1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP with v1.0 firmware

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by outspaced, Apr 6, 2007.

1. outspaced

outspaced Member

<outspaced crawls out from under a stone...>

I've got an original japanese model PSP1000 (motherboard IC6001) with firmware 1.0 - I never bothered to update the firmware as I was happy with the emulators and homebrew, especially PSPkick, but I stopped using it completely over a year ago as I've been too busy with other stuff, and the only PSP game I really want is Gran Turismo which has still not appeared...

Obviously, my interested in the PSP has risen again since I discovered I should now be able to play GT in its PSX incarnation, using darkalex's OE firmware. I've been reading up on this for a couple of weeks now and I'm ready to try it out, but before I rush in and potentially brick my PSP, my questions is - are there any reasons why I should not upgrade? (e.g. custom firmware not compatible with this motherboard)

Thanks,
    outspaced.

2. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

as far as i know, you need 1.50 sony to install any OE from DAX...it wont install from any other fw; above or below 1.50....

im playing psx gran tourismo right now..lol great minds great minds....

3. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

Don't original 1.0fw PSP's sell for lots of money ?

Or is that not the case anymore ?

4. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

put it this way, i wouldn't sell my psp for anything

5. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

I would happily sell a 1.0 for lots of cash if I could, then just buy a cheap 2.71 or similar and downgrade it.

6. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

upgrade to sony oficial firmware 1.5,and then use hexitnow winstaller for the custom firmware
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/460892

7. outspaced

outspaced Member

Thanks for your responses everyone, I appreciate the help.

@ggbarnum - why would it sell for lots of money? If it would be of use to any homebrew developers I would consider selling it but I thought that as pretty much everything they do now runs on 1.5, there wouldn't be any need for a PSP with 1.0 firmware?

@gasconade - do you know if there is any way of copying save games from a PS1 memory card to use with my GT iso image / eboot?

@smlvfx - thanks for the link to winstaller, that looks much easier than the manual OE install method, I'm downloading it now.

Thanks again,
    outspaced.

8. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Because 1.00 PSPs don't exist on the markets anymore. And it costs a lot of money to buy a 1.00 PSP now off ebay etc. Unless you bought it when it first came out....

9. outspaced

outspaced Member

Yes I got it as a gift, very close to the japanese release. I'm in UK so it was imported from Lik-sang (R.I.P - DAMN YOU SONY!!!!). Roughly how much are we talking about anyway? I mean, if its going to sell for something ridiculous like £300 of course I would sell it and buy one to downgrade.

Apart from possibly selling it at an inflated price on ebay, there isn't really any compelling reason against me upgrading, and I've also read some comments about the original Sharp LCD being better quality than the later Samsung screens so at the moment it looks like I would be better off sticking with it.

cheers.

10. ggbarnum

ggbarnum Regular member

The thing about the different screens is bunkum, there is no discernable difference.

11. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

No point selling as people can just downgrade their psps to 1.00 though. So it won't sell much. But it is one of the first psp made so i suggest you to keep it.

12. outspaced

outspaced Member

Well that's decided it. I'm going to do it now - I'll let you know how I get on. GT here I come!

Again, thanks to everyone for your help,
    outspaced

13. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Don't sweat it and good luck man.

14. outspaced

outspaced Member

Yay! it worked no problem.

One last question - do I now need to apply the 3.10 OE- revA2 update and the plugin to load any POPS on 3.10 or are these included with the winstaller?

Finally, in response to my own question earlier about copying saves from my old memory cards, I've found there are a few methods - there's some diagrams to create a parallel port input and use the memory card CS program, I could buy a dexdrive, or I could buy an action replay for use with my PS2.