1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psp Mod Chip??

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by staxx, Feb 24, 2007.

1. staxx

staxx Regular member

I came across a site that has mod chips for the psp and was wondering if anyone has used one yet and if its worth it. To me it looks good cause it adds another flash drive so you can undo any bricks as well as your flash0 isnt used up from the custom firmware...Anyways heres the link to it (don't know if its alright to post it but if it isnt feel free to delete this thread), just wanna know your thoughts and opinions on it, like is it safe, any experiences, etc etc. http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/psp_undiluted_platinum_modchip.php

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  2. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

its not worth it, unless u are an expert solderer

3. twyphoon

twyphoon Member

i would say its completely not worth it. it seems like most that you would get out of it you can get out of custom firmare. in dark alex's OE, you have recovery mode that can save you from a bricked situation, and downgrading from 2.71/upgrading from 1.50 is very easy and safe. i have extremely bad luck with modding (lol i modded my xbox and the controller ports are sketchy), but dark alex has made it very easy. and for that same reason, in the case of the psp i would stay away from hardware modding and just go software. its easier, safer, cost-effective.

4. staxx

staxx Regular member

@hex - At the bottom of the page on that link it states "Looking for a mod-chip installer in your area? E-mail support@mod-chip.com
    Service technicians can apply here to get listed in our chip installation and repair service directory (it's completely free!!)" So i mean if theres someone in the area that could solder then do you feel its worth it?

@twyphoon - Its still possible to brick and not be able to access recovery mode example would be using cintro incorrectly.

5. Kazangwa

Kazangwa Regular member

With DevHook, custom firmwares, and recovery mode, the Undiluted Platinum is totally obsolete. You can get the same features for free minus the extra flash.

6. staxx

staxx Regular member

True, thanks for everyones input.

7. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

saying custom firmware compared to UP modchip making it obsolete, is well totally untrue. There is some scenario's custom firmware recovery console cannot recover from and can create a fully bricked psp. It has happened to me. the UP mod chip is the only way currently to recover a fully bricked psp.

8. Kazangwa

Kazangwa Regular member

True, but still is 90 dollars (plus amazing soldering skills) or 200 dollars really worth that extra security? I say not.

By the way, I didn't know you had on of the chips.

9. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

Oh I dont. Hell I aint paying that much for that, it's a ripoff. I just wanted to clear up the fact that the mod chip outperforms (can recover fully bricked PSP's) recovery mode (can't) from custom firmware.

10. Kazangwa

Kazangwa Regular member

True dat.