1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psp line of death

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by ravens1, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I recently took a vacation and of course i brought my psp along. I had Lumines and Mx vs Atv. Sometime while playing Lumines i noticed that there was a black, vertical line down my psp screen. Where the line is is where one of the lines for the puzzle game is, so it was hard to see. I don't know how the line got there because i never dropped my psp because it was in a case that protects it.

During the time from when i noticed the line on my vacation to now when I'm home, the line changed colors. Its now green and red. The line is always on my psp, games, movies, whatever. I tried switching backgrounds to see if it would do anything but nothing changed.

Also, i bought a battery before i went on the trip and now my battery of my psp is acting funny. It will have about 13% battery(about 30min), then it will all just run out and my psp will flash the black screen indicating that i ran out of battery.

I did some searching on the internet and i think i have the "psp line of death." I found a tutorial here but that seems a little advanced for me. If its the only way my psp will be able to be fixed i might try it.

I took some pictures too.
    Here: http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9558/snc11134pn6.jpg
    Here: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9921/snc11136fa6.jpg

Also, is there any kind of tool i can use to fix this like a pixel fixer?

If anyoneone has any advice for what i should do please reply.
    Thanks a lot.

2. oosel

oosel Regular member

Man that sucks, I never seen that problem before but I would assume you will have to replace the LCD screen. If so I didnt think it was that hard at all to pull the LCD screen in mine.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  3. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

That's a very easy tutorial... All you need is some soft tinfoil, like from a chocolate, or from a cigarette package like he said, a screw driver, and a brain to remember how you took it apart and what goes where. Very simple.

Or, of course, you could probably just buy a new LCD off of eBay if your too scared or it doesn't work, OR just take it into some shop or somthing and let them deal with it.

**And about the battery, jut take it back if you can because obviously it's defective and doesn't hold a charge very well. Just get your bill, take it to the store, and yell at them if you have too. Give them the Evil Eye or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  4. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, i will try the tutorial. It is a little difficult to understand because its a video and i don't know about you, but there's no audio. If there is a simple tutorial that has steps and pictures so i can actually know what i am supposed to do, then i will try to fix my psp.

Thanks

5. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Oh, there's audio with it. I guess it didn't really work for 'ya. I guess I'll describe it for you :)

Ok what you do is:

1. Take off the face plate and the little bar under the screen so the screen is basically exposed.

2. If you press on the pad under the screen(at least that's what it looks like in the video) that was covered by the little bar, you can see that a little part of the screen will start to change colours. So what you want to do is get a little piece of what looks like paper-foil or whatever, like what you would find in a cigarette carton or on a chocolate bar or something, role it up and place it off to the right under the line(reference the video as an example).

3. After you've placed it in the correct spot, leave it there and just screw the metal bar back on, over the foil. This will create pressure on the screen(like you did with your finger) and should magicly remove the line(as it did in the video).

4. Once the metal bar is in place, turn it on to test it before you put everything else back together just incase it doesn't work so you can move it around a little and so on until it does, without the hassle of taking it apart again and putting it back together over and over again.

There you have it, I hope it works out. Post back if it does, or doesn't, or whatever.

My first tutorial :)

6. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

So i leave the foil in my psp so it makes the line disappear??

7. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

Ya when you screw the bar on top of the foil, it squeezes it and creates pressure on the pad or whatever under the screen.

8. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Gee, i don't know. I mean how long will the foil last "creating pressure?" Sometime the pressure must wear off, right?

9. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

True... unless you have anything else that won't heat up, and isn't too hard, I guess you could use that.

Otherwise, you'll probably be changing it every once in a while. But that's cheaper then buying a new LCD right?

10. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I think i will just buy a new screen. The cheapest one i have seen is for $39.99. Do you know of a cheaper place to buy a screen online?