1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP vs PSP Slim - Thread to discuss your opinions

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by bboy1, Sep 18, 2007.

1. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

I got a new PSP less than a month ago and it's got 3.52 m33-4 and I was gonna ignore the PSP slim since I thought it wouldn't be able to run homebrew. But now that it can it's really tempting...just don't know if it's really worth it. Are all ISOs compatible with the 3.60m33? Is it as good/stable as 3.52 m33-4?

It's annoying cause a few weeks ago the PSP looked like an up to date machine but as soon as the slim came out it made the original PSP look outdated even though it isn't really. So it feels like I have an outdated PSP whenever I hold it in my hands....this is how Sony brainwashes ppl......and it's working...cause I want a PSP Slim now...

What are everyones thoughts? Do you still prefer the original or the Slim?

2. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

i consider the slim nothing but a crappy marketing ploy, just like slim ps2 was. i prefer the original. the slim really doesn't offer anything except for a minor change of reduced size and a TV out that nobody can use unless they've got an Progressive scan HDTV and the cables..

so i stick by my FAT lil handheld.

3. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Well said. The only big upgrade is the TV-out option, but for a portable device--I find it a little unnecessary. So that makes the score, what...
    Fat 2
    Slim 1
    ?

4. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

im gonna have to give my votes to the "fat". its not that fat. like smurff said, nothing new same old same old. the slim feels like a knockoff its too light. it just doesnt feel as good while holding. and sony added some unecsary thing like the umd door, that was just to add something new to call it a "new psp".

fat 3
    slim 1 :D lol

5. Hacker06

Hacker06 Guest

i got a slim and my cousin has a fat when he felt it for the first time hes like no way dude, this has to be plastic

6. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Do you prefer Slim but Hacker?

7. acidy

acidy Regular member

The advantage of the PSP slim over the normal PSP is that it is slimmer and is a little lighter :)
    And yeah, it also has a TV output :)
    I find it unnecessary for a portable device to have that :)
    And also, I don't have any complains with the current weight and size of my PSP as it fits in my pocket well :) (I wear baggy pants :p)

So, I prefer the PSP over the PSP slim as currently you can downgrade the firmware and unlock it's true potential :)

8. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

LOL.I don't think the PSP FAT is even a slightest bit heavy.I think the PSP slim is totally a waste of money.Oh so it's looks a bit nicer and has a new feature...The PSP FAT is simply the best and original.No PSP FAT, then there wouldn't be PSP Slim.If they created a PSP with the model of a Slim FIRST then that means that would be original...Do i make sense??All I'm saying is NO PSP FAT THEN THERE'S NO PSP SLIM!

Oh and acidy, I love LP aswell :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  9. acidy

acidy Regular member

@ kikzm33z
    lolz :p
    Yeps :)
    Besides, the PSP slim cannot run 1.50 kernel, so no 1.50 homebrews on it :(
    That makes the PSP fat (which is not at all fat :p) better than the PSP slim anyday :D

"heehee :p
    LP rulez :)
    I write lyrics of their songs in class when I get bored (or to be precise, when the teacher bores us :p) xD"

10. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

Heh, LOL.So...What's your fave song XD.Mine is In The End :O

A bit off-toppicy but I wanna know LOL.

11. truepaki

truepaki Regular member

i prefer my fat1.da skinny ones always end up crap...for example slim ps2

12. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

Lets take a look at Sony's "marketing"

PSP Slim: $199 (CDN)
    PSP Fat: $169 (CDN)

The PSP Fat took a #30 price drop. Not really bad, now it is in the DS Lite range of things.

PSP Slim, however, took the price of the old PSP. Interesting move, when you consider it's only major upgrade is TV out, which requires a cable I don't even think comes with it. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Now, look at it. You are paying an extra $30 for a capability (many people won't even use anyway) for something that will end up costing you more in the end, when you could have something perhaps even better than the Slim (full 1.50 kernel homebrew) for less. Thank you Sony, for dropping the price of the PSP.

13. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

like kikzm33z said, the psp fat isnt the slightest bit heavy! and the psp slim just feels way too light. its not even an advantage. it feels like some random knockoff. and the tv out is the one new feature and even that could have beendone on the old psp i beleive. and LeadBaron amde good points too. the only really good thing is the easy tv out built in. and sony isnt even including the main new thing with the console so to use it i beleive you'd pay about 219 plus tax.

14. yoyo23

yoyo23 Regular member

my fat psp broke completly no way to revive so im planning on buy a slim one because it has a little extra i mean sure add $40 more but u get a good game family umd and a gig thats a lot more then $40 at the store by it self ur acting like its a bad thing that it has a extra feture or two i think people who dont have psp's sould get the slim one

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  15. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

u pay 40 extra dollars just to get a lighter version of the psp that feels like plastic. i ONLY LOVE one thing about the slim and other ppl think im weird for it. ITS GLASSY ALL AROUND :O i just love that.if i could get my psp fat like that itd be perfect.

16. OcelotRev

OcelotRev Member

dude i like the fat and i saw the slim and i like the white one but id rather just get a white fat. and with the being able to connect to the TV, thing. you can just get an app for the psp FAT and do that the having to buy the SLim

Fat:4
    SLim:1 Loser

17. bboy1

bboy1 Regular member

Slim: 1 Loser??

Does that mean I'm a loser? I'm sorta neutral on the matter still. They both have their goods and bads.

18. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

^^I think he was pointimg out that the Slim was the loser.
    But, seriously, if someone offered to buy me a slim, I'd take it over the fat seeing how I already have one. It's just, after so long, Sony should have just made an entirely new console, instead of an updated version.

19. cactoos

cactoos Member

Another advantage the slim has over the fat is double the RAM, but my vote goes to the fat because slim's M33 doesn't support the 1.5 kernal which sucks...

20. kikzm33z

kikzm33z Regular member

Just saying that nobody should say"3.71M33 doesn't have 1.5 kernel aswell..."but it will have it :).Not for slim though.Sorry to all the Slim users that wants to play emulators with 3.71m33