1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP Motherboard Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Zyoren, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Zyoren

Zyoren Member

To anyone that has replaced their motherboard, or knows a bit about the inside of a PSP, I had a few questions..

First, here's my story.

My black PSP ended up being bricked thanks to CINTRO, I flashed it.. It was my mistake, I should have checked the forums more throughly before installing that. Later, I learned they had a memory stick mod for CINTRO. In anycase, the deal here is my PSP bricked thanks to CINTRO.

A friend of mine has a PSP that he doesn't use anymore, he opened it and god knows what he did. It looks completely fine, but now when I checked it, seems like the PSP Internal Power Connector doesn't work anymore, I put my old PSP battery in and even plugged it to an outlet and not even the orange light shows up. He says problems started occurring whenever his PSP fell, after that happened, if he were to insert a memory stick into the PSP somehow automatically shut off, so he decided to open it up and check the problem. He ended up messing it up even more though, he said that later he couldn't even get the screen to show up anything it just stayed black, and now apparently the Internal Connector doesn't receive power.

To sum it off, the PSP had two heavy problems.

- Screen won't show anything
    - Inserting a memory stick causes the PSP to shut off.

So it has two problems now, but I know for a fact that this motherboard is almost identical to mine since he bought it around the same date.

I ended up deciding to swap the motherboard regardless of the problem, upon taking the LCD screen off, I found the motherboard to look fine, nothing was loose.

I took my own PSP apart and swapped the motherboards, I double checked all the cables to see if everything was connected.

I connected the LCD Screen, and turned the PSP on. The problem is that I can see the green light, and unlike the bricked motherboard from my other PSP, on this PSP the light doesn't shut off by itself, I can push the power button up, wait a few seconds and it turns off by itself like a normal working PSP.

On my bricked PSPs mobo, this wouldn't work, and it would automatically shut by itself after a few seconds, normal symptoms of a bricked PSP.

I tried both LCDs, my friends and mine. Neither seem to work, I can only see the backlight and thats about it, no sound, no image. Could the mobo itself have another problem?

I've also inserted a UMD and it sounded like it was reading the disk. dunno if that has any relevance. I put the PSP back together, and checked to see wether or not my memory stick would blink as if it were reading. However, it does not. I'm pretty sure its not the actual memory stick reader that is under the motherboard itself, since all I did was swap the MOBO, and I know none of my PSP parts had problems prior to the brick.

My question are,

1) Do any of those problems I mentioned earlier rely on the motherboard itself? I want to swap the motherboard, that's it.

2) Do I need the exact same motherboard or does a different model number work? My MOBO is a TA-081 while the one I swapped with was a TA-079.

Thanks in advance guys, I could really use the help. Sorry for the terribly long post.

2. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Actually, its pretty informative. That is helpful for figuring out the problem. Now, I have no clue what the problem is but did you try and plug your other MOBO back in to see if its the LCD or somethin else? Sorry I cant really help.

3. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

1.) Everything is ran thru the motherboard so if the right problem arose it could effect the LCD display. I in fact had one that I couldn't see the display had no sound...basically the same symptoms u described.

2.) the motherboard version does not make a difference. if you have a psp that came with a ta-079 mobo you could install a ta-086 and be fine.

4. Binighted

Binighted Member

Actually,That is not entirely true.If he had a Ta-081 he can change the mobo from 079 up to 081 but he couldn't use a 082 or 086 due to a voltage issue, and backwards, if he had a 082 he could only use a 082 or 086 not 079 to 081.in his case it should work but I think both psp's are bricked,not all the bricks look the same.Maybe a hardware brick with the second.(I feel your pain I also suffered from the Cintro brick)

5. Zyoren

Zyoren Member

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, I'll open it up again and check again to see if any of the cables are loose.

@WierdName I wish I could, but since my PSP is the one that got bricked because of Cintro, I won't manage to see anything.

@hexitnow That sucks to hear, did you end up getting a new motherboard/PSP ?

@Binightred It could possibly be that, too bad I can't tell since everything looks just the same as my other motherboard, nothing seems out of the ordinary. I do remember prior to my friends Memory Stick incident, he could still play games and do everything fine, it was just whenever he would insert a memory stick that it would cause the PSP to shut down. From what I saw, he never did tamper below the LCD since he didn't know how. Guess we'll never know, since after he opened it his PSP stopped working either way.

I was thinking about putting his PSP back together and checking if it was something he forgot to plug in which caused the PSP to stop working.

Right now atleast, it seems that his motherboard could be messed up, yet his NAND Chip is safe, while my motherboard is perfect yet it is my NAND chip that is messed up. Its too hard to remove the chip by itself right? Is it even possible?

Thanks again.

6. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Regular member

Actually thats not true either, i have put a TA-079 in an original Ta-082 and vice versa.

7. Binighted

Binighted Member

Well it does work but but due to the voltage issue the sound and the wifi gets affected,at least wuth the 4 I have tried happend ,then I went to maxconsole and found out it was due to a voltage issue.

8. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Regular member

i have never encountered problems, all the parts from my PSPs are the same voltage and amperage.

9. Binighted

Binighted Member

Well the mobo itself has some voltage diferences,thats why the Up Mod-chip doesn't work in 082-086.I seriuslly dont know how you say it works.

10. ibjaredu

ibjaredu Regular member

i only say it works because it does from my experience

11. Zyoren

Zyoren Member

Well I'm about to try and put this the TA-079 mobo (The motherboard that isn't bricked) back to my friends PSP to see if it is actually the mobo that having problems.

I'll post what happens.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  12. Binighted

Binighted Member

Interesting, tell us the results.

13. burnin1

burnin1 Regular member

I just replaced my bricked ta-082 with a ta-079 motherboard FW 1.5 {verified working from person who works on psps}

Turned the power on and the screen still does not come on, green light is on.

Do I have another issue with the psp, or is it also a bricked ta-079 mobo?

14. NewMinion

NewMinion Member

Wow burnin1, that is exactly the same I did with mine, motherboard version and all, and I got the exact same problem as you too (green light, nothing else). When I did my motherboard swap, I only switched the motherboards, nothing else. That means that internal parts that were in my TA-082 are now being used with a TA-079. I'm going to try switching the internal parts along with it, and that should fix my problem (although I don't know for sure). That's what I recommend doing with yours, if you can find the parts. I can let you know in a few days if it works or not. If anyone else has a better idea, please let me know.

15. burnin1

burnin1 Regular member

alright kewl, keep me updated.

16. NewMinion

NewMinion Member

Yeah, it worked. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because in the end all I really did was swap the body and the screen, both of which seem to be universal. I guess that's the only solution to your problem that I can think of, burnin1.

17. burnin1

burnin1 Regular member

k thanks buddy. Anyone need a working Ta-079 mobo with 1.5FW!
    lol