1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Custom Firmware Malfunction

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by it_geek, Jun 9, 2014.

1. it_geek

it_geek Member

Hey guys,

This is my first time on the forum and I have read the forum rules as stated in the stickies, but please pardon me if I commit any mistakes!

I have an issue with a second hand PSP-1000 which I own. Since the UMD Drive is damaged and does not read any discs, everything has to run from the MS Pro Duo stick, in which I have used Custom Firmware. Almost 3 years later, I find my PSP behind lots of junk and I decide to boot it up again - only to realise the charger is dead! I get a new charger, boot up the PSP and I find that all the games which I had formerly got the vendor to install are all gone! When I connect the PSP to the computer, the ISOs and CSOs display just fine, but in the PSP it claims that there are no games!

My PSP is a PSP-1000, second hand running on Custom Firmware v3.71 M33-2.

I don't know the country of origin, but it's probably a Japanese one because it has Playstation Spot.

I took the isos out of the memory stick and put them in the computer, rebooted the PSP without the isos inside and then I transfer back the isos from the computer into the PSP, but I still get the same issue.

I hope I haven't violated any forum rules so far! - it_geek.

P.S. If you require me to dump the M33 Recovery Console Configuration please do so.

<<UPDATE>>
    The problem above has been resolved. Found out that it was a corrupted directory structure which I had unintentionally caused. I had FORMATTED the memory stick using the PSP to "reboot" a fresh directory structure onto the card. (Long story, PM me if you REALLY want to know the grandmother story...)

NEW Problem: Game shows up in the games list and plays its "Opening BGM", but when it is started, Error 80020148 displays and the following message attached is: "The game could not be started".

Checked other forums for answers and changed the UMD Driver from M33 -> Sony NP9660 -> OEisofs and also under Advanced -> Advanced Configuration I also disabled everything including Plain Modules... and Execute BOOT.BIN..., all which fail.

Again if you require me to provide the config dump of the M33 Recovery Console, please do so. Oh, and also the custom firmware is still 3.71 M33-2.

Considering that this card has been formatted, do I need to insert special files into the memory stick in order for it work, like some BOOT.BIN or some EBOOT.PBP?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Does your PSP read any data from the memory stick? I mean music and so on?

3. it_geek

it_geek Member

@Eisherz: Yes it still reads my save data and music. Btw see the <UPDATE> section in my first post. It has been modified.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Update to the latest custom firmware, 6.60 ME. You might have to go in steps, like 5.00 M33, then 6.60 ME

5. it_geek

it_geek Member

What exactly is the difference between 6.60 ME and 6.60 PRO-XX? (Where XX is the revision number)

Also, why do I need to upgrade in stages rather than just a direct upgrade to 6.60? I have looked in other places and others say that the direct upgrade works fine.

I am presuming you have done such upgrade work too, do you mind if you could weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of a staged upgrade versus a direct upgrade? I think it would be really helpful.

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

The PRO versions are LCFW, for the so-called unhackable PSPs (later 2k, 3k, GO and E1000) that don't support full custom firmware (sometimes they're also called homebrew enablers), you basically install them and every time you switch your PSP off it reverts back to OFW. They have less functions than a full custom firmware.

I recommended updating in stages because sometimes a direct update doesn't work.

7. it_geek

it_geek Member

OK, so if this is the case...

When you say upgrading in stages, what is the upgrade path I should take?
    Updating version by version incrementally (3.71 m33-2 -> 3.71 m33-3 -> 3.71 m33-4....->5.00 m33-> 5.00 m.33-2 and so on until reaching 6.60 ME?

Or, should I directly progress to 5.00 M33-4 from 3.71 M33-2? and then to 6.60ME?

Also, before installing the respective CFWs, do I also need to install the original firmware first?

I also looked on other forums, and some also say that you may need something called a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick in order to upgrade to CFW. Are these really necessary? If this is the case, I do have a battery which seems to be dead (it no longer charges), but can it still be converted to a Pandora Battery? I do not wish to invest in another battery as Batteries here are sold for a really high cost, at approx $40 SGD. Importing them isn't going to make my life easier, as my country does not allow the import of certain kinds of batteries unless an individual import permit is produced.

I am cautious about having way too many upgrade stages in a path. This PSP unit I have seems to shut down on me unexpectedly even if the A/C Adapter isn't touched. If this happens during the upgrade process then I am really screwed... I hope that you can provide me with the shortest upgrade path possible so as to reduce the risk of permanently bricking my PSP beyond any recovery means except replacement - which would mean I have wasted quite a lot of money to me having invested in this PSP unit.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really appreciate your help so far, thank you! - it_geek.

8. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Wow, you got A LOT mixed up here. First, no, don't update to official firmware, that would mean you couldn't update to custom firmware anymore (or atleast not easily). Just update your PSP to 5.00 M33-1 and then 6.60 ME, steps in-between aren't neccessary.

The Pandora Battery and the Magic Memory stick were needed a long time ago to go from official firmware to custom firmware, they can come in quite handy if you manage to brick a PSP too. A Pandora Battery costs less than 5 USD, if you buy it from a China-based (or Hong Kong based) seller like www.dx.com, but you don't need it (and I am sure there are SG-based sellers too). Another way of updating from OFW to CFW is by using a HEN (homebrew enabler) or LCFW like one of the PRO-versions (5.50 PRO, 6.20 PRO and so on). Not relevant for you, because you already are on custom firmware.

Actually, bricking a PSP permanently which is already on custom firmware is quite a task, because in about 95% of the bricks you can still access recovery menue and start over again.

9. it_geek

it_geek Member

Oh, so I actually don't ever need to even bother about LCFW's, OFW's, Pandora Batteries and Magic Memory Sticks anymore? Ok, If that's the case then I will upgrade from 3.71 M33-2 to 5.00 M33-1 and then finally to 6.60 ME. For 5.00 M33 I should be using the one released by Dark_Alex and for 6.60 ME I should be using the one by neur0n, right?

Also, you talked about being able to recover from a mid-firmware upgrade brick due to an unexpected shutdown. How do I do this if I ever do encounter it?

Is there anything preventing me from upgrading from 3.71 M33-2 to 5.00 M33-6 then to 6.60 ME?

I am not 100% sure how to perform the upgrade. In which folder of the PSP memory stick do I put the custom firmware and how do I execute the update from the XMB? Are there any additional settings I need to change in the M33 recovery menu prior to performing the upgrade? Should I also clear any ISOs that may still reside in the memory stick first before starting the upgrade?

When I visited this link: http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-firmware/custom-m33-firmware/
    to download the 5.00 M33 firmware they say that I am required to install the 5.00 Original Firmware first before the custom firmware can be loaded, which is confusing me even further...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  10. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

You need the OFW, but you don't need it installed. You have to put it somewhere on your memory stick. Also the firmware package with the custom firmware should have instructions on where to put everything, I can't help you there, it's just been too long.

To access recovery menue either press the right shoulder key during bootup (hold it down, start your PSP and keep holding it down) or the right arrow key.

Also, I don't remember if 5.00 M33-6 was only a partial update, if not you can update to 5.00 M33-6 and then 6.60 ME, just don't update to 5.50 CFW, because that one changed the firmware identifier in flash0, to prevent accidental updating. You'd have to manually change it.

11. it_geek

it_geek Member

Ok, the picture is much clearer now...

Only thing is, the updater won't let me update.

My battery is dead -_-" and it says it needs a minimum of 78% battery for the update to continue lol... Looks like I really still need a new battery.

Are batteries really dead, or can I just convert it into a jigkick battery?
    (I am a bit cautious in continuing to use this battery though, as it is already bulging weirdly... it might actually explode if I am not careful)

Anyways, thanks for the help! I should be okay for now....

If I do have any further queries, do I post them to this same topic or should I start another thread? :)

12. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

If it is bulging weirdley it truly is dead. Another option would be that it's deep discharged, which would also mean it's dead. And you can't turn it into a Pandora battery (or jigkick), if it's dead.

13. it_geek

it_geek Member

Well... I guess it really makes sense why I can't even push the battery into the PSP-1000.... It never fitted like it used to.