1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP region free for movies???

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by darst, Jan 5, 2008.

1. darst

darst Regular member

My nephew bought a umd movie in america to play on psp in Ireland.does anyone know how, if possible to make the PSP region free...thanks in advance

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Do you have custom firmware on the PSP?

If so what custom firmware is on it?

If it is an Official firmware PSP then you will need to install custom firmware to the PSP.

3. darst

darst Regular member

he said that he does not know if it is a custom version because he got it off the internet??? he said its version 3.72 any help there ??

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It is official firmware.

He will need to install custom firmware to the PSP.

Go HERE if he has access to a 1.50 PSP or custom firmware PSP.

Go HERE if he only has access to his Official firmware PSP.

After he gets custom firmware to the PSP he can go into recovery menu (Turn off PSP hold R-Trigger button down while turning on the PSP).

Then go to configuration and enable Free UMD Region then exit recovery menu.

5. Spartan28

Spartan28 Regular member

It doesnt matter if you dont have the right region for you psp the movie will not play the umd free in the recovery does not work at all either when i fake the correct region. I had a creamic white psp region 3 and which a custom firmware it does not work. I have a Canadian movie region and will not play the movie. SO IF YOU DONT HAVE THE CORRECT REGION FOR YOUR PSP IT WILL NOT WORK cuz i tried everything with reigon 3 psp tryin to play US movies and it wont work.

6. wichozzz

wichozzz Regular member

just the games are free region, the umd video movies not??
    we need wait for some umd video emulator one of these days.!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If you rip the UMD movie to an ISO it should work with region free. Maybe it doesn't using the UMD but the ISO of it should play.

8. darst

darst Regular member

larrylje how do i do dat ????

9. wichozzz

wichozzz Regular member

but if u got a psp region 1 and umd video movie region 4, cannot make iso from movie beacuse the laser don't read the region 4 movie.
    u can create iso from region 1 on psp region 1, another country no way.!!so sad hear this..there are so many homebrew stuff , but umd video movie emulator....when????

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The region lock is within the DVD itself when you play it.

Ripping the UMD Movie to the PC is just transferring over the ISO from the UMD Bay to the PC. It isn't actually playing the movie itself so the region code check shouldn't come in effect.

@darst

You still need to install custom firmware to the PSP by using 1 of the above guides I provided and also enable "Free UMD Region" under Recovery menu.

Then go HERE and try ripping the UMD Movie to the PC.

After it rips (if it rips) to the PC transfer the ISO back over to the PSP Memory Stick in the ms0:/ISO/VIDEO folder directory.

Now place a different UMD in the UMD Bay (doesn't matter if it is a Game or Movie) You just need a UMD in the Bay. I would make sure if it is a movie UMD that you use the proper region disc that the PSP is.

Now press "select" on the PSP button bar to bring up the VSH menu. Then go down to "ISO Video Mount" and press the right D-Pad till you see the movie you want to play.

Then exit the VSH menu.

Now the movie should be listed under Video.

After your done watching the movie go to VSH menu again then "ISO Video Mount" and press the right D-Pad till it says NONE to unmount the movie ISO.

11. wichozzz

wichozzz Regular member

l got a psp region 4 and a lot of umd video movies region 1, when try to rip
    to comp. not work? ..
    but if lm put on psp region 1...work great and rip movie well.
    cannot rip any movie from another country.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@darst

All he can do is try what I have suggested.

I can't believe there would be an issue ripping an out of region UMD Disc to PC. Even though wichozzz states other wise I just don't see why the region code would be an issue when ripping the UMD to PC.

At least he would have custom firmware installed to the PSP even if it didn't work.