1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP vs PS2...

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by DynatyxXx, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Yeh, I did use the search function.
    I'm having a hard time on deciding what to take... I'm an ex-xbox (hardmodded) user and well after these few years, games freeze after ~5mins... I wouldn't buy any nextgens because:
    1. no money.
    2. no hdtv.
    3. not enough modding possibilites.

Well, back to topic... I don't have a great TV and even with my xbox graphics are choppy, which is somehow strange as they weren't 1 year ago, probably because I didn't use it for a long time and didn't really clean it or maybe the TV sucks too hard. Uhm... I'm a great fan of tekken, resident evil, dmc, etc... and I'd love to enjoy those games. Sounds like going for the PS2, eigh?
    The PSP also has hot titles like silent hill and I don't mind playing on such a small screen as long as its fun! Plus, I get to play anywhere and at night it could be more comfortable than the ps2... I do care about game fun ratio and longetivity, so... I don't know, perhaps someone who owns both, could help me make my choice... also, what would be easier to mod and maybe cheaper... should I even buy any of those :\ I'm really low on budget and I can't really afford any mistakes and don't tell me to go test both, as I don't have this posibility :(

2. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

I have a PS2 and PSP and I must say I love my PSP because:

1) It is easier to download games and put them on your PSP instead of buying the games.
    2) You can watch movies which you can download.
    3) You can also listen to music which you can also download.
    4) You can surf the web and use Internet MSN Messenger.
    5) There are so many homebrew applications as in PSPTube (watch YouTube videos on your PSP) and MUCH more homebrew!
    6) You can play a game against another person next to you using Ad Hoc or play against someone else in the whole world that has the same game as you!
    7) Nice graphics!
    8) Very personal.

The PS2 is also cool, though. But:

1) It is harder to insert downloaded games in the PS2.
    2) Less personal.
    3) Can't watch movies except DVDs.
    4) Can't surf the web.

But graphics are better than the PSP (obviously).

In conclusion, I recommend the PSP. You'll love it, especially if you stay up-to-date with the latest homebrew applications, how to download games and much more!

3. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Very well written :) Could you also tell me if games are short and if a lot of story is cut-out?

4. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Thanks!

Usually, games that are available for PS2 and PSP are the same. Same story...

But, on the PSP, you will have the ability to play against a friend next to you or on the web. You can do that on the PS2 as well but you have to buy the adapter and you have to pay...
    For the PSP, all you need is a router which most houses that have internet have.

The only better thing in the PS2 in games is that graphics are a little better than the PSP.

I hope you buy a PSP! If you do, you can PM and I can send you all the information about how to download games, homebrew and where to find it and more!

But, really, there isn't a bigger difference in the graphics between the PS2 and the PSP.

However, if you are considering buying a PS3, then it's a whole other story!

5. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Oh yeah, don't even consider buying a DS! :p

6. xSModder

xSModder Member

Seriously-
    The PSP is a piece of work. I really love the damn thing and the functionality of it. But it really just doesn't replace console love. The only thing I can say is kind of bad is the fact that if you don't have like a huge memory stick say, 2gigs or 4gigs, then you'll be kind of running low on space, what with the games and shit.

I really love my FAT PS2 so much. It's gone through a lot. If you have a spare Hard Drive and make your own magickey and stuff it will easily allow you to never use but a single PS1 disc to play all your PS2 games with a HDD.
    Slim PS2s are a bit harder.

7. JahDrop

JahDrop Guest

Yes I choose psp... I don't need to explain why because btfan explained it all...I also just like using it play online with people across the world.

8. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Really really thank you all very much for your replies! I will buy a PSP as soon as I will have the money :S I guess the only problem left is that Non-Slim PSPs are kinda hard to find these days...

9. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

Yup. However, there are two solutions to your problem:

1) Find a Fat PSP on eBay for cheap.
    2) Buy a PSP 2000 (PSP Slim) and install the latest version (versions are called firmwares) which is 3.71 M33. Which means, when you get your PSP Slim, you will most likely have version 3.60, which is Sony's official firmware. Then, you should upgrade to 3.60 M33 or the latest 3.71 M33. On 3.71 M33, you can play ISOs (downloaded games), which you cannot do on any Sony official firmware. So, the PSP Slim will be as homebrew capable as the fat PSP.

I recommend number 2, however, you should wait a month or so until you get your PSP Slim. If you're not getting the PSP Slim, then you can buy the fat PSP right away if you want, but wait a little with the PSP Slim until it becomes as homebrew capable as the fat PSP.

10. kvsingh

kvsingh Member

if you get ps2 chipped it will cost around £75, while psp downgrade is just free.

11. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

So you're saying it doesn't really matter what PSP version I get? And I'm not sure, but an upgrade/downgrade is only possible with a Pandora's Battery on the slim, right?

12. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

No, I meant if you buy a PSP Slim, it comes with version 3.60. You will have to upgrade using Pandora's Battry to 3.60 M33 and then upgrade to 3.71 M33 (you do not need Pandora's Battery to upgrade to any version on the PSP slim once you're on 3.60 M33 or any M33 version).

You can only play homebrew and downloaded games on any M33 version on the PSP Slim. You cannot play homebrew or downloaded games on an official Sony firmware.

13. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Well, ffs, everything's getting too expensive, so I can't afford getting them, as I do not know anyone with a pandora's battery

14. BTFan

BTFan Regular member

PSP Slims are the same price as Fat PSPs'. You can:

1)Buy a Pandora's Battery for cheap on eBay.
    2)You can see my thread for help: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/566362#3430438

15. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

I didn't read the other posts, but I think the PSP is better because it can play similar games to PS2 and has a multimedia feature.