1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP won't read my UMD

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by xyzeal, Aug 16, 2007.

1. xyzeal

xyzeal Guest

One day I went to play a new game on my PSP and it wouldn't play. My old games don't play either. The PSP has never been abused. When I put the UMD in I hear the PSP trying to read the UMD (buzzing lazer sound) then some knocking (that you can feel when holding the PSP). It goes through this cycle again and again. When I open the UMD slot I can see the lazer shooting a red light.

Can someone please help me fix this problem. My warranty is done and I will be traveling soon (the PSP is my savior on trips).

2. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

3. xyzeal

xyzeal Guest

I have read other forums and it does seem like the lazer is broken. I would like to figure out if it is broken before I replace it. By the way, I barely use my PSP, I don't know how anything on the PSP could break. I have a hard time believing the PSP broke by sitting on a shelf.

4. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

5. kingham91

kingham91 Member

Hey, had the same problem here. I sent a letter to the BBB complaining about my broken psp. In like 4 weeks I got a letter form sony telling me to call them. I called the guy today and he said he would replace my psp. It will not get replaced if you opened it up. If you dont get a letter from sony, then try to open it up. Just try it out though. Its a problem in the main cpu. It would have to be replaced or repaired.

6. xyzeal

xyzeal Guest

Nope. Didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Has this happened to anyone else?

7. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

check this tread forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/373279

8. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

9. laptopwiz

laptopwiz Member

I have a little more interesting problem. I bought a psp off ebay about 6 months ago. When it came it read discs for about an hour before it quit reading discs altogether. Retiring it for a while i bought a new psp and played it for a while, until recently when I accidentally bricked the new psp. So what I did is took the motherboard out of the one psp and placed it in the other. So now in theory I have a fully working psp. When I turned on the psp it worked great for about an hour then it died again and wont read the discs. any help would be appreciated. thx

10. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

laptopwiz you have to start ur own thread

11. h117

h117 Member

this happened to me with ratchet and clank and socom. What I did was take the umd casing off and clean the disk. It worked perfectly after that, remember to open the casing carefully or else you will have to hold the casing together when you put it in.