1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSX ON PSP. Please help answer last few questions...

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by mrmag2000, Jul 9, 2007.

1. mrmag2000

mrmag2000 Member

Ok, over the last few days, I have purchased two PSP’s. I have one that is still unopened. The other one came with firmware 2.71. I upgraded to 3.5 then successfully downgraded to 1.5.

Then I read that you were able to play your PSX games on PSP. So I read dozens of threads here and on other websites and am still a little confused on the firmware needed to run PSX. I've found that you can use 3.03OE, 3.10OE and 3.40OE. Is there any others you can use? In my situation, I have the 1.5 firmware and the new one unopened (probably containing 2.71). The reason why I got two PSP’s is to be able to play my homebrew games on 1.5, and still take advantage of the new games the require an upgrade to the newer firmware.

So the question now is..... is there a way to play PSX games on my 1.5 and still use it for homebrew games? or should I use the new unopened PSP. If I do use the new unopened PSP, is there a disadvantage in going to 3.03 to play PSX games? Keep in mind, I want to be able to do all of the following between the two PSP’s I own:

• Play homebrew
    • Watch video converted to PSP compatible files
    • Play PSX games
    • Browse the net
    • Play the newest UMD games

What do you experts suggest? I have detailed instructions on how to play PSX games on the PSP, so that part is taken care of, but I just need help with the firmware options…. Basically, just looking for all of the options I have. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

2. zachier

zachier Regular member

I'm no expert(quite a n00b, actually), but I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

Since one of your PSP is now downgraded to firmware version 1.50, you can now upgrade to a custom firmware such as 3.40 OE-A. 3.40 OE-A, I beleive, is the latest custom firmware to date. With this firmware, you are granted with the same features as the official Sony 3.40 firmware, with the ability to run homebrew games and applications at the same time. =)

Hope that helps. ;)

3. mrmag2000

mrmag2000 Member

Ok, thanks for the help. This is great news! So it sounds like I dont really need the second PSP. I can return that one....

Is there any disavantage in going to the 3.40oe-a firmware? is there any features I would be losing compared to any other firmware? (besides anything higher than 3.40 that's official sony of course)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. mrbling22

mrbling22 Member

Dont need an expert to tell you this, so,

Return the second PSP, as you can play homebrew, watch videos, surf the net, play psx games, and backup your games on your memory stick with a 3.40oe-a psp.

Although since im still quite a noob as well, I dont know about playing the newest UMD games (e.g what if a game needs a 3.50 fw psp theres no 3.50oe-a fw can you play it?)

5. mrmag2000

mrmag2000 Member

Ok, I got everything to work so far..... upgraded to 3.40oe-a (from 1.5) Installed my nes and snes emu's and roms. and also got the D12 N64 emu to work. Played Mario 64 and it played pretty damn good! Some sound issues...but that's not a big deal. Next, i'm gonna take on PS1 roms later tonight.

At first I couldnt get 3.40oe-a to run anything... but then I formated the MS via PSP, and changed the active firmware to 1.5 in the 3.40oe-a settings.... uploaded the emu's and roms into the Game folder and BAMM!! No more error screens or anything. Everything I loaded played! Zelda OOT played kinda bad....frame rate was just super low, but I bet if I tweaked a couple things here and there, it might be ok. I'm much more interested in Zelda MM anyway...so I probably wont spend much time on OOT. I heard MM plays better.

Very happy so far with 3.40oe-a

Anyone that needs limited help on anything that I went thru, feel free to post in this thread and I'll try to help the best I can.