1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP noob.

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by khloud, Sep 23, 2007.

1. khloud

khloud Regular member

So I'm planning on getting a PSP [Or a pisp as I call it.] Anyways, been reading about playing backups, I understand I need to downgrade to firmware 1.5 to upgrade to custom firmware. And I am getting a fat PSP. Is Pandora's Battery and the Magic Memory Stick something I really need? And if so, do I really need a second PSP to make them?

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

You need a Pandora battery if the firmware is above 3.50, anything below that you can use various different downgraders.

For a Pandora battery, yes, to make one you need a PSP that is already on 1.50/CFW.

3. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

"Is Pandora's Battery and the Magic Memory Stick something I really need?"

well ya, just in case you ever brick your psp or if you want to downgrade to 1.50 directly, i just made one today.

"And if so, do I really need a second PSP to make them?"

You Only need a psp with custom firmware or 1.50 firmware

4. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Hacker, you're sig's 40pixels too tall man :p

Sorry i beat you :)

5. khloud

khloud Regular member

Wow, playing PSP backups sounds really complicated. I seriously hope I don't get firmware about 3.50. But if I do brick it, can't I just go into recovery mode and go to "run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP"? Or at least, that's what I heard. And when you say I need a PSP with 1.5 firmware, does that mean a second one? Or can I downgrade one I'm getting to 1.5 and make one?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  6. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

dang you beat me by a split second:) oh and about the pic...it is now edited

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Let's see, it's not very hard if you know what you're doing, if you jump in blind then you might find you drown, but don't worry, you'll learn stuff quick enough.

The recovery mode is only when you're on CFW, but you're rigt, most times you brick you can use recovery to fix it, this is called a semi-brick. I've semi-bricked at least 40 times, so no worries. An easier way of repairing a semi-brick is to back up your flash0 file to your PC, and then transfer them over if you brick (We can show you how to do this when you get to CFW).

Once you've downgraded to 1.50, yes, you can make a Pandora battery. When you get your PSP, tell us what firmware you are on, then we can guide you to the right downgrader.

8. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

beat me again shockz was just about to post:). Well what Shockz Said You Can Only Go into recovery mode if you have a semi brick if you have a full brick you wont be able to do nothing with it, hence the term "Brick"

9. khloud

khloud Regular member

Thanks, you guys are the best. =] Sorry for all the questions, all the firmwares and stuff were a bit confusing since I'm new to it. I won't be getting one till like November 23rd, so when I get one, I'll be sure to get a spare memory stick and battery. Hopefully I won't get the firmware where I'll need Lumines or GTA. =\

10. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

no prob... well i shouldnt be saying that it was really shockz :)

11. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

LOL, what country to you live in khloud?

12. khloud

khloud Regular member

US. Underpaid Suckers. =P Why do you ask? And the reason it'll be till November when I get one, is because that's my brother's birthday and he said he'll get me one since I burn him all these PS2 games. And it's a lot of money for an extra battery, a 2 gig memory stick, and 256 mb memory stick with the PSP. That would suck if firmware was above 3.50 because I would need another PSP to downgrade and I already bought the stuff. xD

13. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Because if you were in the UK i would offer to convert your spare battery and ms into a Pandora for free...

People that might be able to do this in the US that i'd recommend: dEEz_nUtz, foxrider.

Ask either nicely :)

14. khloud

khloud Regular member

Haha, oh how I wish. I'm only 15 sadly, so that's out of the question. Let's just hope I get lucky and not get the 3.50 or above. Though I hear my odds of firmware when I get a PSP would be either 2.70 or 2.80, let's hope. I think I'm going to Fry's when I get a PSP.

15. tmbm

tmbm Regular member

plus p+p?

16. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

And? I'm only just 15...

@tmbm - Yes, you have to pay postage.

17. khloud

khloud Regular member

Well my parents don't like sending things to people they don't know, they're asian so, you get the point. xD They're the kind that says "YOU STUPID BOY!" and throws chopsticks at me.

18. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

well i live in the U.S, live anyware near L.A?
    "YOU STUPID BOY!" and throws chopsticks at me" LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  19. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

@khloud-If you get a used psp from like gamestop/eb games, frys, etc-it will more than likely have around 2.80 or greater fw-In which case you had better be prepared to hunt down an unpatched copy of either GTA:LCS or Lumines as well...If you want to save yourself the trouble of searching for those games, have your brother send me a battery,I would be happy to convert it for him/you-
    Unless your folks are funny about him using the US postal service also..

20. khloud

khloud Regular member

My brother's younger for me. =P I made it sound like he was 21 or something didn't I? Well should I go for a new one or a used one? I kind of wish I could ask them to check firmware of the PSP is before I get it, but I know they'll get suspicious if I play "Open up all the PSP boxes until you find the secret decoder ring." And I live in Texas.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007