1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP will not turn on!

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Jeebiss, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

Alright, I lost my charger a month ago.
    I bought a new charger from drugmart, it is a variable charger with multiple heads on it.
    I plugged it into my psp, turned it to 4.5v (PSP is 5v) and the PSP wont turn on.

It is getting power, the 2 metal tabs under the power adapter plug are getting electricity to them, meaning the PSP has power.

No lights turn on

Any ideas?

2. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Sony made it so you can only use a charger made specifically for the PSP; trust me, I've tested.

If worse comes to worse, PSP battery chargers (where you have to take the battery out) are going for darn near dirt cheap; at least a lot less than the $30.00(USA) for a new official charger.

3. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

God damned, so I have to use a sony specific charger?

4. Fran989

Fran989 Member

there is a way to hack the psp battery, and use triple a batteries on it, but i stricly DON'T recomend this, i would have to go with XEnigmaX and say you have to buy the official SONY PSP CHARGER :(

5. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

Yeah, just another way for them to make more money =|

You could also get a third party battery with a longer life span, but if it explodes, sony will not cover it

6. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

How does Sony know what kind of charger I'm using?

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Try going to gamestop and asking them if you could borrow their used PSP charger in the store to see if yours charges. If it does, than buy a charger from them. Im sure they would let you try it out as long as you are in front of them.

8. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

Ionno, I'm just going by what I have read/heard, I have never tested it myself

9. zengjian

zengjian Regular member

chances are, you switched the polarity and blew a fuse, that's why when its pluged in, it still doesnt turn on.

one way to solve this is to buy an external battery charger and charge your battery like that from now on. (In any case, try this method first because if you cant run from a battery, then i dont know what happened.)

another way is to open your psp and just solder a wire to bridge the gap where the fuse went bye bye.

if you choose the second method, i could tell you where the fuse is. ^_^