1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psp Beginner Help

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Cacaman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

Hi,i currently dont own a psp nor do i know very much about them. However, i know you can download roms for it, movies, and psp games. Just yesterday my dad was going to buy me one, but i stopped him because i had previously heard you cant hack the new ones. So i guess my first question is:
    What model of psp must i own to get the best hacks for it?
    Thanks in advance!

2. shodowstk

shodowstk Member

see here it will tell you everthing
    HERE

3. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

thanks but, i dont think this article applies to me since its from 2005. If you have anything else, let me know.

4. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

you just want one that has a firmware version of 3.03 or lower..that way you can downgrade-although its tough to tell these days-you used to be able to count on looking at the code on the UPC label to see what firmware version is inside the box-might want to try eb games/gamestop for a used one?

5. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

thanks, that helps

6. scrum

scrum Member

I got a used one on e-bay that was a version 1.5. That is the easiest route to go since that is the version you will have to downgrade to if you get a version between 1.5 and 3.03. Then, you can upgrade to one of the more current versions (I think 3.40 OE-A is most current).
    Obviously, if you get a version 1.5, there is no downgrading necessary. The upgrade from 1.5 is pretty easy with almost no chance of bricking your psp unless you unhook the cord while you're flashing your psp. So far I have had no problems at all with the new custom firmware and transferring the iso's and cso's is very easy with the 3.40 version.
    Tell your dad to grab is MasterCard and jump on ebay. A version 1.5 is between $140 and $160 plus shipping. Don't forget to grab a 2GB or 4GB memory stick while you're at it. That's where your games will go. Watch out of the 4GB on ebay though. There's a lot of fake ones on there. It's probably best to get that somewhere else.

7. scrum

scrum Member

I got a used one on e-bay that was a version 1.5. That is the easiest route to go since that is the version you will have to downgrade to if you get a version between 1.5 and 3.03. Then, you can upgrade to one of the more current versions (I think 3.40 OE-A is most current).
    Obviously, if you get a version 1.5, there is no downgrading necessary. The upgrade from 1.5 is pretty easy with almost no chance of bricking your psp unless you unhook the cord while you're flashing your psp. So far I have had no problems at all with the new custom firmware and transferring the iso's and cso's is very easy with the 3.40 version.
    Tell your dad to grab is MasterCard and jump on ebay. A version 1.5 is between $140 and $160 plus shipping. Don't forget to grab a 2GB or 4GB memory stick while you're at it. That's where your games will go. Watch out of the 4GB on ebay though. There's a lot of fake ones on there. It's probably best to get that somewhere else.

8. scrum

scrum Member

9. scrum

scrum Member

Sorry bout the triple postage. If a mod can delete a couple, please do so.

10. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

Thanks scrum, so if you get an older one, and upgrade to the latest software, you can still hack it as if it were an old one? Or do you want to upgrade only until you can hack it (im guessing 3.03)?

11. snypeshot

snypeshot Member

well basically what happens with the Open Edition FirmWare is it lets PSP Games run from a memory stick (As long as you have a UMD in the UMD Tray). Its like Version 1.5 but it has the 3.40 features, like internet addons, etc.

Be careful on ebay you dont wanna end up with 150$+ lost to a bricked psp ;)

There's other places you could look:
    Google: Kijiji
    Google: Craig's List

Those are 2 good places for classified ads thats where i buy all my UMDS (i have 3.11) and you can actually test the PSP before you hand over the $$

12. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

And that way you can play roms and movies right?
    Thanks for the help btw.

13. scrum

scrum Member

Right. If for some reason you don't like version 3.40 OE-A(I don't know why you wouldn't), you can always downgrade to other custom firmwares all the way back down to 1.5 if you wanted to. If more custom firmwares come out, you can easily upgrade to them. Just make sure you don't upgrade to any of the new Sony firmwares.

14. Cacaman

Cacaman Member

Ok, quick recap. So the point is to buy one thats firmware is origionally from 1.5-3.03 in order to obtain the hacking benefits. Once you have one of those, you can just upgrade/downgrade to any firmware you want without losing those benefits. Correct?

15. haasmon92

haasmon92 Regular member

whem u get ur psp, make sure it has a firmware lower than 3.10. 3.03 and below can be downgraded. the only thiung with the 3.03 downgrader is that u need GTA LCS to downgrade a 3.03 so i reccomend a psp with firmware 2.80 or below. 2.81 and 2.82 cant be downgraded although 3.03 CAN. If u want to downgrade upgrade to 2.80 and then use the 2.80 downgrader. i think its the noob friendliest downgrader. :-]