1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Game Backups // How To Play?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Seclude, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Seclude

Seclude Member

I had my friend send me a backup of a PSP game that I already own because my Dog thought it would be funny to nibble on mine and destroy it.

The question is, how do I actually use it to play it back on my PSP?

I get a lot about consoles, but for some reason, the PSP just confuses me to no end. It's very different to me. I really wanna play my game on my PSP again.

Can someone help me with a tutorial I can understand and maybe simplify it for my newbie PSP knowledge? Thank you.

2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

In order to play backups you need custom firmware. Depending on which firmware you are currently running, you will need to first downgrade said firmware to version 1.5, and then upgrade from there to a custom such as 3.40OE.This allows you to play your backups as well as playing homebrew and emulators NES,SNES,SEGA,etc.

3. Seclude

Seclude Member

My PSP is at official firmware 3.03 so is there a way to downgrade or play games with it then?

4. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

you have a couple of options for downgrading-there is a 3.03 downgrader, and there is a 3.50 downgrader-
    If I were in your situation, I would upgrade to official 3.50, then downgrade to 1.5 FW using the universal downgrader and an unpatched UMD of Lumines. The other option requires an unpatched UMD of GTA:Liberty City Stories that is next to impossible to find. You might want to do some research first, and decide for yourself as you are ultimately responsible for your PSP. There is a tutorial on the first page of this forum, as well as on psp-hacks.com

Good Luck!

5. Seclude

Seclude Member

Thank you! It seems eBay is an easy method of getting the GTA game for a decently low price since most people selling them are those who had just needed it for a mod on their PSP themselves, so I'm assuming it's a one time deal that you actually need the game for to actually mod, huh? I can't imagine how many hands the same GTA game has been in then! Lol. I might go for the Lumines one though. Might be cheaper, and since you suggested it, I'll give it a whirl.

I've actually heard of psp-hacks. I'm gonna check them out. Thanks!

6. Seclude

Seclude Member

Thanks to your helpful information, I managed to downgrade to official firmware 1.5... and now I just wish I knew the next step to accomplishing my needs. Thanks again.