1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP modchip, a real pain to install!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by sanctum78, May 19, 2007.

1. sanctum78

sanctum78 Member

I just bought the "Undiluted Platinum" modchip.. I started to open my PSP to install the chip and soon realized that I had to almost completly strip the PSP to get to the main board. I've searched the net but havn't managed to find a complete guide on how to open the PSP.

Anyways I managed to loosen every part after an hour of strugling only to discover that the tracks I was supposed to solder the chip to was ridiciously smal. I almost laughed when I saw the tracks. Its 9 tracks on a 2mm wide area, and you have to scrape off the soldermask to get through to the metal. You get a tool to place as a guide which is more anoying than usefull.

If you should be succesfull in removing the solder mask, you have to get the wires to stick without shorting out the other tracks....

I've chipped about 20 ps2 without any problem, but this to me is a lost cause..

Have anyone had any success installing this chip?? If I could find some alternative solder points maybe I could get it to work?hmm, any ideas on that anyone?

2. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

3. sanctum78

sanctum78 Member

ah, great...Thanks! Im going to assemble my PSP back again now. Too bad I wasted the money on the chip :-( It dosn't look that bad in the images, but they are enlarged. You need a microscope, å tool for scraping off the soldermask, and an extremly small tip on your soldering iron.

Heres a review of the chip: Undiluted Platinum Chip

hmm, it should be possible to use some other soldering points than the ones in the guide that are easier?

4. sanctum78

sanctum78 Member

5. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

Its not worth the risk, just buy it and have someone local install it.