1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~*PSP Vocabulary*~

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Achooist, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Tired of looking at that guide and not knowing that 1 word. ((Which ends up bricking your psp.)) Well if you are one of those people read this!

Playstation Portable or PSP - The thing that you bricked because you didn't read this. ((Please refer to next word if you didn't know this.))

Noob - A person that doesn't know what they are doing.....they are hated by everyone. Can also be froob,n00b,fr00b,nooblet,frooblet,other dumb synonyms,etc. A noobs only hope is the legendary Google search engine!!!!

Noobz - No not noob or noobs. Noobz is a team of psp hackers. They brought you the Lumines 3.50 downgrader and HEN

Custom Firmware or CFW - Firmware that is not made by Sony but hackers for example Dark_AleX,M33,HarleyG,And hopefully more to come! This firmware allows your psp to play homebrew with all the capabilities of the firmware you couldnt have otherwise. There are many different kinds of CFW like OE and M33

Homebrew app - An application that is placed on the PSP to do certain things like convert videos without need of a computer, become a GPS, or emulate a different system.

Open Ended or OE - CFW that was made by D_A it is probably the most used CFW out there but it is beginning to get smaller because it is no longer updated due to his retirement.

M33 - A Russian psp Hacking team. They brought you 3.51 M33 after DaX retired it's becoming the most used CFW out there.

Dark_AleX or D_A or DaX - Probably the best psp hacker known to man. He was responsible for OE CFW,HEN,and many downgraders. He is now retired from psp hacking because of many reasons. WILL HE EVER RETURN!!!

Flash0 - You can use this to change your Xmb by going into recovery and enabling the Usb to it.

Motherboard or MOBO - Not much to know here unless you want to open your psp. All you need to worry about is the HEN for it. Use THIS SITE to find out what kind you have.

Homebrew Enabler or HEN - HEN allows TA-082 Motherboards to downgrade and use homebrew.

Recovery Mode - When you have CFW you can go into this and do all sorts of neat things. You can usually access it by shutting your psp completely off ((hold power up for 5 seconds or so)) and turn it back on holding the R trigger.

Xmb - Cross Media Bar ((Sony has dubbed it Xross Media Bar)) your psp background and icons and such. It can be edited by messing with the flash0. ((Not really messing but if you really feel the urge to see the dead screen I'd say delete a few files.)) it's the main menu when the psp first loads up. XMB can be customized with personalized icon's and text. XMB customization often also include the customization of background waves, theme, battery icon, and volume bar.

Brick - Ahhhh the well known brick. This is when your psp is F to the u-n-k-e-d ^ man. Your psp will try to turn on but the little green light will just turn off then the psp will. You brick your psp by flashing something wrong when your downgrading or something. This refers to your psp being useful as......well a brick. NICE JOB!

Semi Brick - This makes your psp turn on and the whole 9 yards. Well actually about 8 because the screen is just black this can be known as the screen of death. You semi brick by doing something wrong in the Xmb. You can undo this by putting a eboot in X:/psp/game/recovery/((eboot goes here))
    X = your drive letter.

RSS - Really Simply Syndication. Essentially it is a simple way for a user to put links (called RSS Feeds) on the web so all viewers of the RSS feed can view/use the data the RSS is linked to.

MS - Memory stick duo pro. Largely made by Sony, SanDisk, and Lexar. Beware, most MS purchased from ebay may seem like a bargin, but in fact, are fake. A reasonable price for an authentic 4 gig MS is around $60. (07/17/2007)

ISO - Disk image of psp and ps1 games. (extension .iso). To run PSP ISO's on any OE, place them directly into the ISO folder in the root of your MS. PS1 ISO's CANNOT be run directly. It must be converted to an eboot.php file using POPstation.

CSO - Compressed ISO for PSP games. They will usually run at the same speed as ISO's, but sometimes can lag. CSO's can be run exactly like PSP ISO's, by placing them into the ISO folder. They are largely preferred over ISO's, because of the smaller size and no noticeable decrease in quality.

POPstation - Allows you to convert PS1 ISO's to eboot's. Usually will only work with a GUI(Graphical User Interface). However a much easier version was released, and can be found here: Autopopstaion4

UMD - Universal Media Disc. Only a super noob doesn't know that. Next time you see a noob buying one of these because they don't know about homebrew laugh at them. EXCEPTION FOR GAMES THAT DOWNGRADE!!

Homebrew - Unsigned games and applications made by hackers. Unsigned as in Sony didn't approve of the game and never digitally signed it.

Exploit - A security hole in a firmware version, usually resulting in flash access and the ability to run programs that alter the firmware kernel (i.e. make HEN and downgrader)

EBOOT - A runnable PSP app which has different types of files packaged in it (Used for i.e. games, demos, homebrew, etc.)

UmdGen - Iso compression software,Compresses Isos into Csos

Dump - A Copy of UMD files, flash memory files, etc., placed on your MS from UMD, flash memory, etc.

PSP Video 9 - Software that converts all type of movies to PSP format.

iRshell - A homebrew app that has a different XMB. It let's you do a whole bunch of stuff like control TVs,control cameras,even AC units.

PSPtube - A homebrew app that allows you to watch Youtube ((I think their are others too.)) videos on your PSP without putting the video on your computer.

Thanks to blackvamp, mrmcman,PeaInAPod,MetalGeat, and CKhaleel.

Adding more later!
    If you post a definition and it's good I'll put it here and give you credit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Haha, you crack me up, Achooist! Good job.

Well, here are some I think you've missed:

XMB - Cross Menu Bar, it's the main menu when the psp first loads up. XMB can be customized with personalized icon's and text. XMB customization often also include the customization of background waves, theme, battery icon, and volume bar.

MS - Memory stick duo pro. Largely made by Sony, SanDisk, and Lexar. Beware, most MS purchased from ebay may seem like a bargin, but in fact, are fake. A reasonable price for an authentic 4 gig MS is around $60. (07/17/2007)

ISO - Disk image of psp and ps1 games. (extension .iso). To run PSP ISO's on any OE, place them directly into the ISO folder in the root of your MS. PS1 ISO's CANNOT be run directly. It must be converted to an eboot.php file using POPstation.

CSO - Compressed ISO for PSP games. They will usually run at the same speed as ISO's, but sometimes can lag. CSO's can be run exactly like PSP ISO's, by placing them into the ISO folder. They are largely prefered over ISO's, because of the smaller size and no noticible decrease in quality.

POPstation - Allows you to convert PS1 ISO's to eboot's. Usually will only work with a GUI(Graphical User Interface). However a much easier version was released, and can be found here: Autopopstaion4

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  3. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

blackvamp, u beat me to it!
    anyway, sony has even dubbed Cross Media Bar to Xross Media Bar. thats where X comes into play. everything else is good tho.

UMD: Universal Media Disc. Only a super noob doesnt know that.

Homebrew: Unsigned games and applications made by hackers. Unsigned as in Sony didnt approve of the game and never digitally signed it.

Exploit: A security hole in a firmware version, usually resulting in flash access and the ability to run programs that alter the firmware kernel (i.e. make HEN and downgrader)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  4. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Thanks ya I left out the obvious ones. I have no idea how I forgot to put UMD and homebrew and ISO and CSO..... I was tired though lol

Reminder never make a post at 9:30 again

5. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

I reall could have used this 6 months ago, nice guide though!

6. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

Oh yeah, Yay Senior Member! Lol, I know, I know

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

RSS = Really Simply Syndication. Essentially it is a simple way for a user to put links (called RSS Feeds) on the web so all viewers of the RSS feed can view/use the data the RSS is linked to.

8. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

EBOOT-A runnable PSP app which has different types of files packaged in it/ (Used for i.e. games, demos, homebrew, etc.)

9. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Thanks.

If anybody has any other just post them and if there good I'll put them up!

10. MetalGeat

MetalGeat Regular member

UmdGen, Iso compression software

11. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Dump-A Copy of UMD files, flash memory files, etc., placed on your MS from UMD, flash memory, etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  12. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

You got a mistake that will cause confusion in there: It says Noobz: The team that brought you the 3.51 downgrader. It should be 3.50.

13. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Nice catch.

I could see some noob banging his head on his computer because he thought a 3.51 downgrader came out hahaha.

Hope this is helping people.

14. Achooist

Achooist Regular member

Just added a few more,

They aren't perfect but you guys can help. =]

Maybe this can get stickied. I'm sure it would help many.