1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sammorris, Sep 20, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I know my pc experience has been filled with problems, but has anyone else here got a Magna or "ebuyer" power supply? I bought one and its rubbish, with the occasional random turn-off. Has anyone else had any problems?

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, Magna Force is a reputable p/s manufacturer. I have one and have had no problems. Have you tested the unit? You may have gotten a defective one. Not all spontaneous reboots are the psu's doing.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't reboot, it physically TURNS OFF. as in lights go off, system deactivates, fans stop etc.

Plus, its not Magna Force, its just Magna, written in red letters. It was only £25 for a 600W 3fan one.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The PSU is the absolute last component you want to skimp on. All those those other fancy and expensive components in your system need clean stable power to operate and cheap PSU's at best don't provide that and at worst can fry components. The cheapies also rate the wattage output at temperatures far lower than the PSU will ever operate at so you can count on getting nowhere near the rated wattage, Poorly regulated voltages can be expected too.

Reputable PSU makers such as Antec, Enermax, Fortron or Power PC & Cooling will put out the wattage they claim, have tight voltage tolerances and a good warranty to back them up.

A quality PSU will have nice fat caps, inductors and heatsinks which add up to a PSU that is good and heavy. I'm a commercial/industrial electrician so I can vouch for that :)

I took my own advice when I laid out $220 for the best PSU money can buy - the PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe. It's got the tightest regulation in the industry, active line conditioning, adjustable pots, weighs a ton and is backed with a 5 year warranty.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  5. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

Yup got to agree neph

I underestimated my psu and bought a cheap qtech 550w, installed turned on and bye bye to 2 hdd It not only cost me for a new PSU (bought a zalman)but 2 new hdd's, last time i skimp on a psu

6. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

Raidmax ATX-400W CE power supply unit
    is this anygood as it coes with the case im getting i.e shuold i spend money on a better 1

7. Nephilim

I wouldn't trust Raidmax one bit. Most any PSU that comes bundled with a case is better off going striaght to the bin.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So to answer my question??????

9. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

The only way to be really sure is try another PSU a quality one would really be better

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah but the megacheap 250w inwin one that came with the pc was fine i just need a higher power one than that for a reasonable cost that works. By the way, in case this helps you determine the cause of the problem...

The problem occurs when i switch off the socket to the pc. Once i do that and then turn it on t use the pc next day, the problem occurs then goes away once i have turned the wall socket off/on again. If i leave the socket on, i don't experience the problem.

I appreciate it is hard to say, but if it stays like this i can live with it, i just want to know if the issue will deteriorate after i use it for more power (add an X800XT graphics card)

11. Nephilim

PSU's don't get better, they only go downhill. I've made my case for quality PSU's but it's your brand new X800XT so if you want to risk damaging it it's your choice :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah i didnt mean it get better, i meant would the problem get any worse with more current or would it stay the same...

13. Nephilim

It would undoubtedly get worse. Putting more load on an already failing PSU is a wonderful recipe for disaster.