1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSTwo: Magic Switch vs Slimtool

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by fee, Jan 26, 2005.

1. fee

fee Member

I'd like to get my PSTwo running with the SM disks but I'm having trouble finding a decent set of sensor covers.

There is the Magic Switch, of which there are 2 types:
    THIS: http://swapmagic3.com/Magic_Switch.htm
    and
    THIS: http://www.ps2fliptop.net/buy_magic_switch.htm
    but it seems as though you'd have to break off the tab to close the PSTwo.

A nice alternative I found was the Slimtool found at http://www.slimtool.com/
    which doesn't need you to break off anything. The only problem is that I could only find it on GBR-based sites.

1. Which (if any of these) should I use?
    2. Where can I order it for a reasonable price within Canada?

Thanks

2. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

Two words. tape mod.

3. fee

fee Member

Well it's for myself and a couple of friends of mine... I don't feel like leaving anything to chance nor do I want to mess with the warranty sticker, but I might consider it if these stupid covers are too much of a headache.

4. dfaulting

dfaulting Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  5. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

I did the tape mod 5 weeks ago. I can still close the lid. Warranty sticker is fine :) and its free.

Sony was dumb in placing the sticker. take out the screws gently pry the top lid forward with your fingers and open the thing up like a book. place tape on the back sensor and the front sensor then close it like a book. enjoy :)

did mine and my cousins. takes 2 min

6. Ednasaunt

Ednasaunt Member

tried that method, looked ugly with tape all over the place, i use the slimtool now, its invisible and i didnt have to unscrew anything to slot it in. i got mine from http://www.slimtool.co.uk

7. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

Umm u cant see the tape. its inside.

you open the slim using the warranty sticker as a hinge.

warranty intact mod invisable. and free.

8. DemonKyo

DemonKyo Guest

Haven't seen the Slim Tool kit yet, got a Magic Switch kit and here's what I've managed to figure out, according to our well-known tutorial:
    http://www.swapmagic3.com/Magic_Switch.htm

Tool C: Breaking it in order to close the lid - once the lid closes, tool A comes out and tool B pops the disk break loose. Won't make a difference breaking tool C.

Tools A and B: Decided to cut some thin tape straps and secure both tools a bit more, especially B, because somehow the glue with it wasn't fixating it enough.

Decided to leave to lid always opened, the console is covered with a silk cloth because they're lighter, this way keep dust away - while in use, has the advantage of cooling down the console. The whole set becomes more fragile.

So far, I'm very very pleased with the setup as it is, might try the fliptop cover, seems to be the most practical hack if it connects with all sensors (bearing in mind that it's necessary to open the console, which is something I'd like to avoid doing). Might try it, if this one fails eventually. But it doesn't look like it. :)

9. DemonKyo

DemonKyo Guest

The cloth is only applied for cover when not using the console, obviously. :p

10. Ednasaunt

Ednasaunt Member

http://www.slimtool.co.uk supplies the slimtool with or wiithout swap magic v3.3 you can buy the slimtool on its own as well.
    i found it better to use than the magic switch, as not having to unscrew your console is a bonus

11. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

Actually timewise, unscrewing your console and putting 2 tiny pieces of tape on the switches and closing back up takes about 5 minutes if you bothered to look up where the switches are located. But, if you didn't, it's not rocket science to figure out where they are.

As opposed to worrying about if an online store is reliable or not, or how much it costs, or if you want to wait 5-7 days to get it.

Eh, just my two cents on the good ole trusty tape mod :)

12. jspencer

jspencer Member

lol, people are selling magic switch and calling it slimtool.. i think that is evidence itself what tool is the best.

13. Ednasaunt

Ednasaunt Member

i agree, the slimtool is better than the magic switch.
    and better made, better quality. somepeople might like to unscrew thier console and use the warranty sticker as a hinge, but i slotted the slimtool in under five minutes, and it works like a dream.

14. waf666

waf666 Member

15. bl1nd101

bl1nd101 Member

i dont get how u do tool C. Its confusing.

16. Stunt2061

Stunt2061 Regular member

yah it looks confusing but it seems easy?...for those of u who have already done it...can u please tells us some precautions on how to put in tool c?

thank you

17. sutran

sutran Regular member

so with this slimtool thing you don have to let the lid open or cut any parts??

18. bl1nd101

bl1nd101 Member

this slimtool is awesome cuz it blocks the sensors and i think tool b makes it so that the pstwo thinks that ur lid is open when u put the disc inside unlike the ghost switch where it always thinks the pstwo lid is closed. plus with the slimtool u dont even have to unscrew anything or open the ps2 or cut anything it looks very simple and im expecting it soon in the mail. I cant wait!

19. BOUT2BUS

BOUT2BUS Guest