it into two files? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. cdubs

cdubs Member

6. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

I'm not sure if that download from cnet.com will help, but if you have any friends near by or a library you can get it done with no problem. As said by scorpNZ, it has to be in Fat 32 and files must be under 4GB in size. As far as the program from cnet, give it a try at worst it wont work. You must have a newer computer, I never heard of exFAT

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

exFAT not supported by ps3

better to get a smaller version of the video,however splitting can be done,that would require a new topic or a look over at videohelp.com

8. cdubs

cdubs Member

Ok, so I used the formatting tool off of cnet and re-formatted my HDD to FAT32. Just for the heck of it I tried to copy my movie over to the HDD and got an error of "the file is too large for the destination file system" I don't know if this is because it's right at 4gb or if I have something else going on. It's the only file I have so far. I'm working on getting a file under 4gb to try to see if that might work.

Any ideas?

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

File has to be under 4gb
    other option use a program like vidcoder & manually set file size t 3850mb & recode the movie you have to the smaller size,quality will be affected since your starting with a small size to begin with,ideally you want around a 8-12gb file to recode downwards

10. cdubs

cdubs Member

I split the original 4gb file and loaded it on the external HDD and now the turd aka PS3 recognizes the HDD, but when I try to play the file it says: "the data type is not supported (800288BC)"

So I looked that up and this is what I found: PS3 can play MP4 video files with extension of .mp4 with video codec of MPEG-4 AVC H.264 /Xvid/DivX and audio codec of AAC. There are still some other MP4 video files are unsupported like MPEG-4 ASP.

It looks like another hoop to jump through to get the file to play on the turd. Anyone know of a free converter download that will work for this? All that I found was one that cost $37.00

Thanks!

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

mentioned program in post above yours or you can use handbrake,both have presets for ps3 i think,if not you can create your own or download one,it's not hard it just requires minor tweaking of the settings

12. cdubs

cdubs Member

Before you replied I found where someone said they were using xvid4psp so I decided to give it a try and it was unbearably slow. I just downloaded vidcoder and it seems to be a lot faster, but no preset for PS3 :-( I am trying the "universal" setting to see if that might work.

You mentioned making a handbrake, I'll have to do some research on that because I have no clue.

13. cdubs

cdubs Member

Tried vidcoder and it was much faster than xvid4psp. I used the "universal" setting, didn't touch any settings in it and it worked! :D

I split the file before using firecoresoft, it was a trial version so it was watermarked. Next up is trying to use vidcoder to shrink the file, which I think I figured out but haven't tried. I think I click on the quality tab once I choose universal, click target size and input 3850mb like you suggested before. If that works I think that will take care of all of the problems I've had so far being able to play my files on the PS3.

Thanks for helping this noob get my problems figured out :)

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

handbrake is a transcoding software its the big brother to vidcoder (same makers),i mentioned vidcoder as that has option to set file output size

By rights you should be able to do whats required without spending a dime

vidcoder tutorial:
    when at the 2nd page & picture is on video tab,that's where you can change the converter to use x264 for your mp4 (you can get a better quality picture if you use 2 pass,takes longer & imo is worth it,you'll have to decide for your self ),then on the audio tab set audio encoder to what ever the ps3 supports,if you'd like to see if there's any difference to the compatible mode.
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/VidCoder_Tutorial_page2.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015