1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP starter

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by craig2402, Feb 8, 2007.

1. craig2402

craig2402 Member

Ok I've read the forum rules etc so if I have done something wrong, please do say.

Basically I got a PSP whenever the day came out in the UK. Within a short space of time I was running ISOs, various homebrew programs, mega drive emulators - the works.

Then...my screen broke. No idea how but it did. So I haven't touched my PSP since probably Novemeber 2005. But I gave Sony a ring yesterday and I'm getting my exchange done tomorrow.

So I had a wee look about the scene this morning, and it is a totally different place than what I remember.

So how do I get started? I think I understand that all homebrew can be run on Dark Alex's custom 3.10 firmware?

Basically I know nothing now, so how do I get ps1 games and isos to run on my psp? no idea what firmware it will be, if anyone knows what firmware sony will be sending me out please say.

thanks for any help

2. crispo

crispo Member

Don't feel alienated by all this info. I must say I am a Noob too!!, although I have been following the homebrew scene for a while, I did not use homebrew on my PSP due to the (previous) inability to fully utilize some functions found in the original sony firmware updates (like some newer games not working or not working well). Also you previously had to use different programs (homebrew) to perform different tasks, and although I admire the cunning and dedication of all homebrew developers, it was little too much complicated for a mortal being like me. Everything changed for me when Dark Alex released his now famous "Open edition" (OE) firmwares, which are to put it in simple terms "hybrid" firmwares that take the updated materials from Sony as well as the parts from the original 1.5 firmware that enable homebrew (unsigned code) to run on the PSP.

My recommendation for you would be to:

1. Check the firmware on your exchange PSP: You can downgrade pretty much anything up to FW version 3.03. Please note that for some downgraders to work you need an unpatched GTA LCS UMD (the first batches of the commercial GTA LCS game)

2. If you have the possibilities to downgrade your PSP, do so to FW 1.5 by using the appropiate downgrader.

3. Upgrade your firmware to Dark Alex's OE FW, I would recommend 3.03 OE-C or 3.10 OE rev A2.

4. Enjoy!

NOTE: Since most homebrew is designed to work on 1.0 or 1.5 firmwares, some hmebre does not run on OE firmwares, however a lot of it does. I have run a lot of stuff, including emulators that run as they should.

Finally, I would like to thank all Homebrew developers for all their impressive work!!, especially to Dark Alex who has made it simpler for everyone to take the best out of our PSP's!! and also to SONY that have provided a little machine that CAN and DOES a lot of stuff as they promised (although they might want to avoid it from doing some things!! ;) )