1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Crashes When Upgrading Firmware?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by DrZack, Jul 30, 2007.

1. DrZack

DrZack Member

Hello there. I have a strange problem with my Sony PSP. When I try to update from 1.50 to the new 3.52 M33 custom firmware. I followed the instructions to the teeth, and I even reformatted my stick to FAT once more. So after I do everything else, I go to use "3.52 M33UPDATE", but when it goes to the white SONY PSP screen when it's booting any sort of game/program, it freezes there for a few seconds, then switches off.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Like I said, I followed all of the instructions, so I don't really know where I went wrong. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I know the upgrade can be done straight from 1.5, but try upgrading to 3.40 OE-A (which you could stick to atm, as it's very stable and hardly any games require higher than that) then going up to 3.52 M33 from there

3. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

ill bet u never ran the 1.50 kxploit patcher.

4. DrZack

DrZack Member

I'll bet you I did. ;)

I was on 3.40oe-a before I downgraded. I wanted to play Parappa and Riviera, among other games, which I couldn't do on 3.40.

Like I said, I followed the instructions very closely. This is so weird. :S

5. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

hmmmm...
    go back to custom firmware i guess.
    how much do u wanna bet :p

6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Hey mrmcman, now it seems you're the one following me around, lol

7. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

lol sure seems like it. we just specialize in the same areas lmao

8. DrZack

DrZack Member

So am I pretty much SOL when it comes to uploading? Why is this happening to me when it works for everyone else? I don't see why this can't be figured out. I'm following everything to a T. Is it the memory stick I have? Is there a way I can just change the upload with a different memory stick and go from there? I have a 4GB Sony MPD right now, but if I use a 256mb Sandisk card, would that fix the problem?

Thanks for the help thus far. :)

9. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Just double check everything, eg: you're using the official 3.52 update and not 3.51 which is what i nearly did :S

I really don't see how you can be getting this problem, it stays stuck at the boot sceen, not going to black before switching off?

10. DrZack

DrZack Member

Oh sorry, I must've confused you. You see, when I go to use that M33UPDATE program, it does that Sony PSP loading screen with the balloons (or whatever they are). It waits on that screen for a few seconds, before going to black and switching off. I got the 3.52 firmware from the official Sony site, so I made sure I had that covered. I even tracked a few guides down to installing 3.52 M33, and most of them linked to the same site to download both the 1.50 and 3.52 firmware downloads.

Is there a way around that? I just tried it on my 256MB Sandisk card, and it said, "Error writing file flash0:/dic/aux0.dic, so I guess I can't do it that way...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  11. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, not sure, sounds like you've done everything right, the problem may rest with the actual flash0 on your psp.

"Error writing file flash0:/dic/aux0.dic"

Strange, though that might be the problem, the "DIC" folder is not vital as it just contains files relating to asian texts and some custom themes require that you delete that whole file to make room.

I deleted that file a few days ago to make room for a new theme, hvn't experienced any problems yet, but i did back it up before deleting it.

Maybe something you've done has got rid of that file, and the updater doesn't like it not being there? Or doesn't have enough room to write the files it needs to?

Though if i can remember correctly, i'm sure it formats the flash0 before doing anything else.

If it still doesn't work, you might be able to just get someone else's files, i'd be happy to send you mine, yet you would have to make a complete backup of flash0 before placing the new files in.

12. DrZack

DrZack Member

That would be great! It would really streamline the process. I don't mind completely formatting my 4GB disk since I already backed up the necessities. Should I just go through my PC and reformat to FAT once more? I'm pretty comfortable with doing that after so many attempts at this.

I really do appreciate the help!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Are you at 3.40 OE-A at the moment? Because you'd need to access recovery mode to get access to your flash0.

If you're not too sure what to do in recovery i could guide you through it (it's pretty simple)

I've got your email address written down now, so would suggest you edit your post and take it off (it's suggested you don't post your email address on forums as spammers can pick it up)

14. DrZack

DrZack Member

I'm not on 3.40oe-a, but if need be, I'll go ahead and upload to it. :)

I have to go to work, so I won't be back to discuss this until after 9:30pm tonight, but I don't work tomorrow, so that'll be good.

15. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

OK, no problem, i'll send you the files when you get back.

Just checking, are you in US or UK, or another country for that matter. I'm in UK, different time zones can mess things up a little bit lol

16. DrZack

DrZack Member

I'm in the US. I have GM -6.

17. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, i'm not going to be staying up till 3.30 am lol.

Nevermind, we can do everything tomorrow.

And also, i've got a custom theme on it so as different psp's work slightly differently, if it doesn't work straight away don't worry. I can make the default files again if you have trouble with it.

18. DrZack

DrZack Member

w00t! PSPMod's site had auto-installers that took care of everything for me. I got 3.52 to work! Thanks a lot for the help anyway, Shokz. I do appreciate it! Talk to you later. ;0

19. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Hey, glad to hear you managed to get everything to work in the end :)