1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 won't spin disks, laser is not lit up even AFTER replacement

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by afex, Feb 15, 2010.

1. afex

afex Member

Greetings all -

My buddy gave me a PS3 to attempt to fix a while back, here's the story:

- Don't know which version it is, but it has the single laser diode
    - Discs are sucked in/ejected without any problems
    - Laser will focus (move up and down in it's little carriage)
    - Laser will slide to the center of the hub IF i manually move it out before turning it on.
    - Laser does not emit any sort of light when i turn on the ps3
    - Disc does not spin at all when sucked in
    - The UI doesn't show any type of "reading" icon, which suggests to me that it is obviously not seeing a disc at all.

After reading these forums for a bit, it looked like i just needed a new laser assembly. So i went ahead and ordered a brand new KEM-400AAA replacement. After receiving it, I swapped out the tray and everything, and i still have exactly the same symptoms. Couple of questions:

1) When i turn the ps3 on (with the cover off the drive), i should see laser light right away, right?
    2) What are the chances that i had a bad laser assembly, AND this new one was bad as well?
    3) Is there anything else it could be? I have also read quite a bit about the controller IC, and would have no problems replacing that, however i'd rather not unless i KNOW that's the problem.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. aoenate

aoenate Member

I've got the exact same problem. I tried replacing the laser assembly but that did not solve the issue. Disc never spins up.

I took apart my roommates working PS3 and tried that drive in the broken unit. The results were identical.

Any help would be appreciated

PS. Have you tried re-setting and reformatting the unit?

N8

4. afex

afex Member

i haven't tried anything with the system itself - i just ordered a new controller chip (BD7956FS), and i'll post back with results!

5. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

There is a chance that it is a low quality refurbished laser, where did you get it from?

The prices fluctuate due to limited supplies ive seen them go from 49.99 to 79.99 fast.

Also check that all the connections/ribbon cables are put it securely, i had one once that the connections where loose and the ribbon cables where actually blocking the laser from moving on the rail make sure its not in the way, also obiously that the power cable is connected so the blueray drive gets power also maybe it can be a bad power supply if you get no power/ flashing laser light or spin.

If you have the drive dissasembled you should see the disc spin a bit and the laser flash and move down the rail attempting to read the disc.

6. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

hmmm wait a sec i re read you post you say you get no reading bubble when the PS3 is attempting to read a disc do you get the blue light? if not then the sensor that tells the PS3 to suck in the disc/ that theres a disc in there may be broken.

7. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Did you make sure all the connections to the ribbon cables were inserted correctly? Inspect the leads at the end of the ribbon to check for damage.

8. aoenate

aoenate Member

Afex

When you insert a disk does the blue disk inserted light come on?

If not something didn't get put back together properly. You should have a blue + green light when a disc is inserted.

If the green + blue light is on, try powering up the PS3 without the white round magnetic piece on the drive and see if the laser moves up and down.

FYI i finally got mine working this weekend, took a few hours because i don't really know whats going on. The disk will not spin if the gears are mis-alligned or something isn't put back together properly. Try to find a few youtube videos regarding where all the gears and pieces are supposed to fit together.

Hope you can get it up and running
    N8

9. afex

afex Member

nope, no blue or green lights : (

when i turn it on, the diode does move up and down, but no light ever comes out.

everything seems to be fine assembly wise, i mean when i put the top back on (with the magnetic disc), the discs come in and go out fine...

I have sort of a stupid question though...how do you see the laser light when you are inserting a disc if the unit is all put together? I mean, you can't really insert a disc if the top isn't on, but if the top is on, everything is pretty covered up...am i missing something? : )

10. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

Don't put the metalic blueray drive case back on while testing it.

the black top can be removed if the sensor is disconnected if it is not and you try to remove the black lid/top then the disc will automatically eject since it trips the sensor.
    So this means you can actually play a disc without the black top on just the white magnetic ring holding the disc in place. So you can check if the replacement laser works or not without the black lid in the way.

If you can't figure out how to take the black top off while playing a disc just stare through the opening where the white magnetic disc goes when you insert a disc you should hear the laser moving trying to read it as well as blue or red flashes of light that are easily noticeable through the hole (red if cd or dvd blue if blueray game disc or blueray movie.)

since you say the mechanism slides up and down but doesn't spin it may be a bad laser still, if the gears had been moved or assembled wrong you would't be able to insert or eject any disc, so they seem fine as long as you don't hear any weird noises inside while insering or ejecting.

11. afex

afex Member

Thanks shadow for the tips - here's the current status...

If i insert any type of media (blu/dvd/CD-r), it will always light up with a red laser and focus up and down a couple of times. However, it never spins the disc. The tv DOES show a spinning disc logo, i just never noticed it before! (this is a friend's, i dont actually own a PS3)

Perhaps my motor driver IC is dead? I have a new one already here and can easily solder it, just wondering if that sounds like the culprit or not...

12. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

IT will flash red and then blue since you have the older single laser one so it checks red first then blue so if it was a cd it would flash red only and once verified will play if blueray it will flash red to "test read" then blue since the PS3 has no way other than this to check what you put inside it. So you say you never seen a blue flash before it points to a bad laser usually after the flash and the movement up and down of the laser THE DISC WILL SPIN this is important since you cant have a spin/reading without the laser shining/reading so if you say you don't see this you might not get any disc spinning if the laser is still faulty/bad quality.

In my experience ive replaced 11 lasers so far on PS3 units that don't read ( haven't opened a newer slim ps3 yet) and ususally i buy a replacemnet that is the exact same "one eye/laser diode" or "2 eyes" and that includes THE CARRIAGE MECHANISM TOO this is very important so repair is as easy as connecting the cables to the new one and screwing down 4 screws that keep the carriage in place i don't even mess with the IC driver chipset ect or any other drive parts motors since the new replacement carriage and laser are already assembled and will replace the old ones so if the motors where bad it all gets replaced in one repair in less than 15 mins.

You say you see the little bubble on the top right corner thats a good sign this means the PS3 knows a disc is inside of it and it is attempting to read it, i had a console like this before i would put in a cd and it would play just fine but would give me the bubble on a blue ray game (ratchet and clank) id eject it and re insert it maybe on the 5th or 6th time it would work but then last only some minutes and give an error id restart the console and same bubble this means the laser was on its last leg was close to dying so i replaced it and it worked fine sold the system a year ago no problems.

Dont mess with anything else until you try a new laser+ carriage you could end up damaging the system worse beyond repair since the IC controller chip is only usuable with that console i think they are married ( cant be switched around) not sure but better not to mess with that.

13. SHADOWZ9

SHADOWZ9 Member

Another thing occured to me is that PS3 your friend has used? Or refurbished? If the drive it has inside didn't belong to it originally that may be why it wont and probably will never read any discs? SInce you can't go switching controller board around maybe it was already switched before? That would suck since i guess youd have to track down the original? Just a thought ask him what he did to it before.

14. Cole54

Cole54 Member

I am having the same problem with 2 consoles... both are the 410 ACA laser type assembly's and I have put a new laser mech in them and cannot get them working.

No icon comes up. Laser will move itself to the center however it never lights up to read.

Been reading all around and cannot figure this out. Any ideas what I should try next, both of these consoles are having the same issue.

15. frogsinmyhair

frogsinmyhair Member

Problem fixed!

I had the same problem--japanese version of the 40gb (using the 2 lens laser)

I would put a disk in, but the problem was that the system wasn't understanding a disk had loaded.

This only occurred after replacing the laser.

To fix it, there are 2 main parts to the black/white loading mechanism (the lid and the rest of it). Notice on the lid how you can't force open 2 white arms to allow the magnetic spindle to drop. There is a switch that unlocks the arms and allows them to move. Before attaching the lid to the main unit, open that catch (not the white arms for the spindle). You have to use a thumbnail to do it, but it should be easy and not involve any forcing. Click the lid in place, let go of the catch (it should slide back to almost where it was before), and then worry about the screws. Test it before putting the metal lid back on.

Disk should now go in, the 2 plastic arms should open, and the spindle should drop in. If the spindle still doesn't drop in, try putting on the lid again. It is definitely related to the lock on the top lid.

None of the tutorials on Youtube pointed this out, so it may be a model specific thing, or just part of the loading mechanism we all accidentily rattled.

-Erik