1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Brick

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by amg61, Mar 3, 2007.

1. amg61

amg61 Member

Will try to make this as short as possible. My son had his PSP swapped with a broken unit while we were away on vacation. His original unit was from the USA, but was replaced without our knowing it, with a broken UK unit with the code PSP-1003. Sony USA won't touch it at ALL. And UK Sony needs a UK address to ship it back to.

so, here goes. Maybe with some help, i can diagnose the problem and repair it. The unit is dead. It won't power up and it won't charge at all. If I plug in the charger, no lights go on at all. If i shake the unit gently, I do hear something small shaking around inside close to the the up arrow button and "R" button.

Thanks.

2. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

If Sony sent you a unit they wont accept back you need to take legal action, or threaten them with it, they'll soon fix your PSP.

If you decide to go down the DIY road there are plenty of people on here who buy broken PSP's to fix, and will help when they see this thread. I have limited hardware knowledge but would suggest trying a new battery and/or charger.

I would personally however, take up a more threatening stance with Sony. (Im that sort of guy lol)

3. amg61

amg61 Member

btw, i have NO idea if this is a hardware or software problem and don't know how to differentiate the two on this unit because it was DEAD from the moment i figured out it wasn't my son's unit.

4. amg61

amg61 Member

here's the thing. this is NOT my original unit. some clever criminal took my USA PSP and replaced it with a BROKEN European model PSP. Because it is a european model, Sony USA does NOT have to do anything. I'm STUCK with it.

5. ac1D

ac1D Guest

do the same thing ? hehe

6. amg61

amg61 Member

gee, thanks. not my style. anyway, the power switch seems to respond normally, but like i said, when it is turned on nothing happens and no lights go on, and when the charger is plugged in, no lights go on either. maybe this isn't a true BRICK, but a hardware malfunction, but i don't know how to figure it out.

7. ac1D

ac1D Guest

is there a memory stick in it ?

8. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Riiiight sorry i misread.

First of all, insurance? Im not familiar with how holiday insurance works but surley there must be something along the lines of theft? The box your original unit came in wont correspond to the coding on the unit so that might be sufficient evidence, but im not honestly 100%.

First of all if its software, your pretty buggered. Without the ability to turn it on you cannot re-flash the files, and therefore it is now irreversably bricked.

If it is hardware (which is more likley), there are people who can repair them for cost, and as i said, people on this forum who will do it for you if you ask nicley. Unless you are experienced with electronics i highly suggest letting someone else look at it, as you may just make it worse.

Just a quick stab in the dark, attempt to turn it on holding the "R" button. If it comes up a blue screen then thank god, because it is 100% fixable. If not, and you don't wish to repair it, sell it either in these forums or on Ebay. You get a surprisingly good return on bricked PSP's, enough to go towards a new one anyway.

Hope this helps
    Arc

9. amg61

amg61 Member

Holding the R button down and power button at the same time did nothing, no light, nada, zilch. i assume if the only thing wrong is if the battery is bad, but the charger is fine, then trying to turn it on with the charger connected should be OK, yes. well, that did nothing, so i can assume it has nothing to do with the battery. next question, for those PSP's that become Bricks because of poor firmware changes, does the power light at least light up for a second or two? I'm trying to differentiate between a software/firmware problem and a hardware problem. I would hate to take this thing apart, or have someone do it, only to find out it was a software malfunction. Any help would be appreciated.

I have read some posts regarding taking the unit apart. Though I am handy, even if i did open it up, how would i know what's broken???

thanks

10. amg61

amg61 Member

no memory stick.

11. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

dont hold the power button up, just flick it on, and then hold down r....holding them both together will automatically turn your psp off again....

see if this helps...

12. amg61

amg61 Member

No good. Did not make a difference.

OK, I tried a good battery from one of my son's friend's PSP. NOTHING. No light at all. Did not power up. I asked my son about the power switch and he said it does NOT feel loose. So, I guess it could still be the power switch or anything else inside this machine, maybe the motherboard, the power circuit, who knows???

What next????

Thanks.

13. amg61

amg61 Member

OK, i got my #000 screwdriver and opened the PSP back cover. There appear to be NO loose parts. The power circuit board appears OK, and the power switch appears OK.

I flipped over the LCD, but did not take all the bracket screws off to look at the motherboard, basically because i don't know what i would be looking for. Not sure where to go from here. I guess i could order an inexpensive power circuit board and try to replace that as nothing lights up with battery or AC power, so maybe that power circuit board is fried in some way.

A quick question, the underneath side of the power circuit board touches a cable of some sort (on mine it just rests on it). I'm NOt talking about the cable on the TOP surface of the board that is clasped in place. Is that underneath cable normally "hooked" or "clasped" into the bottom of the power circuit board, or does the board just "rest" on that cable when all is in place.

Any other ideas would be very much welcomed. BTW, in the battery compartment there is NO warranty sticker. So it was either removed already and this unit was messed with, or the european models don't have a little warrany stickers to begin with.

Thanks.

14. amg61

amg61 Member

bump.........

15. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Mate not too many know about this sort of thing, we just send em to sony and they replace them for £50

Your best bet is to PM Hexitnow, he fixes broken PSP's, if anyone has a clue its him

16. amg61

amg61 Member

thanks,

i tried to PM Hexitnow, but either it did not go through or he hasn't responded yet.

17. The_Arc

The_Arc Regular member

Hes not been on today, hes usually active now for a few hours, he should get back to you though, hes a forum legend :)