1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSTwo purchased .. but stuck .. swapmodding questions

Discussion in 'PS2' started by digitalep, Dec 29, 2004.

1. digitalep

digitalep Guest

Ok, so I just got my grimey little hands on a PSTwo finally, and I do not want to put a modchip in this lil guy, but I do want to play backups. So far I see 2 solutions based around the Swap Magic discs. There's the Ghost Switch and the Magic Switch. From what I gather, the Magic Switch doesn't require any opening of the console, whereas the Ghost Switch does.

I am really new to the PS2 modding world so I am not all that clear on how all this works. I am reading up on a bunch of Memory Card exploit stuff. Is it possible, if I am able to load my own save games to a card from a PC (i have a maxdrive USB memory card), would I be able to load a version of swap magic to it and launch it via a PS1 original?

Is there a better option (not a modchip) for me as a PSTwo owner. I guess any and all info on what you guys would do with a PSTwo in my situation would be VERY much appreciated. Help mold some knowledge. :)

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yes, there is a better solution, the modified pstwo fliptop they are now selling. With this, you can let the ps2 know you opened the top, or not let it know.

3. digitalep

digitalep Guest

that requires voiding warrenty though correct? i am a bit worried about voiding the warrenty due to reports of lasers crapping out.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i'm not totally sure, but i think you can pop off the original lid and put the fliptop on without opening the ps2. Check around or start a new thread on this.

5. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

It will void the warranty. But lets face it, the warranty on PS2s is only 90 days. If anything just wait to play your backups for that time period. I guarantee you that if the PSTWO craps out it will be after you start playing backups and fry the LA chip. Remember though, if youre out of warranty and your PS2 breaks just call and complain to Sony, they do fix some peoples PS2s (those that dont modify that is, wink wink) so flip top it and if it blows up call sony. Chances are.... youll be talking to Sony inside a year or so.

Ludikhris

6. johnim

johnim Guest

hi
    i have a new pstwo and use swapmagic 3.3 using the tools from techwizad.com (no warrenty void)and using dvdr - x8 and use nero 6.6 straight copy with no problems have done 40+ backups

7. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

The non warranty voiding tactics will work well for some and unreliably for others. I did a tape mod to my buddy's PSTwo and he has had no problems as of yet, but others have. And as far as using DVD-R 8x I reccomend strongly that you always check to make sure the media has been certified for your specific burner. If its not certified you can blow the LA chip and the laser on your PSTWO from playing media that has not been burned correctly. I blew my V9 by burning Ritek G05s on my Pioneer A06 because they are not fully compatible. Just food for thought
    Ludikhris

8. johnim

johnim Guest

hi i have a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-108 and are using datawrite 8x disks ttg02 manufature id, how do you find out if they are compatable