1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSTwo V12 Not Fully Booting - Help Needed

Discussion in 'PS2' started by BlueAlaya, Dec 4, 2004.

1. BlueAlaya

BlueAlaya Member

Hello!

Thankyou for reading this post.

I've been installing Mod-Chips for a while without any problems. I've done maybe 15 psx/ps2/xbox mods without any major problems. This is my first attempt at a V12 PS2.

I installed the Ghost 2 only to find that when I put it all back together, and plugged it in, it wouldn't boot. The red light comes on when I plug the DC cable in, and when I hit the reset button it turns green for 3-4 seconds or so, but then it turns back to red.

I've been working on this for hours; I desoldered the chip from the board, and removed as much solder from all of the points that I could. Nada. I searched the whole bottom of the board over, inch by inch, removing any specs of dust, solder, etc. I cleaned the chip leg as thoroughly as I possibly could, sliding a razor down between the soldered chip leg and the adjacent one, and making sure the contact was clean at the top of the chip by scraping some kynar 30 in between the legs. Still, nothing. There appear to be no shorts on the board. I've been staring at it, less soldering time, for 4-5 hours now, and I'm ready to throw it out and go buy a new one for the guy whom I'm doing this for.

I can hear power in the board. When I start it up, the pitch goes up a few octives, then makes a distorting sound, then drops back down when the light turns red again. Nothing comes up on the screen -- it doesn't flicker or anything.

Any suggestions as to points that I should examine. Any suggestions AT ALL would be more than greatly appreciated, as I'm totally stumped, and getting a tad bit frustrated (and it takes a lot to frustrate me).

Thanks in advance,

Alaya

2. Tcosta

Tcosta Member

I can't help you, but I wanted to know if you ever figured it out, because my v12 does the same thing. Thanks

3. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

if your having no luck fixing it, unsolder the mod and see if it works. If it does, just give the guy a refund with his chip and ps2 back.

If it doesnt work, exchange it for a new one at some store, and say that it was faulty and didnt work.

4. marcus21

marcus21 Member

Check the 3.3v regulator, i had same issue on V.9 PS2, might help.

Good luck.

5. Shizank

Shizank Member

Hey man, having the same problem. i've modded almost 30 slimline ps2's and it happend once, prolly around the 15th ps2, but i moved the lens (on the track) to the spindle part, turned it on, and it worked again. But recently i modded 3 machines and they have the same problem. Tried my trick again and it didn't work. I checked the ps2 manual and it says that if the ps2 does this, it's a overheat issue. This can't be, because the ps2 has not been turned on yet, this was suppose to be its first boot after modding. If ANYONE knows how to fix this disasterist problem, please help! i'm sitting here with 3 not turn-on-able pstwo's! i know they are not damaged! There is a cure for this problem! If someone knows, again, please help! Thank You! =)

e-mail: WhatsMyNameY2G@Hotmail.com

6. BlueAlaya

BlueAlaya Member

Hey.

I've managed to remedy the problem. It's a slightly sketchy solution, but check out www.ghost2.net forums.

This post here: http://www.ghost2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69
    eventually finds a solution, which worked for me and a few other people.

I had a laser come back burned after doing this, mind you, I didn't install a fix.

7. marcus21

marcus21 Member

Measure the 3.3 volt power point for your chip... If there is no voltage there after hitting power, try using and S3 component off a broken version 7, 8-9(if you have one laying around)...

good luck!

8. Shizank

Shizank Member

Fixed the problem. The jumper idea worked great. Simply take a wire and connect one part of '202' to the other part and there u go :)

Thanks for u'r help guys :)