1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PStwo in a car running from HDD

Discussion in 'PS2' started by parf, May 3, 2007.

1. parf

parf Member

Hi Everyone,

I know this has probably been covered at some point but i couldnt find the answers by searching.

I am putting my slim PS2 into my car and want to run it from a external usb hard drive. I have a 2.5" (laptop) 80GB Hitachi hard drive in a usb enclosure, firstly will this work?

Secondly I have chipped the PS2 and it is in the boot of the car so I dont want to keep getting in and out of the car to change games which is why I have a HDD.

What i need to know is that if I use USBExtreme/USBAdvance to load my HDD from my PC with games and then connect the external hard drive to the PS2 when i turn the PS2 on from a switch in the car will it automatically load HDadvance\HDloader and give me a list of the games on the hard drive. I dont want to use any swap discs but I dont mind leaving a disc in the ps2 drive as long as i can boot and choose games from the hard drive on the screen in the front of the car without getting in and out to swap discs over.

Thanks

2. lanepwnu

lanepwnu Regular member

this has been covered you need usb advance to put the usb external device on. and two why not put all games in the car... and three why are you putting a ps2 in your car....

3. parf

parf Member

Do you know where so i can have a look.

I can put all the games in the car but stopping on the motorway to swap games over isnt a good idea.

Because a xbox power supply is too complicated to build and an inverter causes a lot of noise

4. steimy

steimy Active member

i am not sure it will work like you want it to. Only one chip out there (crystal Chip V2.0) has in game reset right now. Meaning that you can press a series of buttons and it will go back to the main menu so you can load USB Advanced and your nest game without having to reset the console. PLus USB drives do not have a great reputation for game compatibility from a hard drive. And you need to make sure the hard drive is compatible.

I have a set up in my car that i can put in and out, but nothing is installed in the car itself.
    (two 7.2" LCD monitors with sound, and power supply that plugs into a cig. lighter in the car.)

You would have been better off with an older fat model with an internal hard drive and a chip that can run it like the one mentioned above. It could then be installed, you can move from game to game on the hard drive with no disc needed, you would have faster loading times then a disc or USB and more game compatibility. PLus no heat issues like the slimline.

If you have a V12 or V13 this is still possible with an HD Combo case.

5. parf

parf Member

Thanks for the info, the reason im not using the original PS2 is the same as the xbox where it has a switchable power supply and they are buggers to put 12v into.

So if I use a HD combo with a slim one it will allow me to have the same fuctionallity as the original PS2 and i will achieve what i want.

6. parf

parf Member

Saying that if i needed to restart the ps2 i could just turn it off and back on as long as it will boot to the hard drive games list each time its restarted.