1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psp slim with cfw

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by vegeta86, Dec 20, 2007.

1. vegeta86

vegeta86 Member

Hey. I've been thinking of buying a PSP, but I'm not sure which one should I buy. Slim or fat.

I've read most of the guides here and found out that I can't install the 1.5 kernel addon on psp slim. Does that mean i won't be able to run games from my memory card?

Whats the difference of having the 1.5 kernel instead of the regular one that comes with the psp slim?

also if i want to install the 3.71 m33 custom firmware on a brand new psp (with no mods and that stuff) I have to use the pandora's battery method? I read a guide about how to do so, but isnt there an easier method? And if I do use the pandora's battery, can i return the battery to normal and can i do it with only my psp? I heard somewhere that i needed the fat psp to create a pandora's battery.

sorry if this has been asked before and thanks in advance

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Lets take 1 question at a time.

Yes you will be able to play PSP ISO/CSO games via memory Stick with 3.71 M33 custom firmware. The 1.50 ADD ON does not effect those types of games.

The only difference is you would get a better compatibility with homebrew/emulator applications when having the 1.50 ADD ON. But most homebrew/emulators have been ported to work on PSP SLIM's anyway.

So go HERE and read this compatibility list that tells you what will and will not work on a PSP SLIM.

Yes this is the only method you have available to you at this time.

The Magic Memory Stick can be created by using an easy installer with any type of PSP. FAT/SLIM Official firmware/custom firmware.

The easiest and most recommended way to put the Battery into service mode (Pandora Battery) is by using a custom firmware PSP. The application that is used to do this is unsigned by Sony so it will not run on a Official firmware PSP.

You have 2 other options besides using a custom firmware PSP.

1) Buy a Datel Tool Battery. This is a manufactured service battery that you can use instead of creating 1 yourself with a Battery of your own.

2) Hardmod the battery into service mode (If your battery is a compatible 1 that can do this). After you have installed the custom firmware just unmod the Battery to get it back to normal.

HERE is a guide that explains how to use an easy installer to create the magic memory Stick. Plus there is some more info on the Datel Tool Battery + hardmodding a Battery.

If you can find someone that has a Custom Firmware PSP then use this guide HERE to create the Magic memory Stick + Pandora battery.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  3. vegeta86

vegeta86 Member

Thanks for the quick reply! I had been searching about this the whole day. Now I got an idea how this works.

I read your guides you linked me to. I guess I'll have to go with the Datel Tool Battery, since I don't have any friends with custom firmware PSPs and Hardmodding is out of the question for me.

Is this Datel Battery worth it? I read somewhere on the Noobz Team website that it was a rip off and that a custom firmware PSP is still needed for creating the Magic Memory Stick.

Has anyone had good results creating the Magic Memory Stick with the Easy Installer and using the Datel Tool Battery? Because I don't want to waste 30 euros on something that might not work.

Again, thanks for the info.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

There was a point in time that you needed a CFW PSP to create the Magic Memory Stick.

But easy installers actually place the needed files onto the memory stick without running any applications that needs a custom firmware.

So your best route is use the east installer and buy the Datel tool battery.