1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP won't update to 4.51

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by jerrico, Jan 1, 2008.

1. jerrico

jerrico Member

I have a PSP that is about a year old and it won't update to 4.51 today when I bought a new game, it says there is an error (DADADADA) I believe.

Can someone please help me with this? I thought it was the game itself so I took it back to the store and replaced it, it's still doing the same thing. I currently have version 4.40 (I believe).

It will play any other game that I have that was purchased last year, but "The Simpsons" won't play on it, which just came out.

Any help is appreciated.

2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

I am sure you meant 3.51 as there is no such thing as the firmware you described...The most recent being 3.80..

In any event, that error you are getting (DADADADA) means that you must have custom firmware installed on your psp-(3.40OE-A perhaps?)
    If you have custom firmware on there, it wont allow you to run updates from UMD's or from the network update icon in the menu. In order to play games that require a higher version of firmware, you need to manually install a higher version firmware...

Before you do anything though, check your psp software version by going into the system settings option in the psp menu. Post back with the EXACT version number..

3. jerrico

jerrico Member

Thank you, you are correct that the version I have is 3.40 OE-A.

Sorry about that, I double check what it's trying to update to, it's 3.51 (I got the numbers confused last time).

If you can guide me to figure out how to update it without getting this error, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

4. aftrdrawn

aftrdrawn Regular member

well i recommend 3.71 m33 will be better version but first u need to update it to 3.52 m33. i will give u guide how to do that. when u install 3.52 m33 post back here and i will or dEEz_Nuttz will tell u further how to upgrade it 3.71 m33. ok so lets start. first of all u need to download the 3.52 m33 creator here. http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1210
    then download 3.52 m33 official firmware here.http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1209
    download the 1.50 firmware here. http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-1.50-File-(EBOOT)-North-America-PSP/pg/12/fid/163/catid/163
    ok now i will give u a best guide how to update from 3.40 oea to 3.52 m33.rename the official 3.52 firmware to 352.PBP and 1.50 firmware to 150.PBP

Updating to 3.52 M33 from any OE or SE custom Firmware
    1. Navigate to X:/PSP/GAME150/ and place the M33CREATOR inside PSP/GAME150, then move the 150.PBP and 351.PBP/352.PBP into PSP/GAME/M33CREATOR

3. Exit USB mode, and start the M33CREATOR.

5. Afterwards you should get a new icon under GAME called "3.52 M33UPDATE

6. Making sure you have over 75% batery and the AC adapter pluged in, start the update.
    7. Press X to Agree and your on your way.

8. Leave your PSP alone untill pormpted, enjoy 352 M33

5. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

1st, you will need the official 1.50 and 3.52 sony eboots, which are found here;

Now that you have both of them, put them in one folder on your desktop and rename the 1.50 eboot to 150.pbp and the 3.52 eboot to 352.pbp-Once renamed, you will place those files on your memory stick into the GAME150 folder.

Now get the 3.52M33 installer from here;3.52M33 INSTALLER-unzip it and place the proper files as directed in the 'readme' file onto your memory stick (in the GAME150 folder)
    Once you get your files in order, go ahead and run the program from the game icon in your psp's menu-

After it dumps the files, go back to your xmb and back to the game section of the menu and go to memstick, there will be a new icon, "3.52M33 update" run it and wait for your psp to finish installing it. when it is done, you will have to manually reboot your psp.

Now that you have 3.52M33, you will want to update it to the latest patch of 3.52M33, which is 3.52M33-4(the most stable one), and that is found HERE

Place that in your game150 folder in your psp and run it.If all went well, you should have 3.52M33-4, from there you will want to update to the latest offering of custom firmware, which is 3.71M33-4.

The guide for updating from 3.52M33-4 to 3.71M33-4 is found HERE

You will have to follow the steps in that order, it wont allow you to update your 3.40OE to 3.71M33 directly, which is why I included the first portion of the install...On that guide I linked to, it has basically the same instructions for updating from the version you have to 3.71M33-4..I just wanted to be sure you updated in order, and didn't try to just jump to 3.71M33 because it wont work.

Good luck!

I must have walked away from the computer or something-

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. jerrico

jerrico Member

Where do I put this file? I've tried several different places but I can't locate anything new when I try to save it to my PSP.
    I've never done this before so I'm going to need a little more help.

Thanks

7. jerrico

jerrico Member

My PSP isn't showing a GAME150 folder, if I need to create it, where do I place it? I tried creating one, but my PSP isn't showing up, I downloaded the files and placed them on my PSP, but I can't detect them anywhere.
    Is there somewhere else I need to put it? The only thing I show is the games that are saved on my memory stick on my saved data utility.

These downloads also show they are corrupted when I put them on my saved data area (which is the only place I can view them).

What do I do?

8. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

ahh, You will to use the 'format memory stick' function in the psp's system settings menu-a GAME150 folder will then be created for you. I would backup any gamesaves or anything else you dont want to lose as formatting will erase all data on your memory stick. Once you format. then place those files into the GAME150 folder.

9. jerrico

jerrico Member

Ah, after reading some of the other threads, I noticed that my 2GB memory stick is a fake one, so I need to use the original it came with (I knew the price on this stick was a little too inexpensive).

I will try this again, will let you know if I run into any further problems.

Thanks so much for the help.

10. jerrico

jerrico Member

Ah, looks like I'm going to need to replace my memory stick, I'm only using the one it came with so I need an authentic one.. ugh. But now that I figured out the problem it should be easy to install.

I appreciate your help and will document this once I get a real stick.

11. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

I know that sucks, I grabbed one off of eBay a couple of years ago thinking I was getting a good deal too-And it turned out to be fake. The gamesaves would end up corrupt, and the ISO games would sometimes show up in the menu and sometimes not...It was a mess!

Your best bet is to get one from a retailer-I dont know if you are in the states or not, but they go on sale pretty frequently at either Circuit City, or Best Buy..You can get a 4GB for around $40-$50 when they are on sale.

12. jerrico

jerrico Member

The funny thing is, I got mine off of E-Bay too, sometime last year and just found out today it's a fake, it saves games just fine, upgrades were fine (until I got the Simpsons yesterday). Yes, I live in the States, and found a good price for 50 dollars at GameStop (I reside in Michigan).

Now I just need to get paid, go there, get the card and download the files properly. I'm usually pretty good at installing software, so it should be relativly easy, just a little time consuming.

I appreciate all the help you have given me, otherwise I would have gone to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they probably would be scratching their heads as to what to do too.. but that saves me a trip and probably a little money (if they charge anything to get done).

So thank you :)

13. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

You are welcome-Thats what we are here for...

I dont think geek squad would much help to you anyway-I doubt they dabble in psp hacking at all. At least its probably not a service they offer at the store..
    You may get the "Come-back-after-we-close-after-hours-under-the-table-deal" but even thats doubtful-I would stick to the forums here for getting the help you need..

You do also realize that custom firmware allows playing psp games from the memory stick as well right? And that you can play emulators for NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, etc...etc..etc..
    You already have 3.40OE-A ,granted its an older version but once you get situated with your memory stick and updated to 3.71M33-4, the world is your oyster.

14. jerrico

jerrico Member

I see now that I will get more help here than in the store and it's much easier access then to waste gas money.. hehe.

Yes, I had it hacked before, but I could only play downloaded games with it, not ones that I bought from the store. Once I put an actual game inside it, it was unhacked again. A friend of mine did it for me and took him all night, but I want to be able to play the games that I own and not just stuff I download, is this still possible with the information you have given me?

15. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Yes, you will still be able to play legit UMD games from the store, as well as ill-gotten games from the internet. I have custom firmware, and really only use mine for playing old super mario games-and watching movies...

16. jerrico

jerrico Member

nice.. seems like I came to the right place (I just surfed the internet and found this site). I appreciate the very quick response time also. That's very much appreciated.

Hope to get a card tomorrow (when I get paid) so I will let you know if I run into any difficulties.

Thanks for helping us newbies out :)

17. jerrico

jerrico Member

Ugh, all the stores around here are out of memory sticks, so I'll have to order one from the GameStop online store.. could take a couple of days to get.. but I'll eventually be able to get this done :)

18. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Yeah that sucks-How much are they charging? I looked on Best Buy's website, and they have their 4GB going for $59.99-It seems that the prices are higher than usual there and at circuit city right now.

19. jerrico

jerrico Member

Lol.. I just did the same thing, and I don't know if they have any at the actual store or not by me, they are high in price, but I'm willing to pay it. Always seems like I need something for electronic equipment.
    Best Buy is cheaper than what GameStop wants for shipping if I have to go that route, so I might have to do that, I've been searching around online for this all day and nobody has any in stock, so it's probably a bad time to get one since it's after Christmas.

At this rate it might not be until a couple of weeks until I find one. But I'm going tonight when my boyfriend gets home from work, so hope to find something at Best Buy, if not, then it's going to have to wait until they ship it to me :(

But I promised him I will get this taken care of (he really wants to play that game badly.. haha).

I would rather pay a hefty price and get a genuine stick rather than find out it's "unknown" to my PSP and spend money on something that doesn't even work.. so sometimes you have to pay the price to get something that will work for what you want, unfortunatly, that's the way the world works.

20. jerrico

jerrico Member

ok, I have an offical memory stick now, I got as far as this:
    5 - Go to Games/Memory Stick on your PSP, and execute "3.52 M33 CREATOR". Once finished, it will go back to the XMB.

When I execute the program it says "The game could not be started. (80020148)

I did everything as instructed, what should I do next?