1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSX backup on ver. 3 Fat PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bmast08, Jan 9, 2008.

1. bmast08

bmast08 Member

Hey there!

I'm attempting to use a swap trick to boot a backup game, and I have had no luck so far. The most it does is boot the Sony screen, then stay there ad infinitum.

I have a fat Playstation 2 with bios SCPH-30001 and a serial beginning with "U2". I've identified this as a version 3 PS2. Is it possible to use this swap method on my PS2?

1. Boot up PS2 with no game in it.
    2. Select "Browser"
    3. Insert normal PSX disc.
    4. Highlight the disc on the Browser screen.
    5. Use the slide card to swap in the backup game.
    6. Press 'X' on the disc image.
    7. Play...?

I can swap in another real game, and it boots just fine. However, when I attempt to do the backup, it never works. I have tried 3 different kinds of CDs and have burned the CloneCD image at the lowest speed both by burning straight from the image and copying from it as a virtual cd drive.

I appreciate any and all help which can be offered in this matter. I hope I have been descriptive enough of my situation.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Ben

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

it's not going to work. you either need breaker pro or gameshark2 v2. the ps2 only scans the disc in the browser, so it knows that it's a psx game. but once you click on it, it will initiate the psx boot sequence from the start.

3. bmast08

bmast08 Member

Thanks for the quick reply! However, there are a great deal of people who use this technique on their unmodded PS2's. Here is video evidence on YouTube, and there are many more video tutorials like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6-FxgX86A&feature=related

This trick seems to be fairly common-knowledge, I'm just curious why I can't get it going on my own PS2. The problem probably lies in the burns, but I'm determined to figure this out. Thanks again!

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the browser swap only works for v9 and v10(?) ps2.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  5. bmast08

bmast08 Member

Oh, is that a fact? That's all I needed to know. Thank you so much for your help, as you've been very informative! Take it easy!

Sincerely,
    Ben

6. comwiz

comwiz Member

Well, I have a V3 PS2 also and It freezes at the PS1 logo screen. But my brother's V5 works just fine.