1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP becomes hot while charging

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by espanola, Jun 2, 2007.

1. espanola

espanola Member

My PSP does not start. The green power button lights up for 1 second then goes back off whenever I try to switch it on.

While charging, I notice that the back (the half where the memory stick cover is) and the top edge of the PSP becomes very hot.

Has anybody else experienced this? What do you think is the cause of this?

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

In the manual, it says it's normal.

3. espanola

espanola Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have compared charging my PSP to charging my other friends PSPs and mine is "way way HOT" while theirs is just "warm". In fact it becomes so hot that I have to unplug the charger after a few minutes for fear of frying the "insides" of my unit.

Initally I thought that the problem was in the area of the motherboard that takes care of charging the battery and that my battery was just not charging. However, even after using another freshly charged battery from another unit, my unit will still not start and still displays the green light for 1 second before going off.

4. silentdan

silentdan Member

Try taking out the battery and let it stay like that for couple of days,ive heard this coud be attributed to ram corruption.

5. espanola

espanola Member

Thanks for the reply.

I will try leaving the battery out of the unit this week. Is 5 days enough?

I have tried looking for more info on "ram corruption" on the PSP both here and on Google but could find none.

@silentdan
    Could you provide more information on what ram corruption is and what causes it? Is the point of removing the battery to restore the system to default settings, much like removing the backup battery on a computer motherboard? Could I then just open the PSP up and remove the backup battery for a few minutes to speed things up?

6. silentdan

silentdan Member

Thats exactly what ram corruption is and on the psp you the process is different than the pc since psp's don't have backup batteries you only need to remove the main battery for 2-3 days and then put it back in.
    I've seen posts similar to the problem in different forums i visit and have seen other people suggest the same thing like removing the battery out for couple of days.

7. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

try charging your psp with your friend's battery to see if happens the same,you may have a bad battery

8. wreithy

wreithy Member

try plugging in your charger, take out the battery and turn on the psp

9. espanola

espanola Member

Thanks for all your replies.

@silentdan
    Battery is out and will remain out until Friday. I hope this solves the problem.

@smlvfx
    We already tried swapping batteries without success. My battery in his unit works fine - his battery in my unit has the same "green light for 1 second" symptom.

@wreithy
    We also tried this already. Symptoms are similar - orange light (charging light), then green light goes on for 1 second when turned on, then goes back to orange. HOWEVER, there was 1 time (out of dozens of attempts) that the unit booted, showed the Sony PSP logo then went to the screen where you enter the correct time (apparently, all my settings were erased). Before I could enter the time, the unit switched off and refused to boot again ever since.