1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP HISTORY: FROM DAY ONE

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by zegame, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zegame

zegame Regular member

Hey guys,

In this thread give us a little paragraph about your history with you favorite handheld (PSP!!!) Starting from the day you bought it till the day your beloved bricked and you had to trash it for a shiny new one. Talk about the mods and firmware changes, becoming a pro and helping the new generation of noobz, and all of your halirious psp stories. Tell us about the day the mod gods cracked your firmware. Enjoy, and lets all remeber why we love this system so much...

2. yohex

yohex Guest

I'm still a noob and have nothing to boast about, but if you want look at my sig for my psp history.

3. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

ummmm won just a psp on ebay for £100 when they were first out, it came 1.5 :D ummm then came fastloader then umdemulator then devhook lol,got a flame vinyl on decalgirl for it. i had enough of that then converted it to a white psp and recently i gave in to guano ibjaredu etc to upgrade to custom FW so i went to 3.O30E-A THEN OE-B and now OE-C

4. Dailen

Dailen Member

Didn't check version on day one, but from what I remember:
    Both PSPs recived for Christmas (Dec. 25th, 2006)

My PSP: ?>2.82>3.03>3.03HEN>1.5>3.03 OE-C

Little Bro's PSP: ?>2.82>3.03>3.03HEN>1.5>3.03 OE-C>bricked>I fixed to 1.5>3.10 OE-A

5. wolfcav92

wolfcav92 Regular member

i bought my psp bout 3-4 months ago from target never looked what fw it had did'nt know nuthin bout any of this gowngrading stuff still kinda don't 2 weeks ago i got my new faceplate and skin i got a XCM emerald green metallic faceplate and a dragons breath skin both from decalgirl also then yesterday i downgraded my 3.03fw to 1.50 then fooled with it for lil while then upgraded to 3.10 and now if anyone knows the link to it i would like to upgrade to 3.10 OE-A if i can i am also in the process of fixing a bricked psp that i picked up and i plan on trying my hand at installing a U.P. modchip next i will update everyone on how that works i plan on getting a new mobo to fix the bricked one then the mobo that is bricked is the one that i am going to try putting the modchip on (cross my fingers) well i will give it a shot anyways:)

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Lets see, I think it was like this

1.51>2.0>1.5>2.71 SE-A>2.71 SE-B>2.71 SE-B'>2.71 SE-B''>2.71 SE-B'''>2.71 SE-C>3.02 OE-A>3.02 OE-B>3.03 OE-A>3.03 OE-A'>3.03 OE-B>3.03 OE-C>3.10 OE-A>3.10 OE-A'

I might be missing 1 or 2 in the very begining but that should be it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  7. guano

guano Regular member

Ok....... *takes a breath*

My Entire PSP History by guano

(Disclaimer: This is EVERYTHING about my PSP and the things I went thru w/ it. If you can't deal w/ finer details about my PSP and some related elements of my life then you're fainthearted, so you should prolly stop reading now.)

Chapter 1: Release Week (Complete n00b)

I went into GameStop one day. This was a few days after the US Release and at this point, I didn't even know what PSPs looked like in person. I had wanted one forever and didn't think I would have one for a while. I had about 315 USDollars in my pocket when I went in b/c I had just gotten paid. To get a brand new PSP and one game, it was about 318 USDollars. I took a breath, reached into my pocket and pulled out all my money w/o even really thinking about it. I was a hardcore gamer. I bought the release WITHOUT the Spider Man movie, so I had even less going into the deal than an empty wallet. Actually, I left the store with something like $1.78 USDollars. My boy Woody was going to stay in the store to look at some more games, but I ran out to my car to open the box. When I got to my car, my hands were shaking and I ripped the PSP box open like a kid at Christmas. I spent like 10 minutes setting the thing up and looking at the menus and listening to the sounds, getting an overall feel for how the PSP operates. Later on that day, I went down and did my tax return. I basically ended up getting my money back, so in a way - FREE PSP. (Technically, anyway) SCORE! After I got my tax return, (I chose to get an instant check on the spot), I headed back to GameStop b/c I only had NFSU Rivals. I needed more games b/c I didn't wanna be stuck playing one game; I wanted variety. So I bought Twisted Metal. I then went back to my flat and sat on my flatmate's floor while I checked everything out up close. I wanted to see the quality of the videos and graphics of the video games. I went to bed late that night, needless to say. A few weeks later, I heard about someone playing Super Mario Brothers on PSP, but I had no idea how. It quickly became forgotten about.

Chapter 2: Months Later

I lived in Washington state when I bought my PSP and I was supposed to be taking vacation soon to go back to Maine, where I currently live. (I hate Maine more than life itself, and won't be surprised if you've never heard of it.) Well, shortly before I left, (about one week) my flatmate found something on the internet called "PSPersonalize". I was like :eek: What is it? He told me what it does and I thought it was cool, but I then read the common disclaimer you will see in any Homebrew game/application's read me: "This may break/brick your PSP and I will not be held responsible", it read. I said, "NO WAY!" Little did I know, this would become a foreshadow of what I would later become consumed by - homebrew and hacking the PSP. Anyway, vacation time came and I headed for the airport. I remember playing Midnight Club :D while waiting for my flight. Well, I got the times wrong, so I ended up playing for a while, but at this time I didn't know about Isos, so my battery went dead a tad rapidly.

Chapter 3: Back in Maine

Vacation ended and I decided to stay in Maine at the last minute b/c I wanted to be near my family again. (I had been in Washington, away from my family for 9 years) Well, I spent my nights searching for games for the PSP. (I was living w/ my Dad and his Fiancee) I would go to Google and search "PSP Games" b/c I wanted to find out about the latest and greatest. At this point, I STILL didn't know about homebrew, hacking or Isos. (This was back before the White PSP was ever introduced) So when I saw "PSP 24/7 Homebrew", I ignored it b/c I had never even heard the term "homebrew" before in my life. After a week or so of seeing that same search result amongst the rest, I gave in and clicked the link. This is where my life changed. I saw the names of all these games and became very interested. As I read on, something clicked and I stopped - "These games are FREE?!" (Another :eek: moment.) I went crazy that night and downloaded my first ten or so homebrews. I was addicted after that and surfed the site of "PSP 24/7 Homebrew" - what I later found out was DCEmu - as often as I could. I found the homebrew greats: TetrisJP, rRootage, Vector Infector, had to try Hello World (Thank you, PSPpet), Attack Of The Mutants, ThrottleX, ScummVM, the lot. Then I found out about the applications and what the possibilities were. (Yet another :eek: moment) So then I began hacking and finding more out about this "homebrew" stuff. Pretty damn cool so far! I must make mention of the fact that shortly before I found out about homebrew, I had upgraded to v2.00 (Newest FW at the time) b/c of the THEME option where you can set your own wallpaper and b/c of the WWW. So, needless to say, I was playing via the eBoot loader. (As it was called back then and Fanjita's first release which was based on someone else's work. This would later become known as the "eLoader".) Being a user of the eBoot loader, I was unware I had a bugged version. It would only display 22 games at one time and I was getting tired of this. (Little did I know there was a version with the option "More" to show more games.) So I found a cool little hack and decided to share it b/c I thought EVERYONE had this problem. By this time, I had found about qj, PSPHacks and ps2nfo, so I let them in on this "hack." You can view one of the headlines about it from DCEmu here and you can view what was going to be my original PSP hacking website here. As I surfed DCEmu everyday, I started to see more and more mentions of a guy named MPH. (Veterans of the hacking scene, say "HELL yea!" - You know MPH VERY well.) At first, I ignored this just as I ignored DCEmu, but I eventually gave in. He was the author of the FIRST v2.00 downgrader! I started to read the benefits of v1.50 and decided to downgrade. I didn't like the part that read, "I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR EVENTUALS DAMAGE.", but I kept on. So that opened up a whole world of possibilities. Shortly thereafter, I found out about PBPUnpacker and began to create my own Eboot images (pic1/icon0). So I spent my days creating secondary Eboots from then on. B/c of homebrew, I didn't play a REAL PSP game for 9 months. It was during this time that I figured out a clever little trick to change bad icons into good ones if you have set your custom wallpaper w/ PSPersonalize. (On some games/apps, the icons would appear all jacked up looking.) The end of the 9 month period brought GTA:LCS and I upgraded back to v2.00 for it. Shortly after that, MPH figured out how to run GTA:LCS on a v1.50 and that was VERY exciting, so I downgraded once again.

Chapter 4: My First ISO

I kept hearing mentions of Isos during the winter months of 2006, as I got deeper into the underground scene. I had joined the Psix forums by purchasing Psix, the most controversial PSP shell ever made. (Fluff - HAHAHA) Folks would mention Iso on that site and I had no idea what they were. So I asked. I found out that you didn't have to have the UMD of the game and that using Isos were not only less wear and tear on the internal parts of the PSP itself such as the lens and CPU, but that it saved on batter power and were faster to load that traditional UMD games. I started searching for how to rip UMD games and ended up finding AfterDawn forums numerous times, but at the time had no idea what forums were. I didn't know you could ask questions and make posts. But I just wanted answers. So I started figuring things out on my own, and was reading posts on AfterDawn as well. Tell you the truth, I thought the AfterDawn Forums were an UGLY forum when I first saw them. The site looked very generic and basic, so I had no interest in finding out more about the actual site itself. That would all change. I read a post on another site that asked, "How do I make an Iso?" The member's idea was to take the pic1 and icon0 and try to make an Eboot. I thought that sounded like a good idea b/c I had recently ripped GTA:LCS using MPH's UMD Ripper and I had the PSP_GAME and UMD_DATA.BIN from it. When it didn't work, I kept on searching. I asked someone on the Psix forums and found out how to do it. So compiled the Iso w/ UMDGen, ran it and crapped my pants. I was so excited I had finally learned how to hack a UMD and play an Iso. Esp GTA:LCS on a v1.50, which was BIGTIME back then.

Chapter 5a: DevHook

I had known about DevHook v0.22 for quite some time and I knew you needed it to hook boot b/c it worked in conjunction w/ UMDEmulator. By now, I was a new member of AfterDawn (told ya things would change) and I was reading the news on qj one day about the newest version of DevHook, v0.40. I thought, "No way..." 2.50 Emulation! COOL! O.O There were many games I wanted to play, but I didn't want to upgrade from 1.50. This was my ticket in. I went and bought my first 2.50 game after work and learned how to run it that night using DevHook. I had to make a dump of a UMD's update to run it. I put the dh folder in the root of the ms0 and played all night. I don't remember what game I bought but to my surprise, the very next day brought another release of DevHook - v0.42 w/ 2.60 emulation. FINALLY!! I got to play Sega's OutRun Coast 2 Coast!! (Hodgins, hex, Thirst97 and SVTstang remember how badly I wanted to play that game.) I upgraded to v0.42 and stayed there long enough to learn about Iso hacking. Ripping w/ rip kits (for the longest time I had NO idea what a rip kit was), manual ripping, swapping prx files, learning the F0 and F1 and how to swap files like fonts and gameboots. (To this day, I STILL have a huge collection of old prx files on my pc.) It was b/c of prx swapping that I was one of the first members of AfterDawn to successfully beat Splinter Cell b/c I had a large enough memory stick to fit the entire game. Most other members were trying to rip the game and if you rip the game at all, it won't run for very long; it will only freeze about ten minutes into the game. But all of us members got a big treat b/c of prx swapping. It was a great time! Anyway, I had been messing w/ the flash and changed out my font and other files on my v1.50, but it was cool to be able to finally see what the PSP flash actually looked like. That was the huge upside of DevHook; being able to see the flash, this thing that was so very sensitive, as most ppl say. I beg to differ, but hey... w/e. (I was the guy that flashed .jpegs to my v1.50 flash and it worked. hahaha) By the time v0.44 was released, I knew the flash very well, so it was a quick swap. I read on ps2nfo how to make a No Autorun version of the DevHook Eboot, (Props to Baldy from Maxconsole) so I made my first worthy contribution to the homebrew scene, which is locked away at the URL located here. My No Autorun Eboot. I was proud I could help 1,855 ppl w/ this. :)

SubChapta: (MISCELLANEOUS) I kicked around the forums here intermittently writing tutorials. Started Alpha Kr3vv and got dissed for it, so Alpha Kr3vv quickly disbanded. Veterans remember this - hahaha. (Hodgins, thanks for your support) Made friends and lost friends b/c of this.

Chapter 5b: Dark_Alex Debut

Yay! The arrival of DaxZiso!!! About the time this was released, the Daxter PSP game had been out for a week or so. I honestly thought for the longest time DaxZiso was some special cheat tool to be used w/ Daxter. Boy, was I wrong. This brought Iso hacking to a whole new level w/ compression supported games.

Chapter 6: Dark_Alex Custom FW POC/SE/OE

I woke up one Saturday morning to this news: Dark_AleX Custom FW POC. So I followed the thread - all eight pages of it - until I finally caught up w/ what was going on. Seems Dark_Alex released a special module (prx) that you could flash, is what I gathered. It could do special things - things never before done on a PSP. So I gave it a shot. I came to love my AutoUSB option, shortcuts to emulated firmware mode thru DevHook (quickboot, basically), screenshot modules, quick exit to v1.50, etc. Custom FW POC quickly brought about the birth of SE. However, I must admit I never upgraded to SE. Well, that's wrong. I did - ONCE. I was at SE for 5 minutes before I was looking for the RECOVERY folder. I hated it. I was out of my element - scared to be away from v1.50, the FW that I knew so well and became so comfortable w/. So throughout all the upgrades to SE, I remained at v1.50 and DevHook v0.44. It was like magic; we got along famously, v1.50 and I. Hell, I never even upgraded past DevHook v0.44... *fond memories* I was reading about OE one day and I thought, "Big deal? Just another stupid SE FW." Boy was I wrong. So I tried it b/c of the PSone emu. Upgraded and never looked back. Don't regret it to this day. Since I have upgraded to thru all the upgrades of OE from 3.02 OE-A to 3.03 OE-C now, I have learned many things. I have also found one thing to be true: Editing your Flash via USB is TEH PWN!!! (Yea, I'll go cliche in saying that. I don't care.) Besides, I haven't played a PSP game in a grip. Since I upgraded, it's been all about the PSone games. But mainly, it's hacking for me.

THE END

About the author: (Just kidding)

Miscellaneous parts/recaps of my PSP history:

*I had a collection of 38 Isos at one point, but deleted them all b/c I got tired of them.
    *My favourite PSP game EVER: Jeanne D'Arc
    *I still have my 350+MB homebrew collection.
    *I still have tons of prx files from when we used to prx swap for games.
    *Knowingly flashed .jpeg files to PSP instead of .bmps
    *I love my homebrew community, so I tried to make my own contributions (made 2 contributions total)
    *I like pizza

Thanks to:

PSPpet, Dark_AleX, jas0nuk, whackawookie, Ookm, MPH, DeNitro and all the other authors of homebrew games that gave me so many months of entertainment (too many to list), all the other authors of cool

applications I've used (too many to list), The guy that made the reboot prx, Fanjita (ugh), man forget it. Too many ppl to list. Thank you to everyone who has helped me or been a friend or who has made an effing sweet release. [/thanks]

~guano

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  8. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

um..can you make the post any longer? lol. Well i got my psp back in september (supposed to be a b-day present but got it 3 weeks after) and it was a factory 2.6 ta-082, then i read up on psp scene (before buying the psp) and started using homebrew. Then came the ta-082 downgrader which finally gave the ta-082/086 users to downgrade their psps and im here now at oe-c.

9. guano

guano Regular member

He said "PSP History", so I told it.

10. balkie16

balkie16 Regular member

got hooked up with a used psp, star wars battlefront 2, 512mb mem stick all for the low price of 75$ haha and it was 2.6 fw i think so i just upgrade to 2.71 then down to 1.5 using downgrader then up to 3.03 OE A like last week then to 3.03 OE C couple days back aswell. curently enjoying ps1 games on the go!

11. Megaman17

Megaman17 Regular member

Check out my PSP history in my sig.

12. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

ROFL geez guano, ill have to find the time to read it

ive read it now
    good story lol and no probs with the support ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007