1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ps3's break easy

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by reloadSE, Jun 16, 2007.

1. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

PS3's dont surrive power surges lol (only if you have a surge protector)

2. nax0101

nax0101 Regular member

mine does, and i have no power breakers,

3. jesse286

jesse286 Regular member

I have never heard this before.

4. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

u must of had one hell of a surge its possible ive had a power supply fry on a computer that was hooked up through a surge protector

5. TheNick

TheNick Guest

my ps3 killed the fuse twice when i first hooked it up & had it running with too much other shit...no harm done, no problems at all, even after a solid month of folding. what'd you do wrong?

6. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

I did have a hell of a surge it blew up to of my surge guards and the plugs they were in LOL

7. TheNick

TheNick Guest

that fusking sucks! your ps3 dead? howd the tv and the rest of it fair? shit, i might need a new surge protector.

8. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

My ps3 is..... DEAD :( (crying) Insurance and a warranty on it tho.... but i have to update it all over again..... tv's fine dvd recorder is dead..... EDIT: o yea my psp charger is gone too...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  9. TheNick

TheNick Guest

shit man, im sorry to hear alla that, musta been a helluva storm...on another note, im thinking of extending the warranty on my system now.

10. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

lol it was no storm a drunk driver hit a power pole and the cables snapped and hit each other and the transformers and outside the houses down the street all blew up LOL

11. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Do you even know much more damage you could have sustained in your house in a situation like that? But all you say is "PS3's dont surrive power surges lol (only if you have a surge protector)"

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Man that must have been quite a sight, I mean how many transformers blew? That must've lit up the entire neighnorhood :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  13. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Well this was at 3.00am (nz time) i was asleep at the time but 3 plus a main 1 thats really big.... well thats from where i can see anyway i now have 2 surge protectors for my ARRIVNIG ps3 lol

14. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Guess the surge protector wasnt doing it job...... Alot of people think it will protect you against lightning.. It doesnt... Lightning follows the shortest path.. Surge protectors dont help electricity can jump!Surge protectors are mainly for peace of mind... I have worked in residental cable,sat, and computer networking for the last 6 years. I have troubleshot and repaired many problems occurring from electricity, whether it be from lightning or surges.A surge proectors job is suppose to protect your equipment from surges of electricity in your home due to an abdnormal fluctuation of electricity. Most surges are caused from tree limbs, high winds and things of such nature. A surge protector is suppose to basically, in short, protect your equipment from those surges by acting like a breaker and tripping when there is an overload. If the protector is not tripping, I would get my money back for that protector. I myself have never had a problem with surges.. I do what my grandparents did when I was a kid, unplug shit when a bad storm is passing through....... I do have a surge protector on my pc and ps3 and have not had problems. I went through Katrina and Rita with a cheap ass surge protector and had no problems... I went to homes where people bought expensive protectors or those "crappy peace of mind protector" that electric company sells you to place out side your home, and have seen more damaged equipment than those without them.
    And lastly.. Dont buy that crap the electric company sells to place on your cable and grounding equipment, it does NOT work. It is basically an insurance policy.. Ok and as far as lightning... THERE isnt much you can do to avoid it...lol... Basically a good solid ground outside, to the source of ground that the electric company has is sufficiant. Think of it like this... If your cable or satellite is NOT ground to power, IF lightning hits your home, ir will travel to you tv and blow out pretty much everything attached... PS3 included! If you are gounded, it is not definite that lightning wont cause damage, but there is a 50/50 chance youll be safe...kinda like a seatbelt... So if you want to protect your gaming and video equipment, get someone who knows about grounding to test your homes ground and make sure telephone and cable are grounded to power.....

15. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Holy crap that was a long post Jlhfit i almost didn't want to read it lol I hope that the drivers dead if he isn't he/she will hope that there dead with all the insurance claims and fines lol

16. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

Yeah I was worked up.. Im watching the Michael Moore movie Sicko....lol..

17. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

You no what... i found out how much power went through my house.... it seems a 11000kw cable crossed a 200kw cable so thats a bit of power don't you think lol! One of my fuses was black and melted as well so thats y my ps3 is dead

18. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Regular member

yeah...thatll do it...... Ps3 got the electric chair....

19. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Hey should sony put built in surge protectors as the ps3's do cost a bit.... as the xbox 360 has that big gray brick that saves it lol....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  20. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

OK where do I start on this one... First of all a surge protector is nothing but a X/Y configuration of MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor's) or Gas discharge tube's. They do not “trip like a breaker” they short like a penny in your fuse socket (remember those, they looked like light bulb sockets on an old a$$ fuse panel). When a voltage across them reaches the break down or forward bias point, the protection device will short out like sticking a jumper in your outlet. This short will continue until one of 2 things happens; 1) the surge exceeds the power rating of the protection device (rated in Joules) and opens it (destructively), no longer protecting your device, because its wired in parallel, the surge proceeds to your protected device to blow it up (mostly happens with lightning strikes). 2) The surge dissipates below the threshold of the MOV or gas arc protection device and it opens and normal operation is allowed to continue (mostly happens when you turn off a poorly designed ballast running device such as a florescent light). If you paid more than $20 for your “protection device” there may also be a circuit that will open the connection to your device in hopes to prevent enough energy from being transfered to it before any serious damage can occur (this usually will destroy the power strip and is seldom successful in high energy sustained hits). Your power strip may have a circuit breaker or other type of resettable/ non resettable device to protect your stuff (this will only possibly protect line side hits and if your protected device does not have MOVs to increase current draw enough to open the breaker it more than likely will not save your device in time). Bottom line a surge protector is for every day protection like Jlhfit said. If you want to protect your device from lightning and transformer shorts and brownouts get a active UPS and use a wireless router for network connections. Don't place the video or game cables close to AC mains cables. Don't listen to anyone saying that a power strip will save a device from a real lightning hit because the neutral and ground connections never open (even when a protection breaker opens) and lightning can pop that little jumper in the breaker panel between neutral and earth and get in that way and no MOV that fits in a power strip will ever be able to save your cool stuff. Shutting down your homes main breaker or heck even removing it from the panel will still not save you if a medium voltage transformer that is powering your neighborhood is allowed to short out by a car crash or a lightning strike. Chances are that if a transformer shorts out com-ed will try to close the high voltage circuit breakers 3 times to blow open the short and restore power to the other neighborhoods, this could cause more damage than the original lightning strike. Moral of the story, you cant stop a direct wrath of god potential without a really good and expensive lightning rod system (thats not a sure fix, how can you stop god LOL!) and nothing can save you from an idiot slamming into a power pole and knocking off a transformer and twisting the lines together in the process, if you can find that guy and prove that his accident caused you loss – sue him LOL!. Sorry for the long post. Nuf said.