1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem PSP 1004 Black Screen Green Light - Not bricked

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Metalcoreprincess, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Metalcoreprincess

Metalcoreprincess Newbie

So here goes, I'm new here (hi!). I've joined as I can see there are some not too old threads where people can get help with a psp and I'm hoping for some advice. I bought a faulty PSP 1004 as it was dirt cheap in a second hand shop. The fault listed was screen issues. It seems to me that it is more complicated than the screen however. The PSP powers on, but will only display the green led for about 20 seconds and will power off again. There is no response from anything else, no screen flicker, no memory card light and no audible noise coming from the console. I Googled for a little while and tried several of the button combinations to access safe mode but that didn't help. Next I thought it may be bricked, so I set up a magic memory card and purchased a pandora battery. I unluckily managed to get a dead one on my first go, so I have just received a replacement, but despite working correctly (ie. the psp now powers on as soon as the pandora battery is inserted), there is no change to the console, it is still only displaying the green led and turning off again.

Can anyone recommend a solution? My best guess is that it's now a hardware fault. If the screen was broken, the psp would still power normally right?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

First of all, if it was bricked on official firmware there is no button combination to enter safe mode, that was a feature added by custom firmware. And bricking it on official firmware was pretty easy, if the previous owner lost the power connection during updating, for example. It pretty much sounds like your PSP is bricked.
    How did you create your magic memory stick? When I tried the last time out of four methods I found on google only one worked, therefore I'd suggest you try another method.
    Also you are correct, if only the screen was broken the PSP would start up normally, and you would hear sounds.

Another question: Is it a PSP 1004 (phat model) or a PSP E 1004 (PSP street)?

3. Metalcoreprincess

Metalcoreprincess Newbie

I used Rain's Ultra Lite MMS maker ver. 5.00 m33-4 on a Sandisk Pro duo 512mb stick. My model is the phat 1004. Definitely willing to try other methods so fire away! Thanks.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Rain's should be fine. Might be that the memory stick you used was too large, if it is it won't get recognized. I personally had best results with 2 GB memory sticks. Also make sure it's an original, not a China fake.
    Here's a good video I found on youtube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPuxr38Ef0

5. Metalcoreprincess

Metalcoreprincess Newbie

As far as I know the MS should be fine as I used it in a previous psp with no issues. It's only 512mb which I believed to be the recommended size. I do have a pro duo adapter which I can slot a micro sd in so I may try that.

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Ok, you seem to know what you're doing. Could be a hardware issue (my bet would be that the flash chip is damaged), the PSPs are 11 years old, so a hardware failure every now and then shouldn't be surprising.

7. zGuz

zGuz Newbie

My PSP is doing almost the same stuff as yours but mine isnt turning it off,green light is staying on,and when i start psp i can hear boot music..got no idea what is problem,i changed display..so is it bricked or ?

8. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No, it's not bricked. If you can hear boot music your screen is broken. If it was bricked you couldn't hear bootsounds, because the PSP doesn't boot.

9. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

backlight driver or fuse (do they have a backlight fuse?.. why even mention that...... it's never the fuse.. it's always the driver chip)..

10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Broken ribbon while switching the screen, faulty 2nd screen...
    It's not neccessarily the driver chip or anything on the mainboard.